Zimmerman found 'not guilty' of Trayvon Martin's murder

(390 Posts)
Kveta Sun 14-Jul-13 03:25:58

m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23304198

Bloody hell.

How utterly crap for Martin's family and friends sad and how dangerous for race relations in Florida sad

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 14-Jul-13 18:25:58

Is Zimmerman racist, only he knows.

Would he have reacted the same way if he had encountered someone white that night, we don't know.

Did the police handle this case so badly because it was just another black youth, who knows.

We can only draw our own conclusions. I personally think it would have been a very different outcome if that poor young man had been white.

JustinBsMum Sun 14-Jul-13 18:27:51

On the radio 4 news this morning they said there was a dispute and Trayvon reached for the other guys gun so he shot him, if that is the case then it is a sort of self defence. I wouldn't let someone take my gun if I was arguing with them.

Both Americans and Britain have been complaining of police racism for years, as have there been discussions on both sides of the pond of racism in the judiciary and every other power structure. The justification can be found in all those links I've given that you seem to have ignored. The discussion in the Trayvon case is only an extension of a much larger conversation that many people have been having but the mainstream have mostly been ignoring.

Personally, having seen Zimmerman supporters on Twitter today, I'm not sure why anyone would want to include themselves in that group. It's been vile.

Also, saying that you're willing to sleep with a black man makes you not racist is like men saying they're not misogynistic if they sleep with women. It's doesn't make much sense.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 14-Jul-13 18:32:52

I didn't think the LL comment was even worthy of a response tbh.

AmberLeaf Sun 14-Jul-13 18:35:03

Yes the poor innocent 17 year old 'gangsta' with a string of burglaries, history of violence and drug abuse, and gold teeth hasn't got "justice", how terrible

Dora why do you keep spouting this shit?

Trayvon Martin did not have a criminal record.

Zimmerman was the one with a history of violence.

AmberLeaf Sun 14-Jul-13 18:38:50

The LL comment; hmm

yamsareyammy Sun 14-Jul-13 18:47:19

My take on this is that we will never know some answers to this case.

The problem is that there is racism in America, and mud sticks.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 14-Jul-13 18:50:23

It's alive and well in the UK too.

Chanatan Sun 14-Jul-13 18:53:06

Very much alive in the UK.

Mixxy Sun 14-Jul-13 19:03:23

He racially profiled a young black man. This was not disputed by his own defence. They said he was reasonable to profile him racially. They even put a witness on the stand to say her house had been broken into by a black guy to add to the case that it was reasonable to assume Martins guilt. Why people don't understand this...

crescentmoon Sun 14-Jul-13 20:26:14
HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 14-Jul-13 20:32:02

His appearance changes nothing.

Chanatan Sun 14-Jul-13 20:33:08

I dont get what point you are trying to make crescentmoon

crescentmoon Sun 14-Jul-13 21:09:04

sorry i saw this point a poster had made on the first page....

"I can understand thickos in America being taken in by the laughable media coverage of the case (using a picture of Martin when he was 13 FFS), but it's disappointing so many in the UK are stupid enough to be taken in by it too."

and replied without reading through to page 4. that snopes link deals with the 'misinformation' that trayvon's pic was of a 13 year old, that he was actually a wannabe gangster, gold teeth etc by saying photos circulated instead and reported on were actually of different young men. apologies if it has already been linked to.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 14-Jul-13 21:29:55

Has there ever been a murder case before where the victims dental work was held up as evidence to his character?!

niceguy2 Sun 14-Jul-13 21:53:52

20 years for a warning shot

The thing I don't understand is how Zimmerman gets off after shooting Martin dead in such dubious circumstances under the 'stand your ground' defence yet this lady gets 20 years for firing a warning shot against her abusive ex.

Where's the justice?

TabithaStephens Sun 14-Jul-13 22:15:17

The SYG defence was not used in the Zimmerman trial. It was simple self defence, valid in all 50 states.

Boomba Sun 14-Jul-13 22:32:26

Whether you agree with SYG or not is irrelevant really. Zimmerman was the one with the gun follwing Travyvon. This thing stinks

forehead Sun 14-Jul-13 22:36:55

The verdict is a bloody joke.

forehead Sun 14-Jul-13 22:39:53

Dora you ARE racist . Simple as.

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 22:48:43

Oh Lord...Just sat watching one of the witnesses for Martin - his friend Rachel Geantel - Ladies - Google this on YouTube !! I have literally lost brain cells watching this sham of a witness! You won't get me unless you watch it and will then understand what I mean!

Boomba Sun 14-Jul-13 22:54:02

Grrrrr....surely Trayvon was using SYG for any interaction he had with Zimmerman....Zimmerman was the one who was following him....can you SYG against someone who is SYG??

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 22:58:22

Oh my word - on the YouTube vid of Rachel's interrogation, Tracy Martin is laughing !! Okay, she's undeniably laughable, but Trayvon's father ?!

Boomba Sun 14-Jul-13 22:58:49

chrissie...sham of a witness???

surely you mean a sham of a prosecuter??

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 22:59:54

Boomba - have you watched this vid??! Seriously, even Trayvon's father is laughing...laughing in court!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now