Chelsea Manning

(7 Posts)
NicholasTeakozy Thu 22-Aug-13 18:22:37

Bradley Manning, whistleblower and potential Nobel laureate has stated is is female and wishes to be addressed as Chelsea. Good luck to her, it takes guts to come out as transgender, all of those women and men that do have my utmost respect.

kim147 Thu 22-Aug-13 18:45:41

It's been unconfirmed news in the trans community for a while. It seems like the authorities will not be providing treatment sad

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Thu 22-Aug-13 18:47:25

It just comes across as more torture for her too, the refusal to provide the treatment etc. sad

CoteDAzur Thu 22-Aug-13 18:52:12

Oh dear. Is this the worst possible moment to declare that he feels female? Right before he is jailed with hundreds of men who haven't seen a woman in a long time, that is sad

NicholasTeakozy Thu 22-Aug-13 21:44:39

I don't think it's very nice to refer to her as a he. Chelsea has asked to be called Chelsea, I think after all she's been through she deserves that. 9 months in solitary has been rightly called torture by the trial judge. Ms Manning could've gone down the plea bargain route but she didn't, as she would've been asked to compromise Julian Assange, which she was not prepared to do. She deserves respect for that, as she knew her principles and honesty could easily have meant spending the rest of her life in prison. As it is she's been sentenced to 35 years for embarrassing the government.

CoteDAzur Fri 23-Aug-13 06:57:57

"Not very nice" hmm

I have a lot of respect for this person. Just think the timing of this declaration is very bad and will likely make all those years in prison terribly difficult.

NicholasTeakozy Fri 23-Aug-13 07:58:16

Thanks for clarifying Cote.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now