Madeleine McCann investigation

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

lyndie Tue 06-May-14 18:49:55

I saw today that possible excavations are to start in the resort where MM went missing.

Does anyone think the progress The Met have made is astonishing given the length of time that has elapsed? I can't help but wonder what progress could have been made if they had been involved at the start.

I really hope that somehow they can find out what happened and give her family some sort of closure. I know the ins and outs of what happened and her parents leaving her have been discussed at length on MN but from a crime point of view I would be very interested to see if the Portugese police had done enough or not.

janey68 Sun 11-May-14 10:03:31

No it doesn't mean they are responsible for her disappearance. It does show their behaviour and approach to the whole thing from day 1 though

ssd Sun 11-May-14 10:03:29

70hours, I do that too, drive away and then think is the door locked?

But if I left 3 small kids alone at home Id bloody well know if the door was locked or not.

Fideline987654321 Sun 11-May-14 10:01:56

And minor obfuscations and confusions like that are therefore quite explicable and do not IN ANY WAY point to the MCs being involved in MM's disappearance.

janey68 Sun 11-May-14 10:01:33

And the shutters which the mccanns knew straight away were openable from outside? Why did they then tell the media they were Jemmied open?

EffectiveCommunication Sun 11-May-14 10:01:10

I see Kate and she looks broken.

I think it was an abduction personally.

I do think it odd that they are the only family with the PR the fund the PM, the Pope listening to them, what about the other children that are missing?

Fideline987654321 Sun 11-May-14 09:59:40

Originally, Gerry, to the police, maintains that the door was locked - (possibly because he didn't want to appear neglectful?)

Sounds very human, if true.

They'd made a mistake. In the moments when they discovered their DD's absence they must have realised that with full force. I can understand why they would obfuscate. Particularly with responsibility for two other toddlers plus a missing DD in a foreign jurisdiction with unknown laws.

70hours Sun 11-May-14 09:59:33

Well every morning as I drive away I think - have a locked that door ? Maybe my age though -

I agree Fideline - 1 and 2 unlikely

KeinBock Sun 11-May-14 09:59:05

*unlocked, in the second instance

janey68 Sun 11-May-14 09:57:09

Exactly ssd.

Everything should be looked at. Not just the theory that fits the least uncomfortably with the McCann PR campaign.

Because we don't know. There is no definitive evidence of anything yet.

It is a highly unusual case... No evidence of someone coming into the apartment and abducting MM, no evidence of a body, no evidence of an accident... Nothing.

Therefore all possibilities should be looked at. I have actually pointed out earlier in the thread how the utmost insistence by one of the McCann friends and KM herself in her book that the man shown in artists impressions was 'the abductor' has been overturned. For six years this man was purported to be a key suspect... And yet 6 months ago on crime watch it was announced that its confirmed that this guy was an innocent holiday maker.

Their unswerving insistence on what they think has actually backfired on the mccanns in some ways- as the example above shows. Keeping an open mind and facilitating investigations into all possible theories could potentially have moved the investigations further on.

Sadly i think that after 7 years we are unlikely now to ever know what happened to MM

KeinBock Sun 11-May-14 09:56:48

Incredible that the McCann's were unable to decide whether the doors were locked, or not. Surely if you'd left three small children unattended in an apartment at a foreign resort, you'd know whether or not you'd decided to lock the door.
I suspect it comes down - as always- to what they imagined will cast them in a better light.

Originally, Gerry, to the police, maintains that the door was locked - (possibly because he didn't want to appear neglectful?)

Later, Kate maintains that the door was locked - (possibly because by then it had been proven that there had been no break in & only her own fingerprints had been found on the shutter?)

Result: we still don't know whether the doors were locked, or not.

noddyholder Sun 11-May-14 09:55:52

Agree 100% nigella

Fideline987654321 Sun 11-May-14 09:55:32

There are only 3 options;

1) She left the appt of her own volition
2) She died in the appt and her body removed by someone
3)She was taken from appt by someone

#s 1 and 2 seems extremely unlikely to me and nobody has yet explained a sensible alternative view that I've heard. Do you have a theory insanity?

noddyholder Sun 11-May-14 09:55:14

Pursuing one theory has led to the current status back to the place she disappeared.

ssd Sun 11-May-14 09:55:01

thanks for answering

NigellasDealer Sun 11-May-14 09:54:15

and why set a PR machine in action ? How many other parents of missing children have had a 'campaign' to quash any suggestions that what they say happened might not be the case. How many have been able to afford to employ Carter Ruck ? where did that money come from?
the whole thing is bizarre.

70hours Sun 11-May-14 09:52:53

OK SSD - I have said it before but will repeat again - I have read all the theories and the files and for a time I like many other believed that maybe the Mccans were not as innocent as they seemed and then I read some more - sat back and reflected on everything!! - If they did something how did they get rid of the body in the short time line before going out?? MMM can't answer that in any rationale way I try. How did they convince the other to go al g with an 'abductiion theory' clean up the apartment - get dressed up and the go out and act normally at dinner ??? My god I love my husband but there is no way I. Gods earth I would be able to do that!!!, Again not plausible -
I think people feel they should be blamed be ause they are middle class and they left the children on their own whilst they went out!!

If you believe abduction is the only possible explanation why is that? For me, if an unattended three year old disappeared my first thought would be that they must have wandered off. Without proof or evidence surely each scenario and probably many others are equally valid?
To me it seems the pro McCanns will only consider the theory that has been fed to them and seem to think that keeping an open mind to other explanations is damaging. Isn't it more damaging to pursue one line of enquiry over and above any other when there seems to be no more evidence to support that theory than any other? I think the PR machine that foisted abduction as the only explanation right from the off probably did more harm than good if you ask me.

Fideline987654321 Sun 11-May-14 09:50:02

Or fingers pointed at noone until there is hard evidence supporting someone's guilt?

ssd Sun 11-May-14 09:46:59

70hours, what I cant understand about your point of view is how do you know pointing fingers at the parents is unnecessary? how do any of us know anything? none of us were there, none of us know what happened, the possibilities are wide open, who can say where fingers should be pointed?

am genuinely interested.

whilst I've got every sympathy with the McCanns (along with every other parent out there), until this case is solved surely fingers need to be pointed at everyone involved until they are ruled out by law? and everyone should include anyone in the area at the time.

LaVolcan Sun 11-May-14 09:46:50

Coming to an out of court settlement is not the same as going into the witness box and swearing on oath.

Perjury is taken very seriously by the courts and Carter Ruck's spokeswoman knew better than to perjure herself by saying that Madeleine was abducted because she didn't know what had happened. None of us know.

That is why I believe it's different.

EffectiveCommunication Sun 11-May-14 09:45:48

I read on another thread that burglar's stick to kitchens and don't wonder far into the main home incase the are disturbed.

noddyholder Sun 11-May-14 09:43:46

Gerry said there was nothing if value in the apartment the reason I don't think the burglary one makes sense is I have never heard if a burglar taking a body they usually want to be gone quickly.

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Sun 11-May-14 09:41:36

LaVolcan - In 2008, the McCann's sued the Express for libel. A High Court awarded them damages, and the Express was ordered to pay towards the McCann's legal fees, and printed a front page apology.

How that is not wining a libel case, I really don't know.

HavannaSlife Sun 11-May-14 09:40:50

Ive always thought it could be a possibility that she disturbed someone, they killed her and took her out of the apartment. Makes as much sense as any other theory.

However you are just using that as an example because you dont like the emphasis the McCanns have put on the abduction theory.

70hours Sun 11-May-14 09:40:27

I don't mind other theories being looked at - what I don't believe is any involvement from the McCanns because of where they were, the time frame and how they behaved - So I am happy enough for other theories to be looked at - I just think unnecessary finger pointing st the parents is just that - unnecessary

This thread is not accepting new messages.