The Depths to which the Sugar Pushers Sink - Tesco

(149 Posts)
LauraBridges Fri 07-Feb-14 11:02:43

We are exhorted to avoid sugar (I don't have any ever other than a bit of fruit). Yet day in day out it is peddled and pushed on to us and our children at home, in schools, by others.

This morning Tesco delivered our weekly shopping. There was an item I had not ordered. It is in front of me now. I asked the delivery man about it. It is a free gift. Guess what it is? Sugar.. or rather an organic rice cake think covered in Belgian chocolate. At Christmas Tesco gave us a large box of sugary biscuits in a tin.

Why don't they give customers carrots or cucumbers? Why just junk food that ruins your health?

I told the driver I did not eat any sugar but perhaps my family might eat it. He took a while to believe me, said he could never manage that and then disclosed that he is diabetic (he didn't look over weight particularly but is of Indian origin and middle aged).

Dark chocolate covered rice cakes are scrummy yummy!!

OP do you not eat any veg then? As some veg has natural sugars in.

OMG, you also don't drink alcohol - that is hardcore!!

There was some sciency stuff recently saying (can't link or quote, just what I recall) saying that if we avoided all the processed foods with added sugars that have only recently come into our diets, then having the odd bit of sugar in puddings and cakes (and booze) like we used to in the clearly now golden-era of pre-1970s was just fine.

It's having it in almost everything, and hidden, that's not good.

Mmmmmmm sticky toffee pudding <drools> Bit of what you fancy does you good I think.

shallweshop Fri 07-Feb-14 12:02:35

The Bastards!

AllMimsyWereTheBorogroves Fri 07-Feb-14 12:02:38

They're not really free gifts. They're free samples and if you don't want them you can put them in the bin or hand them back. Tesco used to offer me a free copy of the Daily Mail with my internet delivery, which I always handed straight back. This week Ocado gave me a free bag of crisps and a free bottle of some sort of fizzy drink. Very, very occasionally this leads me to buy the item but usually we try it and forget about it.

Genuine free gifts: Ocado do a weird thing of giving me a free bottle of wine on the anniversary of my first delivery from them. This is very welcome!

NinjaPenguin Fri 07-Feb-14 12:06:02

I would love this to happen to me.

Hazelbrowneyes Fri 07-Feb-14 12:09:16

I'm also interested in how you avoid sugar completely. Do you never eat out?

I love chocolate rice cakes.

KatharineHepburnsTrousers Fri 07-Feb-14 12:17:31

<laughs>

What a load of old WANK

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 07-Feb-14 12:20:15

I read the OP with a mental picture of a Daily Mail-style article, accompanied by the saddest of SadFace.

marshmallow2468 Fri 07-Feb-14 12:28:20

My one year old has just eaten half of one of the free gift chocolate covered rice cakes. Am I going to go to hell? He loved it, hadn't eaten chocolate before!

LauraBridges Fri 07-Feb-14 15:20:09

You know what I mean about sugar and of course I don't drink alcohol.
it's just that the press has been full of how bad sugar is for us and we all know that and that everywhere you go it is pushed at you. If it were cocaine or free vodka that Tesco were handing out to drug addicts and recovering alcoholics people would be up in arms.

As for the little discussion I think it's really important that those of us who eat healthily let others know it's possible. He volunteered that he had diabetes and as we all know you rae more likely to get it in mid life if you eat the standard Western diet and are of Indian origin. It was pertinent that someone with that health issue is still cramming his body full of sugar and his employers are trying to ensure that all customers are hooked oni t too.

The fact no one on the thread except for me thinks this is wrong shows why the nation is dying of obesity, diabetes and has increased rates of dementia and depression.

nicename Fri 07-Feb-14 15:23:26

Chocolate on rice cakes? Bleuch. What a waste.

I'd rather someone gave me free cheese.

HipHopHooray Fri 07-Feb-14 15:23:35

I've just been and bought some chocolate rice cakes on the back of this thread and you're all right - they are properly delish. I may start getting my shopping delivered so I can get some free......

Ragwort Fri 07-Feb-14 15:26:04

This anti-sugar thing has only become 'trendy' in the last few months and now everyone is thinking it's the best diet advice since sliced bread grin.

If you don't want the free gift please pass it on to your local food bank where all donations, whether they contain sugar or not, will be more than welcome.

How boring your life must be if the only sugar you ever have is 'in a little bit of fruit'. hmm

These sorts of threads always make me want to go and eat a large piece of cake.

<fat and happy emoticon>

snoggle Fri 07-Feb-14 15:27:50

Oh I love chocolate rice cakes!

OP so do you eat bread? Potatoes? Pasta? All contain sugars.

I don't eat sugar. I don't think I'm devoid of fun, especially when I'm drinking my buttered cocoa or stuffing pork belly down. Other people have different ideas of 'treats', my idea of a treat isn't something sugary. I don't get why people get cross and say my life must be boring.

FuckyNell Fri 07-Feb-14 15:33:06

I agree op that as a nation we eat too much sugar but come on, everything in moderation eh?!

RightInTheKisser Fri 07-Feb-14 15:33:24

I think it's more the lecturing high horse aspect of the OP which people haven't taken a shine too. Feel free to eat no sugar but don't lecture me or random delivery drivers about it!

bruffin Fri 07-Feb-14 15:33:37

He volunteered that he had diabetes and as we all know you rae more likely to get it in mid life if you eat the standard Western diet and are of Indian origin

Sugar doesn't give you diabetes. If he is Indian he has dark skin and cannot process enough vitamin D in the northern hemisphere. There is a link between lack of vitamin d and diabetes.

Ragwort Fri 07-Feb-14 15:38:27

Asea - it's the priggish attitude of the non-sugar eaters that I find so irritating, fine if you don't eat sugar and you feel better for it but stating it in such a 'holier than thou' attitude and almost apologising for 'only having sugar in a bit of fruit' just comes over as someone who is incredibly serious and studies every single food label before daring to have a mouthful grin.

And starting a thread on the subject (& referring to the delivery driver's ethnic origin confused) - it just strikes me that this is a person who is obsessed with the boring details of food - of course I could be very wrong. smile

<goes back to cake>

nicename Fri 07-Feb-14 15:43:22

Well there are loads of things IMHO people shouldn't do but I don't feel the need to bang on about it.

I shall do if asked though!

I'm not priggish :-(

But if I mention that I don't eat sugar, I get, "Yes you do," or, "It's in pasta," (I don't eat pasta). It's almost as if there are some people who become defensive when talking about their own diets. Me, I'm not that fussed.

(Yes, the ethnic origin threw me a bit, but I thought it was a reference to the different rates/likelihood of diabetes.)

I hope you enjoy your cake :-)

nicename Fri 07-Feb-14 15:48:19

Sugar in pasta?

I suppose there are ways and ways of saying it though:
'No thanks, I try to avoid sugar' or 'PUT THAT BISCIUT DOWN, TAMARA! ITS POISON!'

TheGonnagle Fri 07-Feb-14 15:48:50

No sugar.
No fats.
No carbs.
Skimmed milk/full fat milk, butter/margarine etc etc etc

Could it be that actually everything in moderation and nothing to excess is the way forward?

Hazelbrowneyes Fri 07-Feb-14 15:50:27

really important that those of us who eat healthily let others know it's possible

hmm How patronising?

Seeing as you eat so healthily, OP, would you mind ever so much sharing an example of your daily food intake to help us mere mortals understand better?

Asea - you haven't come across priggish at all smile

Monty27 Fri 07-Feb-14 15:55:33

OP best stay away from Waitrose online then. They're giving free bottles of champagne at the minute smile. The alcohol-pushing criminals shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now