Madeleine McCann investigation

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

lyndie Tue 06-May-14 18:49:55

I saw today that possible excavations are to start in the resort where MM went missing.

Does anyone think the progress The Met have made is astonishing given the length of time that has elapsed? I can't help but wonder what progress could have been made if they had been involved at the start.

I really hope that somehow they can find out what happened and give her family some sort of closure. I know the ins and outs of what happened and her parents leaving her have been discussed at length on MN but from a crime point of view I would be very interested to see if the Portugese police had done enough or not.

Joules68 Fri 09-May-14 21:18:10

helen is talking about murder??

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Fri 09-May-14 21:18:48

Is this HQ person the same one who disabled posting on New Year's Eve?

That's pretty nasty. But no, it isn't.

LaVolcan Fri 09-May-14 21:19:11

Is the HQ person the same one who deleted my posts, when I said that 'disappeared' would be a better word than 'abduction' because we weren't there, so none of us know what happened?

Vevvie Fri 09-May-14 21:20:23

Cadaver dog ...

Trousers ....

Blood ....

Harold Shipman ....

Missing child - could be read to some like what Helen has pointed out.

Maryz Fri 09-May-14 21:21:09

How about not having a go at any named HQ people hmm

This is a MNHQ policy - take it up with Justine if you want to. Don't get personal on a thread ffs.

ExcuseTypos Fri 09-May-14 21:24:15

I'm glad MNHQ are keeping an eye on this thread.

The whole idea that 2 parents have perpetuated a story for 7 years, about the disappearance of their dd, (whilst doing everything humanly possible to keep the story in the madia) is absolutely bonkers.

YetAnotherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-May-14 21:24:27

Evening all, many apologies, clearly 'murder' wasn't an appropriate term to use, it was a slip of the tongue in what is turning out to be a very busy Friday night. However, in all honestly we think any speculation about the involvement of the McCanns in their child's disappearance, of whatever kind, is beyond the pale and unwelcome on MN, whether on the boards or via PM. We hope that clarifies the MN position and apologise again.

We also appreciate that many of you think that the thread should go, and we will be responding to those reports, but over the years we have learned that some MNers do want to discuss the case, and don't feel that it's realistic to ban all mention of it, however if this thread goes down a speculative path we might think again, so would ask everyone to bear that in mind.

ExcuseTypos Fri 09-May-14 21:25:33

Add message | Report | Message poster AnyaKnowIt Fri 09-May-14 21:15:27
Who is pm'ing who with new facts?

There aren't any "new" facts, Anya.

AnyaKnowIt Fri 09-May-14 21:26:21

But no has said the macans had anything to do with it.

Its more about how the British press have been reporting the case

LaVolcan Fri 09-May-14 21:26:38

I think people have deliberately and willfully misunderstood me. I most definitely did not say that Mrs McCann was like Harold Shipman.

I was basically saying that the only GP who could conceivably have come into contact with six dead bodies was Shipman. Most people die in hospital these days, so it's hospital Drs who usually have the contact.

AnyaKnowIt Fri 09-May-14 21:29:01

MintChocAddict said that posters where pm'ing new facts so I was asking what those new facts where

AnyaKnowIt Fri 09-May-14 21:29:58

*were

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Fri 09-May-14 21:30:30

The pj/pt files do say the McCanns had something to do with it. That's why I find it so distasteful - the McCann's were accused b the PJ. They were told by their lawyer to plead guilty to get a lesser sentence - they refused because they knew that would call off the search for Madeleine.

FFS.

I'm not an advocate of the British press, far from it, and have great sympathy for the Portuguese people and how they have been portrayed by certain tabloids.

However I still don't feel the need to read case files, statements and the like.
To repeat, the only people/person who knows what happened are those who were there, and at this point in time we still have no idea who that is.

I just don't understand the point of sharing internet site information/ case files unless you are trying to play amateur detective. That's all. confused

LaVolcan Fri 09-May-14 21:34:00

Its more about how the British press have been reporting the case

Absolutely Anya. I don't see much speculation going on. The British Press have said one thing, the Portuguese another. Andy Redwood, in charge of Scotland Yard's investigation said the other week that Madeleine may not have left the apartment alive, which was reported in the press. If he is on record as saying this, then that is not speculation.

If the PJ's investigation came to certain conclusions that is what they found, not speculation. They could all be right or wrong, we don't know and may never know.

Anya,
What I meant by that was that up thread people were told to google a name of an acquaintance of the McCann's and to read their statement. This was clearly new information to many on here as a few have stated shock and amazement by what they read.
That is what I meant by sharing of new facts, in that they were new to some posters.

AnyaKnowIt Fri 09-May-14 21:34:57

So the police who investigated think that the macans did have something to do it? Why is that distasteful?

Deux Fri 09-May-14 21:35:45

I just wanted to be better informed as it seemed I'd been misinformed and there was a whole lot of spin.

AnyaKnowIt Fri 09-May-14 21:36:00

Oh right, thanks mintchocaddict

nomorequotes Fri 09-May-14 21:36:11

What is wrong with wanting to know the details of a case? Why is it considered a negative thing? Its like when someone tells you you are 'so opinionated' well is it preferable to have no opinion on anything? Is it better to have an uneducated opinion?

Very strange.

noddyholder Fri 09-May-14 21:36:23

There is lots of talk about the pistorouis case too and you either think one thing or the other and I think it's the same here. I read Kate's book and I also knew 2 people who were working on this case at the start and my whole viewpoint on it comes from that. I have followed it a bit I suppose because of those connections nothing else. There is nothing you can do about how you interpret the facts of a case as high profile as this. I heard a whole table in a restaurant this weekend discuss oping the oscar pistorius case and they were very divided too

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Fri 09-May-14 21:36:52

Because they tried to put the blame on them, and didn't investigate the abduction. Because the abduction would have looked worse for them - better to pin it on the parents.

AnyaKnowIt Fri 09-May-14 21:38:06

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Fri 09-May-14 21:36:52
Because they tried to put the blame on them, and didn't investigate the abduction. Because the abduction would have looked worse for them - better to pin it on the parents.

What makes you say that?

noddyholder Fri 09-May-14 21:38:46

He abduction would have looked worse for who? They did investigate it otherwise there wouldn't be files and files of information which the mccanns have been. Trying to access for years

nomorequotes Fri 09-May-14 21:39:17

how is it libelous to use the term 'disappeared' instead of 'abducted' but NOT libelous to suggest the entire of the Portuguese police some how orchestrated a situation where the parents were implicated? Some serious double standards there.

This thread is not accepting new messages.