Tim Peake heading to the ISS countdown....

(40 Posts)
megletthesecond Mon 14-Dec-15 22:12:28

Almost time for lift off...

Weather permitting the ISS should be visible over the UK tomorrow evening too. We'll give him a wave from the garden.

Jeffjefftyjeff Mon 14-Dec-15 22:19:08

🚀it is quite exciting🚀

Palomb Mon 14-Dec-15 22:23:07

It's exciting isn't it! I watche half the Horizon heater and am going to watch the other half now.. (Fell asleep!)

I'd love to go up to the ISS but I dont think I'd be much use I'd just spend all the time gazing out of the window. I can't imagine that ever gets old.

TheSkiingGardener Mon 14-Dec-15 22:24:19

Oh I wish him luck. So exciting!

RNBrie Mon 14-Dec-15 22:25:31

I am really looking forward to tomorrow! I hope everything goes smoothly for them, I'm glad it's being covered properly in the media, it's so exciting. 🚀

LineyReborn Mon 14-Dec-15 22:29:03

This is really exciting. I love watching the ISS.

It was DanDorkingFM, a MNer, who first got me interested years ago.

OopsEEDaisyButtercup Mon 14-Dec-15 22:31:49

Got the timer on to record it all at home! I'll be at work but we have a TV in main reception so guess where I'll be spending my coffee break?!

megletthesecond Mon 14-Dec-15 22:33:47

We've watched so many ISS videos on you tube, the dc's love the ones with water and the toilet hmm.

PigeonPie Mon 14-Dec-15 22:44:27

We've been really interested in it all since we listened to Chris Hadfield reading his book 'An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth' as an audio book; it's such a good book and even better as it's read by him. Well worth a listen / read - even the DSs who must have been 6 and 8 really enjoyed it.

megletthesecond Tue 15-Dec-15 07:00:43

That sounds good pigeon. You can never have enough Commander Hadfield.

Not long to go now.

SmileAndNod Tue 15-Dec-15 07:08:54

They're watching the lift off at school this morning. We always go out to watch the space station. The children never get tired of it. I don't think I'd get much work done up there, just spend my time looking at earth.

Will check out that audiobook pigeonpie, DS would love that

PigeonPie Tue 15-Dec-15 07:25:37

We also gave it as a proper book to the DS's teachers at the end of term last year but I suspect they weren't very impressed!

ScrappyMalloy Tue 15-Dec-15 07:32:29

We are really excited too. Tim is originally a local boy, and went to DS's secondary school, so the school is buzzing grin

DS has the same science teacher too, so it all feels very close to home.

Go Tim!

SuffolkNWhat Tue 15-Dec-15 07:43:21

We're hoping to see it live in school as my class are part of the Orimary Project linked to it

PigeonPie Tue 15-Dec-15 07:45:43

Scrappy - that's so exciting. Must make everyone feel so much more involved.

AuntieStella Tue 15-Dec-15 07:54:40

A kind MNetter linked the NASA site yesterday.

If you want to watch on your phone, their coverage is here:

www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/schedule.html#.Vm_G3sSQGrW

(looks like BBC will be carrying a lot as well, but timings might slip)

ScrappyMalloy Tue 15-Dec-15 09:50:14

Pigeon they have a film crew there this morning and everything! It's really fired them all up about science over the last few weeks smile

PigeonPie Tue 15-Dec-15 10:47:28

I am supposed to be working (I work from home). Instead I'm watching the television!

wavingfuriously Tue 15-Dec-15 10:54:16

watching this on telly really exciting ..smile

wavingfuriously Tue 15-Dec-15 11:16:09

amazing + breathed sign of relief ...remember watching one from the past..

PigeonPie Tue 15-Dec-15 12:21:22

Waving - that was in the back of my mind too. But I was really reassured when they said that even if the rocket fails, there's a way to get the crew safely down. Was also thinking about his wife and sons.

megletthesecond Tue 15-Dec-15 12:43:25

Phew. Lift off went smoothly. I went round to peek at the office reception tv and was holding my breath for a minute.

DinoSnores Tue 15-Dec-15 17:11:39

Watching the docking now. The crosshairs are aligned with the target!

littlewoollypervert Tue 15-Dec-15 17:17:51

I'm on the Guardian website but the view is moving AWAY from the ISS? (in work so stuck with just my phone)

littlewoollypervert Tue 15-Dec-15 17:19:10

Oh apparently it's in fly around mode to get in position blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now