why we don't have enough money for public services

(5 Posts)
purpledolphin Sat 12-Oct-13 22:58:35

Hi I've just come across this petition I think the large number of PFIs explains why we have not got enough money for public services I'm putting the link for anyone to sign if they agree.... but of course everyone will have their own opinion epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/42460

edam Sun 13-Oct-13 17:43:59

You are quite right that PFI was and is hideously expensive. These contracts have been sold on multiple times. Each time the owner of the contract makes fat profits, while the public get feck-all.

Started under Major, developed under Brown and Blair - in hock to the City and big business.

ttosca Sun 13-Oct-13 17:53:18

It is true that PFI are a rip-off, however, we do have enough money for public services:

UK's tax gap rises by £1bn to £35bn

HMRC says increase in value of tax lost through non-payment and avoidance schemes reflects rise in VAT rate to 20%

www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/oct/11/uk-tax-gap-rises-hmrc-avoidance-nonpayment

niceguy2 Mon 14-Oct-13 08:30:59

PFI was a huge disaster, the scale of which I don't think we fully understand yet. Introduced by Major but embraced in a big way by New Labour who could get hospitals etc built now without having to actually pay for it now and leave some other mug to do so in the future.

Pretty much the same way as the entire economy was run and how we're in our present predicament. Buy now, pay later. It's fine when used selectively and sparingly. But PFI is the government equivalent of pay day loans.

deepfriedsage Mon 14-Oct-13 08:35:16

We also have an ageing population and non nuclear family set up. The biggest proportion of benefit recipients are oap's via pension or care services.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now