Questions for Premier League boss on his sexist emails?

(119 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

KatieMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-May-14 20:38:48

Following the news that Richard Scudamore, Chief Exec of the Premier League is to face a formal hearing about his sexist emails, Mumsnet users on this thread have been suggesting some questions he needs to answer.

'How would you feel as a woman working in your organisation?'

'Are you an asset to England's bid to host the 2019 [women's] world cup?'

'As a manager, how would you have responded if one of your staff had done this?'

What questions do you think he should face at his hearing on Tuesday? Let us know your thoughts and we'll compile the best into a page on the site.

Thanks

MNHQ

Seems to me as though all the senior (and by strange coincidence, male) figures involved in this scandal have been very keen to dismiss it as a private joke with no real consequence. Glad to hear that the lawyer's firm is taking it seriously though.

BIWI Fri 16-May-14 13:30:20

You see all those new buttons to the left <--- ...

LineRunner Fri 16-May-14 13:40:49

Crumble I hadn't seen that email.

The man comes across of even more of a spiteful buffoon than I originally thought.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-May-14 16:42:32

Hello

Just to let you know, the Sunday Mirror have been in touch to say they might be using some of the questions from this thread this weekend in the paper - just thought you might like a heads-up.

BIWI Fri 16-May-14 17:09:21

grin

I shall look forward to that ...

LineRunner Fri 16-May-14 18:35:43

Why do you think that China's one-child policy and, by [your] implication, preferential female infanticide is a subject for humour, in your position?

captainmummy Fri 16-May-14 19:58:50

The SUNDAY MIRROR?? Oh god.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 16-May-14 20:06:56

Well, they did carry the story first!

captainmummy Fri 16-May-14 20:13:13

Yes, ok, but that means i might have to buy it.

Panwearsrosa Fri 16-May-14 21:26:32

yeees..a canny move by the S Mirror, possibly. <sense of uneasiness rises by being hitched onto a red top Sunday paper without a 'MNHQ statement' but I'm prob in a minority of one here...smile..and a bike>

I'd ask him, if someone at the FA used equivalent insults and derogatory language about black players, would that person be sacked?

Panwearsrosa Fri 16-May-14 23:18:18

edam - that is so potent, isn't it? Where on earth is the flip that says anti-women messages are 'reasonable' and explainable and be dealt with by an apology...but racist messages would require an immediate sacking.

excellent question, pans. Why is it so easy for some people to think 'racism = bad' but misogyny is not really anything to make a fuss about'?

There seems to be some kind of hierarchy of discrimination, with racism at the top, homophobia next, and women and disabled people at the bottom?

Panwearsrosa Fri 16-May-14 23:27:22

I know. The evolutionary process re what's "acceptable" needs a swift kick up the arse, and hopefully RS's case will be a pointer to that. Him being boo-ed by a footie crowd gives some hope.

Yes indeed

BIWI Sat 17-May-14 14:40:15

Well, I suppose it will be explained away as 'just a bit of banter' and that we wimmin should just 'lighten up' a little hmm

GeekLove Sat 17-May-14 21:33:44

I REALLY hope this does not get swept under the carpet under the guise of banter. I am beginning to hate that word!

claraschu Sat 17-May-14 21:49:58

Is anyone surprised that football culture is sexist (and racist). OF course these people are a bunch of arseholes. Sometimes they manage to hide their disgusting attitudes, and they have enough finesse to know that they have to be seen to be non-bigoted. I don't see how an apology is of any use or significance. The only thing he can meaningfully apologise for is being silly enough to get caught.

I still don't think it is ok to read someone's private emails.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 17-May-14 22:07:05

Clara

The PA has stated that she received copies as part of her role.

jonicomelately Sat 17-May-14 22:43:11

www.dlapiper.com/en/uk/people/w/west-nicholas/
This is the man Scudamore was exchanging emails with and who referred to women as 'gash'.

Mr. Scudamore, do you think you this issue is going to go away now you've said it was an unfortunate error? May I just say, from a female football fan's perspective it won't. You should do the honourable thing and resign. You are a disgusting individual and don't deserve the honour of representing the Premier League. Your parents, wife and children ought to be ashamed of you.

Fishandjam Sat 17-May-14 22:52:42

Re the DLA Piper lawyer; I would be amazed if he doesn't get the boot - assuming his email was sent from his work account. Humungous breach of email policy, for starters. Then there's bringing the firm and the profession into disrepute...

I'm a lawyer. Years ago I was given some advice which thus far has stood me in good stead, and it is this: never write anything on work email that you would be embarrassed to have read out in front of a judge. Looks like our boy should have had the same advice.

jonicomelately Sat 17-May-14 23:08:54

I agree about DLA Piper. My friend's daughter is about to start her contract there and I despair that a bright young woman with a first class degree and an ambitious attitude may have to work alongside a man who refers to women as 'gash'.'

Fishandjam Sun 18-May-14 09:00:27

Joni, I'll bet you that DLAP don't let it lie.

WaxingGibbon Sun 18-May-14 15:56:48

To be honest I've heard enough of Richard Scudamore's thoughts this week to be interested in hearing any more of what the pathetic little misogynistic twat thinks about anything

My question is for Greg Dyke..

Dear Greg. Having read the posts on this thread, and witnessed the national reaction to the issue, do you think it might be wise for you to rethink your somewhat tepid reaction to Richard Scudamore's emails - and call for his dismissal?

LineRunner Sun 18-May-14 16:42:11

So Scudamore is actually so aware of his shit behaviour that he tried to cover it up?

Way to go, loser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now