Two boys killed by snake.

(52 Posts)
deepfriedsage Tue 06-Aug-13 13:20:55

Two poor little boys lost their lives. I don't understand how the snake could constrict both boys?

Tiredemma Tue 06-Aug-13 13:23:01

I have read a news report about this this morning and things don't add up.

I would be interested to see how this investigation pans out.

comingalongnicely Tue 06-Aug-13 13:25:23

Very strange. Snakes kill & then eat, how on earth it managed to strangle them both with no noise at all is peculiar & then go away & hide rather than eat them is even stranger.

Will be watching the news with interest...

Tiredemma Tue 06-Aug-13 13:26:28

and 'punch' its way through a ceiling apparently- after crawling 'up' a ventilation shaft.

hmm......

HeySoulSister Tue 06-Aug-13 13:26:41

saw it this morning. horrible

I don't understand about these snakes. and I actually don't want to even google it.

poor boys. how must their poor family be feeling.

HeySoulSister Tue 06-Aug-13 13:27:40

wow....hadn't questioned this in anyway....til now sad

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 06-Aug-13 13:27:56

It's very curious.

The snake came up through the ventilation system silently, seemed to strangle both children individually, and then hid in the living room?

They seem to be blaming poor husbandry in the store, saying the snake hadn't been fed and didn't have a good enclosure. It didn't eat them, though, which you'd expect if it was hungry, and the children were asleep, so there was no threat.

I'm expecting there to be a big twist here because from a reptile-keepers point of view, it doesn't make any sense yet.

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 06-Aug-13 13:28:47

I got distracted and wrote that before the other replies, apologies for repeating it!

It is very sad for the children and their mum. I can't imagine how confused and upset she must be.

deepfriedsage Tue 06-Aug-13 13:30:13

The boys were not at home either, staying with Mums friend apparently.

deepfriedsage Tue 06-Aug-13 13:31:34

The Mum must be feeling dreadful, whatever the occasion that required the boys be babysat.

Eyesunderarock Tue 06-Aug-13 13:33:48

It is a horrible tragedy, but the autopsies are today and that should identify the exact cause of their deaths, and how the snake was involved.

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 06-Aug-13 13:34:15

Sky News have said that they were at a sleepover with the owner of the reptile centre's boys (does that make sense?).

The reptile centres owner seems to reference that during his speech, too.

No mention of the other boys when the snake attacked, either.

I can't help but think this will kick off a big debate about the safety of snakes, rather than snake husbandry, which is what really needs to change.

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 06-Aug-13 13:34:48

(I'm presuming that the boys don't need more snake education as there is no indication that they woke up, but that's something else that could be explored.)

RestlessSoul Tue 06-Aug-13 13:42:34

There is something not quite right about this story, I would not be surprised if the man ends up a suspect for their murder. Their poor mother.

For me, the most suspicious thing is how could you not hear a python crashing through the damn ceiling?!!! How did the man not wake up then? And the boys- they would have been screaming for help, right?
and as comingalongnicely says don't large snakes swallow their prey whole? why would it just hide like that? <too much crime tv>

HeySoulSister Tue 06-Aug-13 13:45:18

it does sound a bit implausible but restless,lets not speculate about that!

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Tue 06-Aug-13 13:45:28

Hmm- as my 10 year old self would say 'itchy chin'. Too many amazing coincidences

RoseFlowerFairy Tue 06-Aug-13 13:47:32

It does not sound right at all. Their poor Mother.

HighJinx Tue 06-Aug-13 13:50:32

It's absolutely tragic and very, very odd.

I don't understand how the snake could fall through the ceiling and kill both boys yet neither of them woke up or screamed.

BUT maybe we aren't getting the full story.

tribpot Tue 06-Aug-13 13:50:42

I had assumed, to be honest, from the Beeb referring to them as 'strangled by snake' in quote marks that they are simply reporting what has been said, without going quite as far as adding 'allegedly'.

Very, very sad for the family. What an awful thing to have happened.

RoseFlowerFairy Tue 06-Aug-13 13:51:53
HeySoulSister Tue 06-Aug-13 13:52:16

is it possible that the snake strangled both together? I don't know.....just seems odd

HighJinx Tue 06-Aug-13 13:56:20

Yes tribpot I got that impression from the BBC site too. They also had a quote from David Rogrigue, director of Montreal's Ecomuseum Zoo, saying that he thought the attack was "difficult to believe... very, very extraordinary, and very improbable"

Hopefully the autopsy will explain what did happen. Just awful.

KatoPotato Tue 06-Aug-13 13:57:31

They were sleeping on the floor?

Why was that man driving in the nuddy?

deepfriedsage Tue 06-Aug-13 14:47:36

Who was driving?

neveronsunday Tue 06-Aug-13 14:49:56

Sounds very odd to me.

I'm sure there have been cases of snakes arrempting to swallow toddlers but I've never heard a snake strangling pray then moving on without eating.

I'm no expert though.

No need for DM to print so many heartbreaking pictures of them.

So sad, whatever happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now