Questions for Premier League boss on his sexist emails?

(119 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

KatieMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-May-14 20:38:48

Following the news that Richard Scudamore, Chief Exec of the Premier League is to face a formal hearing about his sexist emails, Mumsnet users on this thread have been suggesting some questions he needs to answer.

'How would you feel as a woman working in your organisation?'

'Are you an asset to England's bid to host the 2019 [women's] world cup?'

'As a manager, how would you have responded if one of your staff had done this?'

What questions do you think he should face at his hearing on Tuesday? Let us know your thoughts and we'll compile the best into a page on the site.

Thanks

MNHQ

BarbarianMum Thu 15-May-14 12:06:55

Correction:

How do you reconcile your personal beliefs with your professional duties?

BIWI Thu 15-May-14 13:26:29

Do you consider yourself to be a professional?

BinkysMom Thu 15-May-14 17:07:40

1. Do you speak in similar degrading terms of people of colour in your personal conversations?

2. Would you expect to keep your position if the contents of your private emails were racist instead of sexist?

3. Do you think this organisation should deal with sexism less severely than racism?

hoobypickypicky Thu 15-May-14 17:21:17

You're a qualified referee. Do you believe that women should be be permitted to officiate at men's games?

Do you still referee and if so do you not think that your comments about half the country's population - some of whom play or referee football while others are avid spectators of the sport - has made your position as an unbiased adjudicator untenable?

Do you not feel that your personal views are not just at odds with but are inseparable from your involvement with organisations such as the equality body 'Kick It Out' and the grass-roots body, the Football Foundation?

Will you resign from your position in the Premier League if the League loses sponsorship as a result of your recent comments about women?

Spiritedwolf Thu 15-May-14 17:44:09

Lets not forget those Mumsnet Classics...

Did you mean to be so rude?
Are you okay? [head tilt]

How could you joke about the Chinese one child policy, especially in direct relation to you having several children. Do you have any idea of the horrific consequences of that policy? How dare you joke that most of your children shouldn't have been born? (or only be allowed to survive if male) Do you really think that's funny? hmm Why?

Will you offer a public, sincere, unreserved apology to the women you have directly and indirectly offended including your wife and children?

Should your wife choose to divorce you for unreasonable behaviour over your vile comments, will you recognise that she is entirely justified to do so and offer a generous settlement (hint: well over half of the marital assets) in acknowledgement of your inadequacy as a man, husband and father and the damage you have done.

In the (hopefully) unlikely event that you cling onto your job...

Will you commit to
1. having an independent assessment done of how your organisation is not meeting and exceeding the requirements of equality legislation?
2. Have all members of staff (including yourself) go on regular courses about how to treat women and girls as human beings worthy of respect?
3. Increasing female representation on boards and at all levels of management to 50%
4. Doing everything within your power and your organisation's power to treat women's football with the same respect, finance etc as provided to the men's football.
5. Launch a high profile campaign to stamp out sexism in football
6. Codifying all these new practices into the rules of your organisation and support any legislation which would require you to follow these or other further measures to further equality and the elimination of sexism in football.

this one is for your own good...
7. Refraining from making any comments about women and girls personally unless they have been pre-approved by a feminist - or develop an internal filter to stop you saying or typing anything which doesn't respect women as human beings.

8. If you continue to have the urge to say or type such comments, please get yourself a therapist to help you with your mother issues.

Does that cover everything?

fielsted Thu 15-May-14 18:27:37

Given the improving, but still lower, profile of women's football in the UK, what characteristics ought a spokesperson for the game display? To what extent do you feel you are suited to this role?

Many might feel that following your widely publicised email references to women, your position has become untenable. How would you respond to such opinions?

Why would you feel that an apology was enough? Your position requires that you publicly carry responsibility for the promotion of equality for all in the sport of football. Your choice of words demonstrated the opposite. You have to resign.

CommunistLegoBloc Thu 15-May-14 18:56:20

Do you feel that similarly expressed views denigrating a race or religion would be acceptable? If not, then how to you justify the vilification of 51% of the population?

How can you defend the opinion that many now have of you, which is that you view women as inferior to men? How does this correlate with your commitments to the female members of your family?

Panwearsrosa Thu 15-May-14 18:57:06

Does anyone else have a slightly uncomfortable feeling about a HQ 'sponsored' effort to interfere with this process. Sure, he should have resigned on Sunday. He demonstrably isn't fit to govern over his sphere of authority re women's footie (and anything else connected with issues outside his own little mind), but this effort almost fits in with a 'campaign' which is fair enough, so at least HQ should be more transparent than setting off a hare on this.

I can't be bothered with him.
I'd sack him instantly for failing to master something as simple as an email system.
On second thoughts - do you think he has arranged this deliberately, so he can walk out of the job with a big pay-off ?

Panwearsrosa Thu 15-May-14 19:10:47

No I'd doubt it at least. He's (relatively) young and any other large institution agreeing to give him a job would be looking for other untainted candidates. He just had his unpleasant under-belly/genuine thought processes exposed.

captainmummy Thu 15-May-14 19:27:50

I just wonder what he thinks of the players that he is supposed to represent and support.

LineRunner Thu 15-May-14 19:46:51

(My MN username is dedicated to Sian Massey btw.)

Do you think Sian Massey is 'gash'? If so, why? If not, why not?

BIWI Thu 15-May-14 20:22:03

No, Pan, I do not. Why should I? What he said was indefensible and if MN have any clout at all to make it even more obvious that this man has said such offensive things, then why not? Why not make a campaign about it? And, actually, I think it is pretty transparent.

DoctorTwo Thu 15-May-14 20:29:44

I know, Liney. Sian is possibly the best ref since that bald Italian geezer. She is honestly that good. I've seen her ref in tinpot football and get everything right, and run the line in the PL and get everything right. I can't say that about other refs.

NeilDiamondRocks Thu 15-May-14 20:47:53

Why are you so stupid?

Panwearsrosa Thu 15-May-14 20:58:36

BIWI - yes, sure, make a bold statement, as MNHQ, not imo invite some 'questions' to be asked of RS in a formal hearing/procedure (which largely won't be asked as barristers defending will successfully have them deemed irrelevant, and poss be raised as evidence as a 'trial by media'). This particular device almost derides the honest intent.
So yes have a 'campaign' or HQ statement, but not being either one thing or another.

Panwearsrosa Thu 15-May-14 21:00:45

for the pedant in me, neither one thing nor another

hoobypickypicky Thu 15-May-14 22:24:37

"I just wonder what he thinks of the players that he is supposed to represent and support."

As money-making entertainers in the business which is football, captainmummy, not as professional athletes who deserve to be protected from harm and the game to be played fairly.

He made that clear when he told a meeting of elite Prem referees that it was "bad for the brand" (i.e. the Premier League) for players to be sent off and that he wanted them on the pitch as much as possible.

He doesn't give a shit about fair play or potential career ending injury, it would seem, so long as the players remember that they're (quote) "part of the entertainment business" and keep the money rolling in.

TinTinsSexySister Fri 16-May-14 00:09:13

Will you be applying the "double decker" policy to your own daughters' and their partners?

How do you think that makes them feel?

Do you believe your daughters to be intelligent human beings, talented, hard working and as capable as men?

How do you think your remarks make them feel?

When reflecting on your emails, do you now accept you are in fact a massive idiot?

[Message edited by MNHQ with agreement of OP]

What changes do you think your successor should make to tackle the misogynistic, racist and homophobic culture that exists within the football establishment?

Fishandjam Fri 16-May-14 10:33:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

sashh Fri 16-May-14 10:57:58

Do you use those terms to talk about your daughters?

Do you think it is OK for others to talk about your daughters that way?

What do your daughters and wife think of the emails? How about your sons? Are you bringing them up to objectify women and treat them as inferior?

We know you are sexist, are you racist too?

Do you think your mother is proud of you?

LineRunner Fri 16-May-14 11:01:10

Are you worried more about your job or your ethical core?

mellicauli Fri 16-May-14 11:09:42

Is it the �2.5m in bonus and salary you earn each year that makes you feel superior to women? Do you think a sharp reduction in that income allow you to relate to your customers better?

Crumblemum Fri 16-May-14 13:05:17

OK I wasn't particularly impressed with his original apology but just read an email he sent to the premier league clubs on Sat night. It's on the Guardian here

www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/16/richard-scudamore-premier-league-sexist-emails-untenable

In the note to the 20 clubs, essentially the League's shareholders who hold his fate in their hands, Scudamore said the story "'had been obviously timed for our last day for it to cause maximum embarrassment to me and therefore the Premier League. The newspaper is asserting that some of the content is sexist and inappropriate. You will be the judge."

Ummmmm! Think that shows exactly how seriously he saw his comments. Complete disingenuous apology the following day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now