Meriam Ibrahim to be released!!!!

(77 Posts)
Downamongtherednecks Sat 31-May-14 17:51:10

Thank goodness. She refused to renounce Christianity, gave birth shackled in a filthy jail and was sentenced to hang for apostasy against Islam, despite never having been muslim. www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27651483

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 31-May-14 20:03:38

It is great news but all the systems that lead to this are still in place. sad

BobTheFly Sat 31-May-14 20:11:25

Do you have a link because i cant find this news on any of my news apps? Thanks

BobTheFly Sat 31-May-14 20:12:59

I've read the op link but still can't find it on my BBC app or sky news app. Any ideas?

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 31-May-14 20:13:59

This was tweeted by the guardian, I'll find a link.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 31-May-14 20:18:47
BobTheFly Sat 31-May-14 21:17:07

Thank you.

qazxc Sat 31-May-14 21:23:14

I really hope they do let her go.

keepyourchinupdear Sat 31-May-14 21:29:32

Thank goodness! I hope her, her baby & family leave Sudan safely, never to return.

I feel truly blessed to live in the uk.

FriendofDorothy Sat 31-May-14 21:29:41

Wonderful news. I just hope it actually happens. I won't get too excited until I can see her released and in another country.

Please God let it be true!

mrsruffallo Sat 31-May-14 21:32:10

Great News!

bakingtins Sat 31-May-14 21:32:52

smile wonderful news

MrsDiesel Sat 31-May-14 21:33:18

Brilliant news. Watching this story sickened me, every aspect of it was hotrifying.

Oh fantastic! Lets hope they don't ever do this to another person again

SantanaLopez Sat 31-May-14 21:35:18

Please let this be true!

keepyourchinupdear Sat 31-May-14 21:44:25

No, no, no. I've just checked channel 4 news. Her lawyer says she's not going to be freed! Fuck sake what the fuck is wrong with these cunts!!

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 31-May-14 23:23:08

What? Why? shock

JaneParker Sun 01-Jun-14 08:32:57

The Times 3 hours ago but it may not be accurate of course. We should stop all foreign aid to Sudan. It treats women appallingly. Or our aid shoudl only go to women for micro businesses by way of small loans.
Just looked it up - we are a huge donor there:
"Britain is the second largest single country donor to Sudan contributing contributed £175m of aid since 2003 [10] In 2004, the British government committed 2 planes to help with the aid effort in Darfur.[11]
In 2004, Britain confirmed that its aid package had been nearly doubled to £34.5 million, compared to European Union commitment of £7.8 million.[12] In 2006, the British government committed USD 76 million to aid efforts in Darfur to help the world's largest aid operation"

Times :

" Sudanese authorities are reportedly planning to free Meriam Ibrahim, the woman sentenced to death for abandoning her Islamic faith.

Abdullahi Alzareg, an under-secretary at Sudan’s foreign ministry, has said that the 27-year-old woman will be freed from custody “within days”.

“The lady will be freed within days in line with legal procedure that will be taken by the judiciary and the ministry of justice,” he said.

“She will definitely not be executed. I am sure about this,” he told The Sunday Times.

Mr Alzareg did not give any further details about how Ms Ibrahim would be released.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: “We are aware of and urgently seeking clarification from the Sudanese authorities of reports that Meriam Ibrahim, the mother facing the death penalty in Sudan, is to be freed.

“We have been strongly urging the government of the Republic of Sudan to do all it can to overturn its decision to sentence her to death.”

Floundering Sun 01-Jun-14 08:37:24

I'll believe it when I see her at the airport.

I pray she will be released.
That would be some good news indeed in the crazy, sad world it sometimes feels like we live in sad

gelati3 Sun 01-Jun-14 08:47:21

It may be a ploy by the Sudanese Government to get this matter out of the international spotlight. Need to continue pressing until Meriam is indeed released. Hopefully she and her family will move to USA, as I understand that her husband has American citizenship. (I would hope they would also be welcome in UK, as my concern is that she would also be at risk from the hardliners in Sudan).

Apostasy is a crime in a number of countries including Pakistan, Saudi Arabia.

This may sound an idealistic thing to say but it's so wrong when someone cannot freely change their beliefs and their faith isn't it? (though with Meriam is it right that she has never been a muslim?)

Freedom of belief and expression is such an important and fundamental human right.

keepyourchinupdear Sun 01-Jun-14 08:54:04

I'll believe it when I see her & her husband & two children arrive at an US/other safe country's airport.

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Sun 01-Jun-14 09:33:15

We should stop all foreign aid to Sudan I have to agree with this.

I am also worried that this is just a delaying tactic to get it out of the news.

hackmum Sun 01-Jun-14 11:09:06

gelati is right - at least in the news report I saw there was some scepticism about whether this was really going to happen or whether it was just to get people to shut up about it.

I find this case unbelievably shocking.

MrsBungle Sun 01-Jun-14 11:13:47

Great news she's being released. Does this mean all the charges against her are dropped?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now