Stan Collymore and Twitter abuse

(25 Posts)
DoctorTwo Wed 22-Jan-14 13:27:13

Racial abuse and death threats have been reported to Twitter and the police. The police have reacted but Twitter have not. When I used Twitter I followed him and he's quick to retweet abuse he receives, thus putting into plain view how far many football fans have to go to overcome racism in the game.

I saw him interviewed about this earlier, and he decried all forms of online abuse I suppose he likes to dish it out in person including that faced by Caroline Criado Perez.

AuntieStella Wed 22-Jan-14 19:12:53

I thought he spoke persuasively.

Given events in his past, I had not expected ever to support him. But he's doing the right thing on this.

AuntieStella Wed 22-Jan-14 20:45:05
DoctorTwo Thu 23-Jan-14 09:59:55

Thanks for the link. It's good to see Staffs police are investigating, let's hope they get the help they need from Twitter. All that abuse because he told the truth; Suarez did dive.

DoctorTwo Thu 23-Jan-14 13:07:46

Collymore quits Twitter. sad How rubbish that he's been forced away.

claig Thu 23-Jan-14 13:22:57

Stan wants "age verification tools" for twitter?

What has that got to do with it?

I think Ulrika makes good points about him

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544456/Ulrikas-fury-Stan-Collymores-public-anti-bullying-campaign-ex-footballer-bullied-beat-black-blue-relationship.html

scaevola Thu 23-Jan-14 13:27:23

I can she why she wants people to remember what sort of man he is.

But no-one, whether of good character or bad, should be on the receiving end of such hateful Twitter abuse. And if he does anything to help get it stamped out, that will be a welcome thing in itself and unrelated to his past.

claig Thu 23-Jan-14 13:36:57

Stan gets a lot of media time for this and other issues and campaign type things. I think he'll probably open his twitter account again, and we'll probably see him campaigning on the same type of thing again in future, and he will probably be given lots of media access for it.

'UK residents are among the world's most prolific Twitter users, but academics and free speech advocates warn that the British government's harsh response to tasteless or offensive tweets could have a chilling effect.

Speaking to the BBC, Dr. Bernie Hogan of The University of Oxford's Internet Institute said the UK government was being "incredibly heavy-handed" in its response to abusive online speech, and was well out in front of other countries in taking legal action against such behavior.

Hogan's comments come amid growing public concern within Great Britain over legal action and criminal prosecutions tied to online speech."

nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/08/20/free-speech-twitter/

claig Thu 23-Jan-14 13:41:12

Does anyone know what Stan's wish for "age verification tools" have to do with it?

Will that prevent abuse?

sobbingmummy Thu 23-Jan-14 13:57:34

Sorry, but SC is a vile person. During a night out in the 90s he tried to kiss me and grabbed my boob.

claig Thu 23-Jan-14 15:03:14
claig Thu 23-Jan-14 15:03:46

Newsnight next?

TheFabulousIdiot Thu 23-Jan-14 15:05:27

In a month where Beth Tweddle was subjected to some vile abuse online I wonder why Stan Collymore is getting all the press... oh hang on....

claig Thu 23-Jan-14 15:06:23

Very good point

AuntieStella Thu 23-Jan-14 15:09:20

I think the one reason Collymore is more visible in the media is that he works as a commentator and therefore is far closer to broadcasters.

TheFabulousIdiot Thu 23-Jan-14 15:10:14

I think the one reason Collymore is more visible in the media is that he works as a commentator and therefore is far closer to broadcasters is a man.

true

AuntieStella Thu 23-Jan-14 15:18:49

I meant to write "I think that one reason is..."

For Tom Daley, like Beth Tweddle, did not receive this level of attention, so it's not one simple sex-linked reason. And I think with each time Twitter abuse comes up, it is getting more attention as the shows it's not just a handful of isolated incidents but an enduring problem that needs attention.

normaleggy Thu 23-Jan-14 16:37:43

Totally different, Collymore has made this into a campaign against the vile, racist arseholes who sadly still exist and I for one back him 100%. How sad that people will try and drag him down because of an isolated incident 15 years ago. Someone is trying to finally do something to stamp out the abusive trolls on twitter and all people can do is slag him off and bring up his past. Pathetic attitude in my opinion. I'm not condoning what he did, and neither is he, but clearly he has grown up and moved on from those days and is now trying to do something good. I want to see the ignorant racism in this country stamped out and I will back anyone who fights for it.

Nancy66 Sat 25-Jan-14 11:22:12

it wasn't an isolated incident. Collymore has a long history of violence, abuse and threats against women. Nasty shit.

norma, he's not the only person or the first person to highlight abusive trolls on Twitter. Women did that. Collymore is a thug who is too stupid to realise people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

claig Sat 25-Jan-14 12:25:30

www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/362250/Old-banger-rant-by-Stan-Collymore-backfires-as-trolls-stand-up-for-Ulrika-Jonsson

'One of the fundamental problems for me is age verification. The age user range of Twitter has gone down dramatically and I’m seeing gangs of kids from 10 to 18 goaded by adults to make racist and homophobic and sexist insults on Twitter - so Twitter need to deal with this.'

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2543652/Watch-Collymore-row-BBC-presenter-accuses-wrong-law.html

'Age verification' again.
How does Stan know that there are 'gangs of kids from 10 to 18 being goaded by adults'?

We have calls for 'age verification' and we have 'Dr. Bernie Hogan of The University of Oxford's Internet Institute said the UK government was being "incredibly heavy-handed" in its response to abusive online speech'

and Stan, a celebrity, gets access to the media - BBC 5 Live with Nicky and Newsnight on a different campaign before.

Will 'age verification' control abusive language?

claig Sat 25-Jan-14 12:40:00

Are we likely to see campaigns in the future to remove anonymity from posters (not on twitter) but elsewhere on the internet, in social media and forums?

Wil the action of a few abusive posters or even of 'gangs of kids' lead to campaigns to end internet anonymity for everyone and wil that stifle free speech?

Will there be more than 'age verification' in the future?

"A lot of this comes down to the politics of anonymity, a subject likely to greatly exercise the minds of legislators as our media becomes increasingly digitised, and we rely more and more on mostly unaccountable and easily manipulated sources – from TripAdvisor to Twitter feeds to blog gossip – for our information.

"One simple antidote to this seems to rest in the very old-fashioned idea of standing by your good name. Adopt a pseudonym and you are not putting much of yourself on the line. Put your name to something and your words are freighted with responsibility. Arthur Schoepenhauer wrote well on the subject 160 years ago: "Anonymity is the refuge for all literary and journalistic rascality," he suggested. "It is a practice which must be completely stopped. Every article, even in a newspaper, should be accompanied by the name of its author; and the editor should be made strictly responsible for the accuracy of the signature. The freedom of the press should be thus far restricted; so that when a man publicly proclaims through the far-sounding trumpet of the newspaper, he should be answerable for it, at any rate with his honour, if he has any; and if he has none, let his name neutralise the effect of his words. And since even the most insignificant person is known in his own circle, the result of such a measure would be to put an end to two-thirds of the newspaper lies, and to restrain the audacity of many a poisonous tongue."

The internet amplifies Schopenhauer's trumpet many times over. Though there are repressive regimes when anonymity is a prerequisite of freedom, and occasions in democracies when anonymity must be preserved, it is clear when those reservations might apply. Generally, though, who should be afraid to stand up and put their name to their words? And why should anyone listen if they don't?"

www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/jul/24/internet-anonymity-trolling-tim-adams

claig Sat 25-Jan-14 12:43:57

'Generally, though, who should be afraid to stand up and put their name to their words? And why should anyone listen if they don't?"'

This is what the naive Guardian journalist says.
But can you imagine what would happen to protestors in the Ukraine if they criticised their system and can you imagine how criticism and free speech would be stifled?

Quite, Claig. I always assume anyone who critcises anonymity on the internet hasn't actually bothered to think about it.

AngelaDaviesHair Tue 28-Jan-14 17:29:38

Collymore is an appalling man in many ways. But I am glad he is getting abuse campaigns and in particular, racist abuse, discussed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now