Support the campaign to re-open York Mother and Baby Unit

(3 Posts)
mum421972 Fri 22-Aug-14 10:20:24

I would be very grateful if people could support my petition to get the Mother and Baby unit in York re-opened for mothers suffering from severe post-natal depression and other pregnancy related mental health conditions. I needed this service after the birth of my second child 2 years ago but York had just closed the year before and Leeds was full. The nearest available unit was Morpeth which was 2 hours away. I was there for 3 months and I had excellent treatment and I will always be grateful to the staff there for helping me to get my life back, but I feel I would have recovered quicker had I been closer to home and family and friends. Therefore I have decided to set up a campaign so that other mothers who may need this service do not have to travel so far away to get treatment. I would also be interested in hearing from anyone else in the York area who has had a similar experience as I am sure I am not the only one. Please feel free to email me on sinead1972@hotmail.co.uk

Petition link:

www.change.org/p/simon-stevens-chief-executive-nhs-england-re-open-the-mother-and-baby-unit-in-york-bootham-for-treating-mothers-with-severe-post-natal-depression

Many thanks!

Sinead Willis
York

HeySoulSister Fri 22-Aug-14 11:11:16

Why did it close??

mum421972 Fri 22-Aug-14 11:38:53

Good question. I am trying to find out more about that. At the moment this is all I have found (see link below). Something about it not being accredited. I need to find out more about what this means. As far as I am aware the unit had been open for about 20 years so there was obviously a demand for it.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-17221703

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now