Nelson Mandela has died

(343 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

RIP

He was the first proper hero of mine
sad

wordsmithsforever Fri 06-Dec-13 06:28:36

I live in SA - grew up here, left and then returned post-apartheid. Here in SA, we all owe him a massive debt. He steered us through a period which could have been very different. A real leader. I'm glad he is at peace. Hamba kahle Madiba - we will all miss you.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 06-Dec-13 06:36:39

I was working in a hotel cleaning rooms the day he was released.
I stuck on the telly to see it and still remember thinking what a beautiful face he had, he looked like a man at peace with himself.
He also proved to have a beautiful soul.
RIP.

marssparklesdownonme Fri 06-Dec-13 06:41:29

RIP flowers

OnaPromise Fri 06-Dec-13 06:52:46

RIP - an extraordinary person.

lollylaughs Fri 06-Dec-13 07:08:55

As I mentioned on the other thread. South Africans are sad today, and mourning a great man.

notmydog Fri 06-Dec-13 07:12:55

wordsmiths exactly what I wanted to say. I'm a white South African. We owe this man more than we would ever know. What an amazing life he has led. Sleep in peace dear Madiba.

ProfondoRosso Fri 06-Dec-13 07:13:49

God bless him, eternal rest.

NomDeClavier Fri 06-Dec-13 07:19:22

RIP Mandela

His presence in the world, even when he had retired from public life, served as a constant reminder and an inspiration for people all over the world of all races to do the right thing. Something very precious has been lost with this man.

Thought President Zuma made a beautiful, thoughtful speech.
Also loved Obama's tribute - talking about how he was one of the best people we have all shared this Earth with.

So loved his warmth and his engaging smile - felt like you knew him personally didn't it?

And such wisdom especially in working for reconciliation and peace x

ButThereAgain Fri 06-Dec-13 08:22:11

I remember exactly where I was when he walked out of prison. I can't think of any other moment so iconic in my adult life except for the breaking down of the Berlin Wall -- part of a set of events that themselves contributed to an acknowledgement by the South African regime that it was a broken and expired entity that had to change and could change. The revolutions in Eastern Europe and in South Africa together defended a short optimistic period of incredible creative freedom that it is hard to recapture now.

Nelson Mandela deserves all of the tributes he is getting now but it is still uncomfortable to watch them. There is a slight feeling of an old man being exploited a little -- by the media and by politicians. The media because they have all their ready-made packages they've been itching to air, plus 24-hour rolling footage of small groups of mourning South Africans to fill pointlessly extended news reports. And politicians because they are all so eager to take their little portion of his reflected light. Like others have said, I hope he doesn't get too much of the Diana/Mother Theresa treatment. His huge contribution deserves a serious and dignified period of analytical obituary.

Absy Fri 06-Dec-13 08:48:11

I'm glad that he's finally at rest - poor man has been ill for so long (he was what, 94?) it's good that he has some peace.

I'm South African, and he was such a great leader to have - it all could have gone so differently. I remember people being absolutely terrified that the end of Apartheid would mean a bloody civil war, violent retribution, but it wasn't. It was a peaceful passing of power, and Mandela (and Desmond Tutu) were absolutely instrumental in that happening. His lack of bitterness and his willingness to look for the best in people is utterly inspiring. It's such a pity that now SA doesn't seem to have any leaders who are able to live up to his legacy.

mrsjay Fri 06-Dec-13 08:51:25

RIp to a wonderful Human being I shed a few tears last night,

pinkbraces Fri 06-Dec-13 08:52:22

A truly great man. RIP

roguepixie Fri 06-Dec-13 09:42:24

RIP. A truly amazing person. A giant of a man.

StillWearingOddSocks Fri 06-Dec-13 10:10:44

Incredible man and leader. I was at the Nelson Mandela freedom tribute concert after his release, at wembley. I still have the programmes. He was my hero when at school and still is. A truly selfless man.

Agree with someone else who posted above...lets hope he doesn't get the saccharine treatment. A lot of the MPs may not have been so vocal when apartheid was still active.

Mignonette Fri 06-Dec-13 10:19:18

Totally agree with ButThere and the inevitable parade of competitive tributes, the famous all vying with each other as to who knew him best/met him the most.

Amazing Grace #Madiba.

wistlin Fri 06-Dec-13 10:25:30

Didn't Margaret Thatcher call him a terrorist? Has DC made any kiind of statement since his death?

Mignonette Fri 06-Dec-13 10:30:58

Yes the old witch did.

Gladvent Fri 06-Dec-13 10:31:12

RIP. A great man. I was a teenager when he was released. We had yellow ribbons everywhere and the song playing for weeks.

Yes DC said he was a hero of our time and of all time, and that a light had gone out in the world. IIRC
Was good, but the light going out bit came across slightly oddly to my ears
Not as good as speech from Zuma or Obama IMHO but good enough

Kendodd Fri 06-Dec-13 10:39:14

I can't, off the top of my head, think of anyone in the world as universally respected and inspirational.

The world is a poorer place today.

melika Fri 06-Dec-13 10:43:52

Such a beautiful man, in every way. I would have been honoured to have met him. May he rest in peace.

My kids know the song, 'Free, Nelson Mandela' so well cos it's one of my favourite singing songs around the house. I am white with Irish heritage. No connnection but somehow he made that connection around the world. Thank you Mandiba. thanks

sisterofmercy Fri 06-Dec-13 11:03:00

A complex man who could have been so bitter but instead, after his release, was a man of immense peace and grace but who was still strong enough to lead during a period of reconciliation and soul searching.

A global hero. RIP

boschy Fri 06-Dec-13 11:08:45

I am relieved his suffering is over, if I'm completely honest.

yes, of course, sad day for the world - but no more medical intervention for Nelson. RIP

Mignonette Fri 06-Dec-13 11:10:58

This.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now