Woman allegedly raped in Dubai jailed for extra-marital sex

(9 Posts)
kim147 Sat 20-Jul-13 11:57:59

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23381448

The authorities did not believe she was raped - no confession or no 4 male witnesses sad but instead decided that because she had sex out of marriage, she should be jailed.

MamaMary Sat 20-Jul-13 11:59:42

Shocking, horrific. This is sharia law.

YoniRanger Sat 20-Jul-13 12:44:40

More horrific is the BBC's use of 'raped' in inverted commas.

Makes it look like she made it up!

Pixel Sat 20-Jul-13 18:59:51

Where is the raped in inverted commas bit? I can't see it.

It's all such crap isn't it. What are the chances of ever having four adult male witnesses who are willing to testify on behalf of a woman? Either they will know the attackers and not want to drop their 'mate' in it, or they will be strangers, but who wants to get on the wrong side of four strangers (with a proven tendency to violence) just to protect a woman who is probably seen as someone's property anyway?

MamaMary Sat 20-Jul-13 21:05:25

Pixel, I imagine the point of the four male witness thing is that it will never happen; it's intended that the chances of 4 males witnessing and being willing to report are next to nothing. The whole system is designed to repress and punish women and let men off.

Pixel Sat 20-Jul-13 21:38:29

Exactly. Says it all really.

johnmarson Mon 22-Jul-13 10:02:32

I see a lot of negative comments about this being a Muslim country. Police siding with the person who committed the rape is actually extreme common in many non-muslim countries. It even happens in the USA time to time. It also happens in poor christian countries (IE South America, Eastern Europe). Sadly, it is a women’s right issue that would not be solved even if you got rid of Islam.

http://www.carbonated.tv/lifestyle

More horrific is the BBC's use of 'raped' in inverted commas.

Is this not simply a legal technicality that they have to use, like "alleged" - until a conviction, they have to use terms like this as nothing has been tried and proven.

As for the need for confession or 4 male witnesses though - abominable. Do they get any rape convictions at all?

Pixel Mon 22-Jul-13 14:55:51

I don't suppose they get any reports, let alone convictions. Why would you bother when you know you will be even worse off?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now