Is there a thread on Ofsted vs pre-school learning through play?

(16 Posts)
Bramshott Fri 04-Apr-14 12:30:23

Anyone else as gobsmacked as me that Michael Wilshaw has decided that children need to start formal learning even earlier? Is there anything we can DO if we think this is a terrible idea? Any petitions out there etc??

MissMarplesBloomers Fri 04-Apr-14 21:04:34

Oh FFS

<head...desk....head>

Are they proposing sending us home from hospital with post natal teaching guidelines now???

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 04-Apr-14 22:15:20

I'm quite pleased I haven't seen threads about this. It's such a bonkers idea that it doesn't warrant that much discussion.

There was a female Tory MP recently who said something similar. I can't remember her name. It was a bonkers idea then as well.

Bramshott Sun 06-Apr-14 18:47:06

Yes, that's a good point Mary!

CheesyBadger Sun 06-Apr-14 18:49:16

Oh dear. He has clearly never looked after a toddler or 3 and tried to sit them down and help them get anything out of worksheets if they would rather be playing. Does he realise what this would do to the children's enthusiasm and willingness to learn, not to mention child /staff relationships?

Doomed from the start

CheesyBadger Sun 06-Apr-14 18:50:12

We do need a petition... I would be interested in signing one... Or shall we start one?

BackforGood Sun 06-Apr-14 18:52:36

er - OFSTED already inspect pre-school settings, but they are expecting them on learning through play. Can't see how that's a "vs" , as in the thread title ?

<and I'm not one who EVER thought she would be defending OFSTED>

EdithWeston Sun 06-Apr-14 18:53:21

There have been a number of threads.

Do bear in mind, before frothing, that what he actually said about school readiness covered things like toilet training, ability to use a knife and fork, ability to sit and listen to a story for a few minutes and perhaps know colours and do some simple counting.

BackforGood Sun 06-Apr-14 18:53:26

I think you need to link to this proposal - nobody is mentioning sitting down, nor doing worksheet !
Talk about 2 + 2 making 5!!!

CharlesRyder Sun 06-Apr-14 18:59:52

I think it is the fact that he used the word 'structured' that has some people leaking at the ears.

My DS (3) is at a very structured Montessori setting but absolutely makes his own decisions about what and how he learns within that setting.

Structure is not the opposite of play.

CheesyBadger Sun 06-Apr-14 20:38:19

The balance just needs to be right

Bramshott Mon 07-Apr-14 11:48:09

this is what I read Back. I didn't mention worksheets in my OP. I'm concerned enough about any proposals which suggest "more structured learning" for pre-schoolers, and that it should take place "in a school environment". IME school nurseries are very inflexible and structured. Okay maybe for 3 and 4 year olds, but for little ones?? And as the only option?? No thanks.

BackforGood Mon 07-Apr-14 12:32:08

Thanks for the link Bramshott. I know you didn't mention worksheets, but they were mentioned in someone else's post and I was replying to that too - sorry for any confusions smile

The link does contain some rather scary quotes alongside a clear demonstration that he doesn't know what he's talking about, I'll agree.

ReallyTired Mon 07-Apr-14 21:33:29

I believe that the tories see that introducing formal learnng earlier will be a vote winner amongst the deluded parents who feel that Jocarta is not being stretched at pre school.

I started a thread recently that I thought that formal reading schemes had no place in nursery and lots of people seems really keen on their three year olds being taught to read.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2045209-To-think-that-reading-scheme-books-have-no-place-in-a-nursery

There are lots of stupid things being introduced in the national curriculum generally. For example Gove wants to get rid of "method marks" in maths. There were marks in school tests for showing your method when I was at primary school. Getting children to display their method is an important grounding for being a top mathematican.

Bramshott Tue 08-Apr-14 10:29:40

No problem Back. I am not normally one for scaremongering, but this is scary stuff. Makes me glad my DCs are past pre-school age.

CheesyBadger Tue 08-Apr-14 11:57:01

Yes I mentioned worksheets before reading everything.., doh. Just worksheet phobic as a friend is very strict with her children and has them doing them from 2 sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now