Constance Briscoe

(85 Posts)
limitedperiodonly Thu 01-May-14 18:05:37

I've left it a couple of hours for someone else to start a thread because I'm a bit of a shy one but I can resist no more.

I don't know what to say. I am flabbergasted by her poor judgement.

I'm going to be beside myself tomorrow waiting for her sentencing and Max Clifford's.

LineRunner Thu 01-May-14 18:08:33

Fucking hell. I'd forgotten about this.

Custodial?

rootypig Thu 01-May-14 18:09:54

She is awful. I remember seeing her on Question Time and being amazed that she was a judge.

Hasn't Max Clifford been arrested for sex offences? doubt he'll be saying much

rabbitrisen Thu 01-May-14 18:10:44

lp. I dont think that you are shy!

I think that she is a bit of a one off.

ImAThrillseekerBunny Thu 01-May-14 18:11:11

The fact that she's being investigated for fraud relating t

ImAThrillseekerBunny Thu 01-May-14 18:11:54

Oops
..relating to her mother's libel suit against her is also a bit if a shocker.

claig Thu 01-May-14 18:12:31

She did wrong, but I do feel sorry for her. What a tragedy.

Scarletohello Thu 01-May-14 18:13:34

Interesting that her mum took her to court for lying ( unsuccessfully) and then she gets done for lying by the criminal courts in which she worked!

Karma or summat...?

limitedperiodonly Thu 01-May-14 18:20:17

Yes, linerunner, from what I heard on the radio, I think it's going to be jail. And obviously her judicial career is over.

That's what I find so strange. I'm not a fan of Chris Huhne but I can't say I'd go to the barricades for Vicky Pryce either. Why did Briscoe do it?

That's why I'm asking about her fitness for judgement.

I'd really be interested in other views about her competence as a judge because I don't know about that and am truly baffled because on the face of it it seems she's not fit to be in charge of a goldfish.

Also, I've waded several times throught that report and can't work out what's being said about findings and retrials so I'd also be grateful for a breakdown by someone who knows.

rootypig I agree that I've never warmed to her. Clifford's been convicted and is looking at jail time tomorrow.

rootypig Thu 01-May-14 18:20:44

More that a liar will eventually be caught out, Scarlet

rootypig Thu 01-May-14 18:24:20

actually I take that back, it's not fair as the libel action failed. Let's go with karna grin

LineRunner Thu 01-May-14 18:32:32

Jesus. How would retrials work, with such limited legal aid for defendants now?

limitedperiodonly Thu 01-May-14 18:32:40

rabbitrisen I am shy. It's just that only people as sensitive as me notice it wink

limitedperiodonly Thu 01-May-14 18:38:29

Jesus. How would retrials work, with such limited legal aid for defendants now?

I agree. Especially with the collapse of that fraud trial today.

rabbitrisen Thu 01-May-14 19:12:26

wink

ohmymimi Thu 01-May-14 19:12:30

I see Huhne has made a statement about this. That arrogant, self-regarding, convicted liar should look to his own moral failings.

LineRunner Thu 01-May-14 19:16:54

Huhne still thinks he a big player. Ffs.

claig Thu 01-May-14 19:23:08

Channel 4 News reported that the judge has said that a custodial sentence is almost inevitable.

emotionsecho Thu 01-May-14 19:32:36

I read her book, never having heard of her before, and was thought she seemed very inspiring. What the hell went wrong? and is the libel case she won against her mother now under investigation?

Am I correct in my understanding that she lied about Vicky Pryce confiding in her, refused to assist the police when investigating the allegations and leaked information to the press? What was she hoping to achieve, Vicky Pryce not being charged?

hackmum Thu 01-May-14 19:36:33

I agree, OP, the lack of judgement - in a judge! - is astonishing.

Very interesting piece on PM today that said when her mother sued her for libel over the representation of her (the mum) in her (Constance's) book, she (Constance) may have falsified some of the evidence.

I took am eagerly awaiting the Max Clifford sentencing.

ZeroSomeGameThingy Thu 01-May-14 19:45:38

Huhne and Pryce appear to have bounced back from their convictions and custody. But Constance Briscoe will be completely finished by this.

Strange how these things work.

Scarletohello Thu 01-May-14 19:49:12

Interesting piece about her rise and fall

m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25813323

emmelinelucas Thu 01-May-14 19:50:05

Why did Constance Briscoe risk her career and reputation for Vicky Pryce ?

I have no idea.

But she must have had a jolly good reason.

limitedperiodonly Thu 01-May-14 20:00:21

Huhne and Pryce didn't do jobs where you could be struck off. Plus they are engaging on camera.

Briscoe fails on both scores. She does appear to share their vanity, though.

limitedperiodonly Thu 01-May-14 20:11:01

Why did Constance Briscoe risk her career and reputation for Vicky Pryce ?...But she must have had a jolly good reason.

emmelinelucas I can't see the jolly good reason.

She lied and fabricated evidence for her nutty mate who was married to a bit of a shit.

I wouldn't do that, and I don't have as much to lose.

More importantly, she's a judge. This is more than a bit of a mad moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now