I'm not exactly a fan of Nick Clegg...

(54 Posts)
miffybun73 Thu 03-Oct-13 10:52:35

...but love the fact that he has said this, "if anyone excels in... vilifying a lot about modern Britain, it's the Daily Mail."

Full article here:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24379322

MrJudgeyPants Fri 11-Oct-13 15:44:23

Without cherry-picking the quote, I actually wrote "When looked at from this perspective, voting for Tea Party candidates becomes the reaction to their poverty, not the driver for it. The Tea Party performs the same function in the US that Labour traditionally fulfils here."

For various reasons in the UK and across Europe, when faced with difficult economic times, our populations, and especially those amongst the working classes, have tended to support ever more statist political parties - be they the traditionaly more statist Labour party as in the UK or the more dictatorial nazi's, golden dawn etc...

For whatever reason, and I genuinely don't know why, amongst the working class voters across much of the 'red-state' US, there is a tendency to support the less statist elements of the republican party. In other words, the demographic that supports the Tea Party in the US the most would be the same target demographic for the Labour party here in the UK.

Or if you'd rather have that explained as a soundbite I refer you to BOTH sentences quoted above!

TheHammaconda Fri 11-Oct-13 16:19:46

Actually, Tea Party supporters are broadly representative of the US public. In fact, they are more likely to be of average or higher income. You can't catagorise them as 'working class voters'. The Tea Party has support accross all demographic groups. according to Gallup research However, [[ http://www.gallup.com/poll/147635/tea-party-movement.aspxthat support is falling]].

TheHammaconda Fri 11-Oct-13 16:20:34

Well that didn't work! It should have been this link

Sierra753 Sun 13-Oct-13 10:09:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now