Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Please tell me this headline is wrong.. (Exit poll news from Italy)

(137 Posts)

Le Pen is first? my Italian is crap.

Ill have a look at French news (which would make sense, esp as my French is better!)

Yes - it's on the bbc website too.

I thought the bbc aren't allowed to report on exit polls, Tis what bbc 24 said. (Typing one handed due to old cat squashing me)

I thought the bbc aren't allowed to report on exit polls, Tis what bbc 24 said. (Typing one handed due to old cat squashing me and mn keeps crashing out.)

I think they're reporting that she has claimed victory based on exit polls rather than the exit polls themselves.

Are there any threads where people are talking euros that I've not spotted? I'm surprised that there isn't an instant response to the news.

Denmark and Austria have swung to the far right too.

TheBogQueen Sun 25-May-14 21:26:41

Just think - we are about to add UKIP!

Hope all UKIP voters are proud of themselves

It's a dark day for Europe. National Democratic Party in Germany have also managed to get a member elected.

I feel quite angry as a good part of this is down to voter apathy. If the moderate went and voted then extremists would have much less chance.

Above has been confirmed officially.

Exit poll 25% le Pen.

Maryz Sun 25-May-14 22:11:54

I'm in Ireland.

Protest votes are all very well, but really shock voting for extremists because you are protesting against the government is a bit pathetic. Though our protest vote isn't really right wing - it's just extreme the other way.

NE - labour, ukip, labour

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sun 25-May-14 22:14:26

It is a stain across Europe. sad

Ukip 32% south Gloucestershire
Ukip 39% Poole.

Maryz Sun 25-May-14 22:25:22

I have a theory about European (and in our case, local, elections).

They come mid-term, when everyone is pissed off with the government. So everyone just votes against whoever is currently in power. Which means voting for people who don't make policy, aren't even attempting to run the country, but are pretending that if they were in power they could solve the problems of tax, social housing, jobs, eduction etc.

In Ireland they vote for single issues independents, in other countries they vote for extremists.

It's bonkers, and means that the European parliament doesn't really represent the views of any of the countries involved.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sun 25-May-14 22:26:29

I agree Maryz.

Eastern region ukip, con, labour, ukip, con, ukip, con

Unfortunately though Mary Europe does still count.

Maryz Sun 25-May-14 22:30:19

Sinn Féin is cleaning up here sad

You think UKIP is bad. They may be threatening awful things. Sinn féin have done them, and got away with them angry

Ermm, that came out a bit wrong, it's not unfortunate that Europe counts but it's unfortunate that that it will now have strong racist leanings at the heart of its policy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now