Tesco profits down - where they have gone wrong?

(304 Posts)
Funions Wed 02-Oct-13 19:47:12

Not so very long ago, Tesco used to be held up as a massive UK business success story. I've read Tescopoly and sure some people despise them - they've enraged farmers and the protest lobby by aggressive policy with suppliers,store-expansion and squeezing out independent shops.

They've made a bunch of bad decisions outside the UK; but they had a huge loyal customer-base in the UK and a lot of their problems must come down to complacency and not thinking enough about their home-grown customers, despite the masses of data they collect through clubcards.

I'll post my own personal reasons for reducing my shopping with them, but think it would be interesting to have an open-forum to see just how out of touch and poor they have become, with stories from MNetters. Maybe someone from Tesco will read it and have a think about what they can change.

Dear Tesco....

This is where you have gone wrong...

Viviennemary Wed 02-Oct-13 20:26:50

They can't compete with the cheaper shops. And their quality is pretty poor. And the special offers are very very misleading. I should have got two for the price of one and didn't. I rang up Customer Services got no joy. I have not set foot in the place for a month. They are not customer friendly. Staff in all the other big names are much more helpful and polite.

TheRealHousewifeOfSomewhere Wed 02-Oct-13 20:26:58

Price
shit products
Dont give a shit attitude from staff
and which insane sadist idiot do they get to design their fucking car parks?
There are at least 6 other supermarkets I can think of just off the top of my head I would rather shop in.

meditrina Wed 02-Oct-13 20:29:00

Also, George is fab, Tu is Ok (possibly better for me, but less so for DC). F&F is dull.

ReviewsOffers Wed 02-Oct-13 20:30:54

I hardly even go in any more. But the last few times I was in either of my local stores they were messy and untidy looking. Stock not faced. One bag of bendy looking carrots left. Glaring lighting and big horrible red and blue signs.
Hard to decipher the actual price of things, multiply by 8 divide by a hundred to compare to the price of the other carrots in the 750 gm bag divide by 3 multiply by 4, and that's if it's BOGOF. Different to last week, when carrots were just 1.99. Annoying

TheCrackFox Wed 02-Oct-13 20:31:10

They have completely lost track of the basics.

Their customer service is, quite frankly, shite. Uninterested, rude staff. Far too many self service tills.

The shelves are being constantly stacked and the staff seem to take great delight in pretending the customers aren't trying to get stuff off the same shelves. Cages all over the place that you can't get past.

Prices changing daily. Special offers that are none sensical. Different Tescos in the same town with completely different prices

The Clubcard was dicked about with so no longer as good.

Shops dirty and cluttered.

The distinct impression that they couldn't give a stuff about their customers. My closest Tesco seems to be run for the benefit of the staff.

usualsuspect Wed 02-Oct-13 20:31:34

It's a bit expensive.

However I take issue with the slagging off of the staff.

The staff in Tesco are no different to the staff in any othercsupermarket.

puffylovett Wed 02-Oct-13 20:32:47

I can't bear wandering up and down aisle after aisle looking at the amount of shit shit sugary processed shit they sell.

Aldi and local butchers / farm shop for me. I want local British products that are healthy and unprocessed. I top up at tesco when I have to, but I equal my weekly aldi spend just buying squash nuts and rice milk in tesco.

spicynaknik Wed 02-Oct-13 20:33:33

I don't like the way they do sneaky things like have identical items at different places in the store for different prices. So for eg in the normal confectionery aisle something will be £3.99. In the Christmas aisle the same thing will be £5.49. I have seen in with various items over the last year or so. It makes me feel they think we are idiots.

Food quality is not great either. Plus it is expensive for what it is.

Meglet Wed 02-Oct-13 20:35:40

Poor customer service. I complained about 3 things (I'm a big complainer blush) over a 2/3yr period. They never replied, explained or apologised.

- having to queue at customer service for a baby + toddler trolley as they didn't keep them in the car park. So I had to cart the baby seat and toddler across a busy car park.

- substituting the wrong size nappies on a home delivery. Different brand would have been fine, but not totally the wrong size.

- having a tesco express crammed with 'management huddles' and staff filling shelves, with only one till open during the pre-work rush. Resulting in a massive queue angry.

So I really can't be bothered to shop there anymore. Sainsburys all the way.

usualsuspect Wed 02-Oct-13 20:36:20

I prefer Asda, it's cheaper and has better offers.

Can't stand Aldi, too small and scruffy and hate the faff at the till and packing bit.

MrsWickens Wed 02-Oct-13 20:37:01

Everyday value range has dramatically gone up in price. Reduced items that are reduced by pennies. Far too expensive for me to do a weekly shop.

Damnautocorrect Wed 02-Oct-13 20:37:54

Your food is poor quality and tasteless. You also have the ethics of a slug and are squeezing your producers to within an inch.

TheRealHousewifeOfSomewhere Wed 02-Oct-13 20:37:57

The staff in my 2 local Tescos really dont give a shit. Stand there moaning and moaning about what shifts they have to work, when their next break is and leave you waiting to be served. They also serve colleagues infront of you (fine) but then continue to chat and chat and chat (usually slagging off tesco) with no regard to the queue of customers waiting. There are never any baskets in the door way and when you ask for one they roll their eyes and ask if I have looked in the basket checkout! Sorry but that is SHIT - and I cba with it ontop of their crap products, prices and shitty car parks.

I have to say the staff in my local sainsburys and morrissons dont do that - well not infront of me.

barleysugar Wed 02-Oct-13 20:38:00

I find that their fresh produce is past it's best, I've had tomatoes go mouldy the very next day, muffins and bread rolls with mould spots hidden on them. And their meat is overpriced, over packaged and underwhelming on flavour. We can get the most marvellous British pork at Morrisons, and 98% of the pork in our Tesco is Dutch, though you have to look closely at the label to find that out!

Oreocrumbs Wed 02-Oct-13 20:38:31

Aldi is better, cheaper and closer.

I tend to do a big online shop at least once a month, always £100+. Sainsbury's give me free delivery for that, Tesco charge me. So now I shop with Sainsbury's.

MrsWickens Wed 02-Oct-13 20:38:44

Oh and the entrance and exit to my local Tesco car park is abysmal and causes congestion for the rest of the town.

TheCrackFox Wed 02-Oct-13 20:40:56

"Having a tesco express crammed with 'management huddles' and staff filling shelves, with only one till open during the pre-work rush. Resulting in a massive queue"

Oh God, yes, swanning about with clipboards and not actually doing any work. The customer service is shit because the managers are constantly role modelling their bad attitude which is probably filtered down from head office.

usualsuspect Wed 02-Oct-13 20:41:24

My DD works in Tesco,I will tell her how shit she is shall I?

pippop1 Wed 02-Oct-13 20:42:03

There were too things that I couldn't reach in Tesco so I didn't buy them. No staff around to help.

I can reach everything in Waitrose.

pippop1 Wed 02-Oct-13 20:42:22

Two

Mamafratelli Wed 02-Oct-13 20:42:23

The quality of meat is shocking. Staff are disinterested. Horrible lighting, toys are massively overpriced. It's trying to do everything and doing it all badly.

Give me Sainsburys any day.

feelthis Wed 02-Oct-13 20:42:45

Does she work at the customer service desk? To be fair I am sure the people themselves aren't shit the training they receive must be abismal or non existant!

Admiraltea Wed 02-Oct-13 20:43:14

Have taken government free labour so feel like I've paid them already. Not really necessary for me to boost their profits further from my income.
Aldi, Lidl (very close) and Waitrose (worth the drive plus get the carrier bags so my mother doesn't have heart failure). Sainsbury corner shop. Remember Tesco from childhood and my mum wouldn't go through the door as it wasn't very "naice". ...

Oreocrumbs Wed 02-Oct-13 20:43:25

YY to the food being past it's best. I can get it delivered and find mouldy salad items in the next day or two.

IMO their meat is the poorest of all of the supermarkets and one of the most expensive.

ASmidgeofMidge Wed 02-Oct-13 20:43:52

I agree - quality of own brand items has really deteriorated. Shops appear scruffy/dirty, and there is too much focus on 'convenience' foods. The (small) Tesco Express near me has decided to start selling American foods (sweets, Kraft macaroni cheese) - wtf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now