Constance Briscoe

(85 Posts)
limitedperiodonly Thu 01-May-14 18:05:37

I've left it a couple of hours for someone else to start a thread because I'm a bit of a shy one but I can resist no more.

I don't know what to say. I am flabbergasted by her poor judgement.

I'm going to be beside myself tomorrow waiting for her sentencing and Max Clifford's.

AngelaDaviesHair Fri 02-May-14 20:49:49

The thing is, Pommes, that given the collapse in her credibility, the claims made in those books can't necessarily be taken wholly at face value now. It is notable that not one of her siblings supports those claims (though that is as consistent with being the scapegoat outcast she says she was as with the accusations being wholly or portly untrue).

Caitlin17 Sat 03-May-14 00:14:43

I started off years ago thinking what a horrible person she is. I was reading The Guardian report and started feeling sorry for her as her life is in tatters and then thought no, I'm not sorry for her.

She and I and everyone else in our profession have to abide by the highest standards of professional integrity ; most of us do. We are very fortunate and privileged. We might have to work hard but the rewards in terms of remuneration and career satisfaction are significant. Not telling lies really isn't that much to ask.

limitedperiodonly Thu 15-May-14 20:28:59

I've bloody well missed it.R4's PM really went for Briscoe’s libel defence against her mother.

It was a trail for a programme on tonight on R4 at 8pm

That was an interview with the doctor whose apparent letter from the early ‘70s was produced at the trial. It confirmed physical abuse and presumably convinced the jury. He can’t remember after all this time, but thinks it’s unlikely he wrote it because it doesn’t fit with the terms he’d use or the procedure he’d follow.

I'm listening to the trail end of it now. I guess it's on catch up

limitedperiodonly Fri 16-May-14 11:34:10

Here it is Very dramatic detective work from the reporter. Near the end there's a story from her sister's ex-boyfriend which, if true, makes her sound mad.

The whole thing makes it chilling that she was a judge.

Pommes Sat 17-May-14 20:20:55

I just listened to the whole programme - thank you OP. Chilling indeed, it makes her sound like a pathological liar.

Still no need to discuss her hair though.... but her lies are fair game grin

moofie44 Wed 21-May-14 20:47:34

Constance Briscoe first serving judge to be convicted of perverting the course of justice.

Cases Constance Briscoe prosecuted and presided over should be reopened in aftermath of her criminal conviction and jail sentence.

�As formal proceedings to remove her from the judiciary now begin, defendants could call for re-examination of their cases if they have concerns that her proven dishonesty affected proper disclosure of material to their defence lawyers. Briscoe both prosecuted and defended cases in London and Sussex.�

CAN PEOPLE PLEASE HELP TO GET THIS POSTED ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND FORWARDED TO THEIR LOCAL PAPERS? Someone out there may have been wrongly judged by this dishonest judge, and can make a complaint and perhaps get a retrial � PROVIDED THEY KNOW ABOUT IT!

xplodem Wed 28-May-14 11:45:51

she got it totally wrong. Was her book a good read?

GoshAnneGorilla Wed 28-May-14 12:48:05

I also listened to the Radio 4 programme, very compelling listening. I think her troubles are only just beginning.

Peekingduck Wed 28-May-14 20:07:31

The Monty Roberts of the justice system really.
I read her book and found the story inspiring, but the actual way the book was written to be quite dull. Not good penmanship if that makes sense.
Strange to risk so much for no personal gain.

babybarrister Wed 28-May-14 22:30:42

In no particular order ...
1. The Bar did not I am afraid 'rate' her very highly even before all of this - she was seen as a loose cannon. I can think of plenty of other Afro Carribeans female barristers who are much, much better role models ...
2. The report is not about the Bar but about solicitors. solicitors hold client monies whereas the Bar does not. I am afraid that complaints have to be seen in that context - most were not 'incompetence'
BME in the case of solicitors is unlikely to mean that they were trained overseas as unlike medicine it is very difficult to transfer over from non EU legal systems. This is not in the main an issue therefore about 'forrin' standards and customs. The report was well publicised within the legal profession.

3. I think that she lied because she and VP were women scorned and decided to seek revenge I am afraid - the article about Anthony arlige's new girlfriend was dreadful and I cannot accept that she was not involved in it at all. That in itself was a massive error of judgment by a serving judge ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now