woman convicted of sex with boy

(13 Posts)

[http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-26927378]] but escape s jail
Why the lenient sentences?

Sorry here

fayrae Mon 07-Apr-14 20:57:53

Because she's a woman. There's absolutely no way on earth that a 26 year old male teacher doesn't go to jail for having sex with a 16 year old pupil.

I have to agree. An adult female abusing a boy is not taken as seriously

PansBigChainring Mon 07-Apr-14 21:26:50

I'm not so sure. We don't know what was presented in court on her behalf, and certainly her professional life has ended and she will be forever tagged as the woman who had sex with a pupil. Not really convinced jailing her would be of much extra use (though of course a suspended sentence is a custodial sentence).

unreasonableboss Mon 07-Apr-14 21:34:25

But that would be the case for a male teacher too Pans, he'd still expect to go to prison

plco1223 Mon 07-Apr-14 21:37:12

at 16, he is over the age of consent. I think the problem is that she first knew him as his teacher. That is a breach of trust

PansBigChainring Mon 07-Apr-14 21:38:57

yes which is why I said I wasn't sure. I don't know what the jailing rate is for male-female pupil 'over age' sex (prob v high) but I've no doubt the judge went into details of his sentencing decision, we just don't know what they are nor what the defence said.

Nataleejah Tue 08-Apr-14 08:02:22

1. He's over the age of consent
2. It was not abuse. Breach of trust, immoral -- yes. But not actual abuse.

I still believe that it is wrong for the law for teachers to be different from any other human being. The age of consent is 16. Her behaviour was unprofessional and immoral certainly but I don't believe it should be illegal. She should have been sacked and not be employed as a teacher again. She should not have a criminal record.
If as a society we decide that people who have professions which involve contact with 16-18 year olds should not be permitted to have sex with them then that law should also apply to school bus drivers, kitchen staff, caretakers etc etc. The list could potentially be endless.

ASmidgeofMidge Wed 09-Apr-14 20:54:20

There is a massive power differential involved in offences of this type, regardless of the ages of victims vs perpetrators. The teacher breached a position of trust twofold; as an adult and as a consequence of her job. Should certainly be a criminal offence

ASmidgeofMidge Wed 09-Apr-14 20:55:09

It is abuse; the victim was a child

law7988 Fri 11-Apr-14 10:27:05

Certainly not abuse. A post-pubescent 16 year old is a young man not a child! The female teacher broke rules of the teaching profession and quite rightly was sacked and stopped from teaching again.
Both parties of course were over the legal age of consent - one of those quirky things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now