Boris Johnson says Super Rich are an ‘Oppressed Minority’ worthy of our ‘Humble Thanks’ – Time for a Reality Check

(84 Posts)
ttosca Mon 18-Nov-13 19:20:41

Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, today used his platform of a column in the Daily Telegraph newspaper to argue that the super-rich are a ‘put upon minority’ like homeless people or the travelling community. He argues that they should be protected from ‘bullying’ by the public, who should instead be offering their ‘humble and hearty thanks’ for their ‘prodigious’ contributions to our public finances.

The reality is, these super rich individuals are paying an ever smaller share, while receiving substantial tax payer funded subsidies, and the protection of the publicly funded police from an increasingly outraged public.

The Cost of the Human Welfare State

The UK Government spend a total of £694.89bn a year, to do everything. The amount the government spend on benefits is £159bn, with £72bn (45%) of that going on pensions. So, we have £85bn (12% of spending) a year actually going on working age benefits. The UK’s current unemployment rate stands at 7.8%. It makes sense that we spend this proportionate amount of shielding citizens from poverty induced by involuntary unemployment, and support sick and disabled people who cannot work or who bear additional financial costs to work.

cont'd

www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/18/boris-johnson-says-the-super-rich-are-an-oppressed-minority-worthy-of-our-humble-and-hearty-thanks-time-for-a-reality-check/

pointyfangs Thu 28-Nov-13 21:49:13

The only problem with the model we both prefer is that it will need a step back from the DfE's current 'one size fits all' attitude. This started with the National Curriculum and has only got worse since, with the deterioration accelerating under Michael Gove, the man who is on the record as saying 'all schools should be above average'.

We have to start acknowledging that children learn at different rates and in different ways, which is why we need selection at different ages - I'd argue for a third intake at 16 for the late developers. That means trusting not only parents, but schools and teachers too, and the DfE isn't doing that at all at the moment. My DD2's school is an example - they were given 'Requires Improvement' at their last OFSTED, but the inspector said that had the team come on a different day, they would have got Good and been borderline Outstanding. That tells me the inspection regime is completely dysfunctional. The school is a good school - a great school, with amazing pastoral care, teaching which manages to be both inspiring and creative and an ethos of teaching to the child's best, not to national targets. However, that doesn't fit the SATs factory mould and so is not properly appreciated, except by parents and children.

Until we have an education system that serves all children and delivers each child's maximum potential, we will never get anywhere.

And getting back to topic - if Boris thinks I'm going to humbly thank the super rich for anything, he has another think coming. I admire those who have risked their own money and started businesses, employing lots of people. However, asking me to admire those who have done nothing but inherit from mummy and daddy - save me!

claig Thu 28-Nov-13 22:31:28

I am with you completely. We need different models and need to scrap the 'one size fits all'. Notmany of us would choose to wear a 'onesie', so why should schools be 'one size fits all', which is why I am not in favour of a comprehensive only model, and ys since teh school laving age has increased, then why not intake at 16 too.

' I admire those who have risked their own money and started businesses, employing lots of people. However, asking me to admire those who have done nothing but inherit from mummy and daddy - save me!'

Exactly, I admire meritocracy and people who have achieved and created something against the odds. I admire exceptional people, which is why I admire Thatcher, but I don't admire people who were born with a silver spoon n their mouths and then look down on others less privileged than themselves.

claig Thu 28-Nov-13 22:34:26

Boris's "unpleasant elitism" will be discussed on Newsnight now. I will have to Sky Plus it, because I will be watching Question Time instead.

TheLeftovermonster Thu 28-Nov-13 23:17:16

Hmm, looks like he is suckuing up to some of the filthy rich, who will then back his political ambitions. In exchange for something.

ttosca Sat 30-Nov-13 13:49:24

And now for something completely different:

Stupid poor people are stupid and poor, says massive blonde-haired child

www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/stupid-poor-people-are-stupid-and-poor-says-massive-blonde-haired-child-2013112881538

petteacher Wed 04-Dec-13 13:35:15

Boris was being his daft/mystical self with a few jokes thrown in

Juliet123456 Mon 09-Dec-13 13:57:54

It certainly is true that if you pay a lot of tax in the UK (as I do although I am certainly not in the super rich league) and create jobs you don't get much thanks. He was just trying to encourage people to remember that 30% of the tax is paid by 1% of tax payers.

yorkshirenipper Fri 13-Dec-13 14:55:30

Boris goes for PUBLICITY and forgets about commonsense.

columngollum Mon 03-Mar-14 09:44:44

I don't know if it's worth a new thread. But his latest outpouring is that children at risk of radicalisation should be taken into care.

Surely the obvious thing to do with anyone at risk of radicalisation is to talk to them (which many people already are doing.) You can legislate against what people do in a democracy. But you can't legislate against what people think. All you can do is reason with them. And if they break the law you can put them on trial.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now