Clarissa Dickson Wright has died

(27 Posts)
FabBakerGirl Mon 17-Mar-14 11:47:18

She passed away on Saturday, aged 66.

I am so shocked and sad. I thought she was great on I'm a Celeb... and I always enjoy her appearances when she was on the tv.

How sad, she was a fascinating woman.

Nocomet Mon 17-Mar-14 12:29:37

sad she was a real character. RIP

sailorsgal Mon 17-Mar-14 13:08:06

was she on I'm a celeb? that was Rosemary Shrager wasn't it.
RIP Clarissa. 66 is young these days.

How sad, how young

bobthebuddha Mon 17-Mar-14 15:08:15

Until recently, she held the distinction of being the youngest woman ever called to the Bar. Quite a life.

AllMimsyWereTheBorogroves Mon 17-Mar-14 15:17:48

Terrific transcript of her Desert Island Discs appearance here. She was a wonderful character. Her full name was Clarissa Theresa Philomena Aileen Mary Josephine Agnes Elsie Trilby Louise Esmerelda Dickson Wright. Imagine the Baby Names thread on that!

Trifle Mon 17-Mar-14 15:33:43

I'm sure she was highly educated and possibly a 'great character' but I found it hard to get over how grossly obese she was. It's not surprising she died so young, despite having the brains she didn't seem to twig that fat = fate.

Abra1d Mon 17-Mar-14 15:35:27

She was obese because she was a recovering alcoholic who'd had a terrible drink problem. The sugar in the drink paid havoc with her metabolism. Having been very pretty as a young girl she was never able to lose the fat. It wasn't from over-eating.

PoshPaula Mon 17-Mar-14 15:37:32

Nice comment, Twig, very sensitive.

PoshPaula Mon 17-Mar-14 15:38:00

Or trifle, equally sensitive.

I'm bigger than she was, I think - shall I shoot myself now, trifle?

Oh - and my slim, health-conscious MIL has just been told there's nothing more they can do to treat her cancer, so it's likely she won't last out the year - her fate wasn't dictated by fat.

AllMimsyWereTheBorogroves Mon 17-Mar-14 15:47:51

It was the quinine from six bottles of tonic a day (to go with the two bottles of gin) that destroyed her adrenal glands. Trifle, you have all the tact and sensitivity of a piece of chewing gum stuck on a park bench.

I am furious that anyone could think that an entire lifetime's achievements, in which Clarissa proved herself to be exceptional, are negated by her weight issues.

PoshPaula Mon 17-Mar-14 16:40:00

mrscakes don't you know that weight is far more important that warmth, intellect, talent, honesty and humour?

Apparently so.

Fat people achieve nothing of value - it's a well known fact angry. Even Winston Churchill was a fatty first and foremost.

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 17-Mar-14 16:48:20

I loved her intelligence and wit. I don't judge people on their size.

Very sad. The Two Fat ladies was one of the best cooking programs ever. And she was a great woman.

Treaclepot Mon 17-Mar-14 16:51:20

Though I massively dislike the tone of the fattist comments, I thought she always said she never tried to lose weight and didnt know if she would be able to but thta the adrenal gland thing made it harder.

LauraBridges Mon 17-Mar-14 18:01:43

Very sad.
I can simply add ditto to my comments about Mr Crow and RIP to them both. We all know the lessons to learn but they are not easy.

Badvoc Mon 17-Mar-14 18:07:47

The comments about her size are vile and irrelevant.
I liked her.
I didn't like everything she said, or how she said it at times, but she was an interesting person. As was Jennifer Patterson.
I really enjoyed 2FL when it was on.
Yes to the PG Wodehouse character! She would have made the prefect aunt dahlia! smile

FabBakerGirl Mon 17-Mar-14 19:25:05

sailorsgal - I was coming on to say I am an idiot and got CDW mixed up with RS. Apologies.

She was a remarkable woman. Sad news.

PoshPaula Mon 17-Mar-14 20:35:20

*mrscakes good point about Churchill. If only he'd discovered the 5:2 diet - or Slimming World.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now