Nepal earthquake- nearly 4000 dead- there ARE things we can do

(26 Posts)
Shallishanti Mon 27-Apr-15 19:45:12

Good article here that explains what is useful (and what isn't)
and here are some charities that are helping

AuntieStella Tue 28-Apr-15 12:24:34

I've seen on TV news that the Government seems to be sending most of the Brigade of Gurkhas, especially engineers, and deploying RAF planes to move aid into the country.

EdithWeston Tue 28-Apr-15 12:26:08

www.dec.org.uk/appeals/nepal-earthquake-appeal

Shallishanti Tue 28-Apr-15 18:43:37

so...only 3 of us interested shock

AuntieStella Tue 28-Apr-15 18:46:45

I heard Joanna Lumley making the DEC appeal on the Beeb just before the news. I think she was exactly the right person to front this one.

(I'm sure not just 3 of us)

RedButtonhole Tue 28-Apr-15 18:51:02

I'm interested, we started organising some fundraising today.

TweenageAngst Tue 28-Apr-15 19:00:55

Thanks for this Shalli, I just donated via DEC.

Stradbroke Tue 28-Apr-15 19:10:34

I donated via DEC.

NewTwenty Tue 28-Apr-15 19:11:38

I am going to donate to DEC.

Shallishanti Tue 28-Apr-15 19:19:06

great, let's try and keep this in active convos

Rivercam Tue 28-Apr-15 19:22:45

My brother used to live and work in Nepal. Where he used to live is on the edge of where the earthquake struck. He loved it there.

ArcheryAnnie Tue 28-Apr-15 19:28:48

I've donated to a local ex-Gurkha group who are collecting. It must be very difficult to carry on with your job as normal when you are worrying about relatives going through this.

RedButtonhole Tue 28-Apr-15 19:51:52

Just bumping to keep this in Active Threads.

My college lecturer has done alot of work in Nepal and had just got on a flight home a couple of hours before the earthquake hit. We are holding some fundraising and donation events at college and hoping to raise a fair bit.

fhdl34 Tue 28-Apr-15 21:01:16

I got an email today from lend with care and if you donate through the big give they will double the donations for a limited time. I already donated through DEC this morning otherwise I'd have done that instead.

Just donated to DEC

Shallishanti Tue 28-Apr-15 22:18:19

do you have a link fhdi34?

madmother1 Tue 28-Apr-15 22:57:47

Just donated. It's just so terrible how they are living confused

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Tue 28-Apr-15 23:03:29

I heard something on R4 this afternoon talking to some Nepalese who live in Aldershot (?) or some other army town. It was really moving sad

One of them is a doctor who will shortly be travelling to Nepal with about 15 other doctors plus as much medical & other equipment as they can muster - especially orthopaedic stuff.

Candycoco Tue 28-Apr-15 23:07:57

Just donated. Thanks for posting the link, wouldn't have known how to otherwise.

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 28-Apr-15 23:22:05

My brother is out there on Everest shock. I'm not sure which is the best (most effective) method of donating. What I'd really like to do is get on a plane and go and help practically but I believe the last thing they need is a westerner with no idea taking up food and resources...

Kampeki Tue 28-Apr-15 23:38:04

Please dig deep into your pockets and give as much as you can. Nepal is a desperately poor country, and lots of help is urgently required.

I have a lot of Nepali friends, many of whom live in the affected areas. Communication has been sporadic but the situation is desperate, and people are very scared. There is a lot of work going on on the ground, but it just isn't enough.

Nepal is a beautiful country. Nowhere have I met more hospitable, kind and sincere people. They are courageous, and they will overcome this tragedy, but they cannot do it on their own.

Please help if you can.

oricella Wed 29-Apr-15 10:30:21

Another bump..

I struggle to get my head round the devastation - have spent quite a bit of time in Nepal a few decades ago and so many beautiful places are gone. I worry about old friends and people I work with. It shouldn't be different, but somehow it is when you have faces and names to go with disasters like this

meglet Wed 29-Apr-15 22:20:38

Bump.

itscurtains really hope your brother is ok.

My neighbours have been over there visiting family for a couple of weeks sad.

fhdl34 Thu 30-Apr-15 05:41:56

Sorry no link as I deleted the email because I'd already donated

Athrawes Fri 01-May-15 00:32:28

The first part of the article is the hardest for many to hear and one of the most important. This is not about us and our feelings. If we need to DO something raise money, give money, however little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now