British IS members behead American Journalist.

(162 Posts)
TheLavender Thu 21-Aug-14 08:54:52

I am horrified by the news of the beheading of American journalist James Foley and the other atrocities by IS. Apparently there are 500+ British jihadis fighting for IS and the person who beheaded the journalist is British!

I am hanging my head in shame because WE let this happen. David Cameron, our elected leader has been pussyfooting around this issue for years for fear of offending people and now this has come back to bite us on the backside. He should be ashamed of himself. He has more blood on his hands and I hope Barack Obama rips pieces off him for giving these people free reign to breed their ideology in the green house conditions of Britain. We have not kept a tight leash on our home grown terrorists and now we are going to heavily pay the price for it. It is an absolute farce that we are in Iraq trying to liberate people from IS and we are the ones supplying the IS Jihadis in the first place. I also believe they are using the weapons that we left behind! Perhaps DC's sudden turnaround on using military action against IS has more to do with the fact that he knows our 500 soldiers over there are going to cause us major international embarrassment rather than him having any empathy for the poor Iraqi people.

As you can see I am very upset about this. I came on here to join a discussion about but there weren't any! I am on the fence as to who I am going to vote for in the GE next year but DC has actually lost my vote on this. He is weak and an appeaser.

shakethetree Thu 21-Aug-14 08:58:48

YANBU - but it's not just DC, Labour were worse for burying their heads in the sand - it's too late now to really do anything, it's out of control.

LittleBearPad Thu 21-Aug-14 09:02:19

I'm sorry but it isn't David Cameron's fault that an extremist has chosen to behead someone. The responsibility for that lies with the jihadi. Islamic extremism has been a force for several years now, going back to the 80s and 90s.

JustAShopGirl Thu 21-Aug-14 09:07:25

A person - a person in another country - has chosen to behead someone else because of his own beliefs - and you blame our prime minister?

Ilovexmastime Thu 21-Aug-14 09:08:57

What bit of it do you want to discuss TheLavendar? What our government could have done to stop young men leaving this country to fight for their principles in another country? The only thing I can think of is that maybe there aren't enough resources to keep tabs on everyone who is at risk? Do we need to be diverting more money into intelligence?
I honestly don't know the answer to this problem.

creekyknees Thu 21-Aug-14 09:12:04

I was shocked to see the French Journalist who was held captive with James Foley speaking on BBC this morning saying the French Government had secured his release but the UK and US will not engage in talks "demands" sad

I suppose thats for another thread but all of our previous Governments are responsible alongside Cameron for whats happening in the ME.

YANBU - but it's not just DC, Labour were worse for burying their heads in the sand - it's too late now to really do anything, it's out of control

I couldnt agree more.

TheLavender Thu 21-Aug-14 09:13:03

But it's not just one jihadi. There are 500+ of them and probably more booking their flights online as we speak after the publicity of this mans death. That is quite a lot of dangerous people to slip through the net.

elephanteraser Thu 21-Aug-14 09:14:51

WE didn't let this happen the only guilty party is the murderer.

and why is this is aibu?

shakethetree Thu 21-Aug-14 09:15:47

But they're not just fighting for their principles in another country are they - they're doing it here in the UK - have you forgotten the brutal murder of Lee Rigby already?

I think it's important to keep a sense of perspective. Out of a nation of 60 million, a few hundred disturbed young men have gone off to Syria. It's a serious problem but it's not like the UK is cranking out jihadists by the thousands.

There is actually a LOT of work being done on this and I think it will step up even more. Google counter-radicalisation UK

My critique lies more with the successive Western governments who monumentally screwed up Iraq and Syria in the first place.

Boysclothes Thu 21-Aug-14 09:19:58

Do you think this will have any impact on UK-US relations?

1sneezecakesmum Thu 21-Aug-14 09:22:51

The political leaders have been pussyfooting around this for years unwilling to appear racist by tackling Islamic extremist preachers. The imams and leaders in the Muslim community have also turned a blind eye for years and it is now coming back to bite them.

Political leaders and leaders of the Muslim community are now facing up to this and condemning extremists but it's a typical barn door exercise.

When these fighters return they will face legal sanctions which will of course make them look like martyrs and inspire further Islamic extremism in the impressionable young.

The internet needs policing too because there is so much more out there leading to these problems.

creeky yes some governments do negotiate for hostages.... the Japanese as well will pay out for hostages. It's a tricky debate because the argument is that if you pay out, it will just encourage people to take more hostages. Yet Americans and Brits keep getting kidnapped despite their governments not negotiating, because of their political value.

There was however apparently a special forces attempt to free the hostages a month ago but it failed because the camp had been moved.

MajesticWhine Thu 21-Aug-14 09:23:37

TheLavender What do you think the government should do? People hold up their hands in horror at "draconian" anti-terror laws.

Apparently there are 500+ British jihadis fighting for IS and the person who beheaded the journalist is British!

apparently is a guess. There is no proof nor actual numbers.

journalist is British is another guess. Already voice comparisons and forensic investigations are saying there is another, underlying, accent. I would agree as certain words are 'clipped' and slightly twisted which makes believe it is more likely to be a foreign born English speaker.

fairyfuckwings Thu 21-Aug-14 09:28:29

Actually bohemian I thnk we ARE cranking them out in their thousands. I was reading earlier that 500 is a very conservative number. A Birmingham mp was quoted as. Saying he believes it's more like 2000.

Abra1d Thu 21-Aug-14 09:34:47

I would like to see some more public denunciations by Muslim groups in the UK of this horrible crime. Perhaps there have been some already: apologies if so.

The religious leaders should be putting flyers through the door of every household and posters on the doors of every mosque in areas of known radical tendency telling people that they can expect arrest and possible charging and deportation if they withhold information about people who are doing these things and bringing our country into disrepute. They should also be telling them that they are bringing their religion and people into disrepute.

Nobody knows how many but the best estimates -- based on people spending months and months looking at data -- are still closer to the 500 mark. The 2000 estimate is for Europeans in total.

fairyfuckwings Thu 21-Aug-14 09:38:38

Whatever the current estimate is though - they're still recruiting. And people are still joining them.

Abra1d Thu 21-Aug-14 09:44:43

Including those 16-year-old all A* GCSE twin girls from the north who wanted to become doctors, and went off to Syria, saying they wanted to train to treat Islamic State fighters. So sad.

JapaneseMargaret Thu 21-Aug-14 09:49:10

God, I loathe organised religion.

It fucking scares me. As a woman. But as a human being, as well. It might not be PC to say, but it's how I feel. And not just Islam.

Why are moderate believers not speaking out about this, and distancing themselves from it?

Thebodyloveschocolateandwine Thu 21-Aug-14 09:51:26

This radicalisation had gone on for years. That hook handed vile man used to hold up the traffic to hold meetings. The labour admin allowed it.

Britain was called Londonistan by the French.

It's all a big too late.

Like every conflict you have to kill the mad and negotiate with the bad.

It's time to start doing that and putting pressure on Egypt and Saudi Arabia from funding them.

The reason they find them is to fill these kids with religious nonsense and fever to stop them really seeing the truth that the biggest oppressors of Muslims are not the west but their own vile regimes.

gamerchick Thu 21-Aug-14 09:52:44

Voldemort. .. that's been the problem all along with that religion. Nobody wants the hassle of trying to talk about it without being accused of allsorts.

That's why there aren't any.. everybody's turning a blind eye in the hope the heed the balls that are killing on telly will just quietly bugger off.

Thebodyloveschocolateandwine Thu 21-Aug-14 09:53:11

japanesemargret

Agree it scared me too.

Abra1d Thu 21-Aug-14 10:01:40

I was a member of an organised religion for years and years and was never inspired or prompted to commit any act of violence at all, ever. I was prompted to give time and money to charity and to be kind to my fellow human beings. Tarring all organised religions with the same brush is not the answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now