Is England not shitting itself Scotland becomes independent cos then they will have the tories FOREVER

(222 Posts)
ssd Wed 05-Feb-14 08:15:23

Its a thought isnt it....

DC must be rubbing his hands, get rid of those bloody labour voters in Scotland and we;ll be in gov forever!!!!

But that has always been the case. Then technology catches up and they are able to extract more.

Being independent isn't going to suddenly use up all the oil. The referendum isn't about oil. Scotland can carry on without it. We just have to (I hate this word) future proof our industry. Make sure that when the oil is no longer flowing we have a strong backbone of new industry to keep people employed.

Theonlyoneiknow Mon 17-Feb-14 08:38:49

I work in the oil industry too and am not convinced there is enough long term production available in the North Sea. Perhaps for my lifetime yes, but not for my children and their children.

PigletJohn Mon 17-Feb-14 00:17:13

As a UK citizen habitually resident in England, I am only an observer in the possible breakup of the UK. Like 90% of the UK population.

If the people who currently live in Scotland vote to leave us, I wish them well, but have no influence either way.

As did I for many years. And the important part in your post is the words "could" and "if"

It doesn't matter which government is in charge if oil prices plummet the effect would be the same. However, I believe the Scottish government is positioning Scotland in the renewables field will help if the worst were to happen.

peggyundercrackers Sun 16-Feb-14 21:45:28

Glaikit you don't know me at all... funnily enough I work within the oil industry so I do know about it, yes I know there are scots people working in the industry I have friends who work all over the work in the industry from Houston in USA to Africa, Russia, Scotland, Norway etc. etc. and the Scottish part of it isn't as strong as it's made out to be, yes Aberdeen may be booming right now but give it ten years or so and the picture could be very different, if the oil price drops so will a lot of the production, it will be too expensive.

Fannyfifer just because I don't believe in mass immigration doesn't mean I'm racist - where's the shaking head smiley when you need it... It's an obvious card for you to play, can you not be original in your insults?

Peggy, with all due respect, you don't know anything about north sea oil and how it's extracted. Shell are selling assets, but they are also in joint venture with these new exploration companies that are reactivating wells, and getting more oil from them. The oil fro. The North Sea is top notch a grade crude. Very few places you get that. So as long as there is oil out there, it will always be viable.

Go to canada, us, Nigeria, Angola, Algeria, and you will find Scots working in the oil fields. We have an abundance of top quality oil workers all with skills that are transferable to other industries, renewables being one. And independent Scotland is not all about the oil.

And as for you comments on immigration, don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way south.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 16-Feb-14 20:46:00

I've seen at least as many folk from rUK saying they'll move north when we say yes, as say they'll leave, so that should balance out. There is new investment in the Kraken fields, and the potential for a whole new boom off Ayrshire once we're rid of Trident. We currently pay more to the Treasury than we get back (yes, we subsidise rUK atm!) so will be wealthier. We can adopt the euro or not, that's a choice several years away and not currently possible. And yes, we do need immigrants, rUK may not.

FannyFifer Sun 16-Feb-14 20:40:35

Great, a racist Scot. Whats wrong with promoting immigration?

peggyundercrackers Sun 16-Feb-14 20:39:03

Scout land? Fecking iPad... It should be scotland!

peggyundercrackers Sun 16-Feb-14 20:38:26

I live in scout land and think it would be a bad thing for it to be independent. In fact I don't know anyone in RL who wants independence. I do know quite a few people who have said if we get independence they will look at moving out of Scotland as it will change the country, in a bad way, for ever. I don't know if I would go that far but I would be prepared to move out if that's what it came to.

As for oil... There are lots of oil fields but the kit extracting the oil is old and needs billions spent on it to keep it going - it's getting to the point of being uneconomical hence the reason shell are already selling off their kit in the North Sea. The Brent fields are being closed slowly but surely and so will others. Yes there is millions being invested in the oil industry but it's so they can get oil in Canada, Angola, Nigeria etc. etc. these are the other places where it's cheaper to get oil out of the ground...

I don't believe there are enough people in scotland, who pay enough tax, to maintain the standard of living the country experiences just now - from the nhs to security to the forces to eduction to front line services and everything in between.

The white paper has said we will join the eu and salmond has said he will give us the euro... Great... So much for being independent... In order to grow the population they will open the borders to lots of immigrants, just what we want and need, not!

HollyHB Sun 16-Feb-14 20:09:44

Scotland clearly needs to find its own way in the world. For better or for worse, and the Scots people need to understand that it could be better or worse and it is quite likely to get worse before it gets better.

But nonetheless, the price is worth paying. Liberation never did come cheaply. Wealth is not everything, equality and openness are important too.

Look at America, arguably the wealthiest large country in the world. Horrible health, horrible drugged-up lifestyles, crime, prisons, homelessness, malnourishment. A simpler, more frugal, yes more old-fashioned and healthier society has a lot going for it. Most of all, over time, they can rid themselves of GCHQ and the eavesdropping secret police society that Britain has become. Good luck to them; it will not be easy but then easy living was never high on the list for Scots people.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 16-Feb-14 19:45:15

We don't hate you, and already pay for our own prescriptions and uni courses. smile

OrangeFizz99 Sun 16-Feb-14 19:27:13

I think Scotland should vote yes. Then we wouldn't have to hear them whine about hating us all the time whilst getting free px and uni courses. They can pay for all that themselves then. Brilliant.

claig Sun 16-Feb-14 14:54:16

'and rid themselves those shitebags in London'

That's no way to refer to the Upper House.

ixqic Sun 16-Feb-14 14:40:25

independent

ixqic Sun 16-Feb-14 14:38:22

I want Scotland to become independence and rid themselves those shitebags in London. Living in the North East, my biggest regret is not being able to join them in a merry escape.

From the white paper

Citizenship and passports
In taking forward the result of a vote for independence, we will ensure that British citizens “habitually resident” in Scotland on independence will automatically be considered Scottish citizens. This will include British citizens who hold dual citizenship with another country. Scottish-born British citizens currently living outside of Scotland will also automatically be considered Scottish citizens. Other people will be able to register or apply for Scottish citizenship on independence based on clear criteria.
All Scottish citizens will have the right to acquire a Scottish passport, although there will be no requirement to hold one. We plan that citizens will be able to apply for Scottish passports from the date of independence.

FannyFifer Sun 16-Feb-14 13:42:16

Scottish "one".

FannyFifer Sun 16-Feb-14 13:41:28

People born in Northern Ireland can have a UK of a republic passport so would assume similar situation.

Or likely that can use UK passport till it runs out then apply for Scottish Inez

Theonlyoneiknow Sun 16-Feb-14 13:30:07

Will those born in Scotland have to give up their UK passports? And those born in england who live in Scotland have à dual nationality passport ?

FannyFifer Sun 16-Feb-14 12:52:23
claig Sun 16-Feb-14 12:49:16

Interesting Peter Hitchens article in today's Mail on Sunday about Scotland, independence, the UK and the EU. Sad, but there is some truth in it.

'I think we have lost Scotland. I felt it the other day, a disturbing sensation like that moment when the tow-rope parts, the strain too great for its rotten, decayed fibres to bear.

As for the Prime Minister’s threat to take the whole Cabinet to Scotland, the actual sight of this squad of third-raters and phonies on the streets of Glasgow or Stirling should make a Nationalist victory certain."

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560410/PETER-HITCHENS-We-ask-Scots-loyal-ones-betraying-Britain.html

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 14-Feb-14 20:17:25

The Sunday Herald is more pro than the Herald. I almost cancelled my delivery earlier this week, their stories have been so negative.

Solopower1 Fri 14-Feb-14 19:45:51

Well what did you expect? The dirty tricks brigades will soon be out in force, on both sides.

Cameron and Salmond are each fighting for their political futures. The other parties are waiting to rob their dead bodies. It's not going to be pretty.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will just have to make our minds up as best we can. There are so few indisputable 'facts' in this that all we can rely on is our knowledge of human nature and history.

When you talk to people who have already formed their views, there's usually a point at which the logic runs out and prejudice and gut feeling fill the gaps in their arguments.

Whenever I read or hear something I always think, who is telling us this, and why?

Here's the link to the Herald article. The Herald is mostly on the 'Yes' side, I think.

www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/yes-does-not-mean-yes.23438016

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 14-Feb-14 19:14:57

I'm seeing a lot of that kind of reaction on my twitter, prettybird (well, not so much the geography stuff, though it's true!). Threats are not working any more, they're just enraging folk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now