Barbie 2016

(2 Posts)
FirstWeTakeManhattan Sat 30-Jan-16 14:05:34

First I've seen of the new, allegedly more 'realistic' Barbies. ANyone bought one? What are they like in the erm…flesh plastic?

Any thoughts? I've never really liked trad Barbie dolls so DD's have Lottie dolls instead, which they're happy with (so far).

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/28/barbie-finally-becomes-a-real-girl-with-more-realistic-figure-and-skin-colours

0phelia Sat 30-Jan-16 22:19:38

Well I only have a 13mo son so won't be buying him one.

Cynically I know they are only doing it to chase higher sales figures and more PR, not because companies like this actually care about the long lasting psychological effect regarding body-image that dolls like these have on impressionable young girls.

However, new attitudes like this from influential brands may <positive thinking> filter through to mainstream, and we may see more diversity in modelling, advertising, girl bands and other areas that traditionally promote eating disorder level thinness, white skin and silicone enhancements.

So, long time coming and bravo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now