school wall collapse

(5 Posts)
phantomnamechanger Tue 01-Apr-14 16:17:27

OMG how the hell can this happen in a UK school.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-26834110

So awful for all concerned but dear God if there is negligence involved it does not bear thinking about. You think your kids are safe in school. So shocking.

phantomnamechanger Tue 01-Apr-14 16:18:00
CountessOfRule Tue 01-Apr-14 16:24:45

I saw this at lunchtime on the tv news. They mentioned that the school had had a previous (non-fatal) incident of a child's falling from a lift (!) when it broke down.

A lot of the country's school buildings are of a similar vintage, and local authorities often can't afford to maintain them proactively. It was a horrible, horrible accident but I can't help thinking it was preventable.

phantomnamechanger Tue 01-Apr-14 17:29:26

In the link another child claims to have warned the PE teacher some time ago about the wall being really wobbly. I know that's not necessarily true, but you can't help wonder why a perfectly sound wall would suddenly collapse - it's not like it was a storm or gas explosion or something.

MoominMammasHandbag Wed 02-Apr-14 11:50:20

Awful story; it does make me worry about the state of my kids' school scheduled for a complete rebuild in the next year or so.

There must have been a complete cock up of shoddy workmanship, poor inspections and basically people not giving a shit. Teachers, cleaners, caretakers must all have known that wall was unstable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now