Dispatches - hospital heartache re: miscarriagen [[Possibly distresting content - warning added by MNHQ]]

(6 Posts)
CeliaLytton Tue 25-Mar-14 13:30:22

I couldn't see another thread on this.

Last night Amanda Holden did a dispatches on hospitals and their treatment of parents who lose a baby during pregnancy. There were many areas covered but I have just seen the Wright Stuff and they totally missed the point. The discussion was on whether it was appropriate to use the heat from burning foetal remains to heat hospitals. Many of the parents whose babies were incinerated were told that their baby would be cremated, which implies a certain respect and dignity, but the remains were instead incinerated with other medical waste. My opinion is that it was the lack of understanding and consent that was the problem, not necessarily the use of the energy produced. By that thinking, shouldn't all human remains be burnt to heat buildings instead of being cremated in a ceremony in a recognised institution?

The point I think the program was trying to make was that foetal remains should be treated with the same respect as other remains and that family members should be allowed to choose what happens to their baby rather than being misled or outright lied to.

I know it is not unusual for the Wright Stuff to get things wrong but was very disappointed in Anne Diamond for showing no compassion towards grieving parents. She stated that she could not see a problem with it at all, including e lack of consent.

The dispatches show did not deal with abortions, just miscarriages, which is why the language used was so emotive. They were talking to grieving parents, some of whom were treated incredibly badly.

glossyconker Tue 25-Mar-14 14:46:27

Seen the dispatches programme and I thought dispatches handled it well.

I will now see if I can find it in the wright stuff

glossyconker Tue 25-Mar-14 14:46:48

Seen the dispatches programme and I thought dispatches handled it well.

I will now see if I can find it in the wright stuff

glossyconker Tue 25-Mar-14 17:59:37

as usual wright stuff totally miss the point

glossyconker Tue 25-Mar-14 17:59:58

i agree v v suprised at anne diamond

pointythings Wed 26-Mar-14 12:58:41

I'm not surprised. My best friend had a miscarriage and was basically told 'well, what do you expect at your age?'.

Personally I would love to see crematoria hooked up to the National Grid in some way and used to generate energy, but that isn't the same as dumping a miscarried baby in a clinical waste incinerator.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now