Zimmerman found 'not guilty' of Trayvon Martin's murder

(390 Posts)
Kveta Sun 14-Jul-13 03:25:58

m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23304198

Bloody hell.

How utterly crap for Martin's family and friends sad and how dangerous for race relations in Florida sad

yamsareyammy Sun 14-Jul-13 16:25:39

I know very little about the case, but ChrisseTay, Martin's back history is of no relevance to this case, is it?

If it was, it would mean that every time a previous criminal, or someone with form for bad behaviour is hurt, murdered robbed etc, then nothing should be done about it.

Is that what you call justice?

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 16:30:21

yamsareyammy I'm not stating that Martin's past criminal history is relevant per se, I'm saying his family are potraging him to be an angel! Therefore, this gives the media more ammunition to back up the prosecution against Zimmerman in the public eye! I feel very saddened for Zimmerman actually - reading his brothers Twitter, the death threats they're getting are ridiculous!

Chanatan Sun 14-Jul-13 16:35:48

You seem to be using Trayvon Martin,s history as justification for what Zimmerman did.
And lets face it,the Zimmermans are no angels,there is a little matter of a fraud trial coming up.

yamsareyammy Sun 14-Jul-13 16:45:08

Why is Trayvon Martins past history relevant at all, ChrissieTay?

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 14-Jul-13 16:52:42

He was their son and I am sure they loved him no matter what he had done and of course they would want people to know positive things about him.
But for christ sake let it go, what he did in his life had no bearing on why he was shot.

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 16:58:41

Chanatan & yamsareyammy - I've just answered this before and can't be bothered writing it again

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 16:59:41

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 17:02:01

If Zimmerman had been your partner / brother / father and some thug with an attitude starts laying punches and bashing his head on the concrete floor, would you not want him to self-defend?? If I was in that situation, I'd shoot aswell, as I think many of us would !

Chanatan Sun 14-Jul-13 17:07:46

The colour of my skin has no bearing on my opinions but that statement from you makes me think you are racist.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 14-Jul-13 17:09:00

Actually i am white, you are a racist.

Mixxy Sun 14-Jul-13 17:10:04

First of all Dora Trayvon did not have a criminal record, let alone a record for a 'string of burglaries'. If you can't get even the most basic of your racist spouting correct, there isn't much hope for you. (Not that anyone with an IQ above 90 really listens).

Secondly, Zimmerman is the one with the criminal record. Two for domestic assault, speeding, and struggling with an officer. There is an untried case of molestation alleged against Zimmerman.

Now, back to the Daily Mail with you.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 14-Jul-13 17:12:47

Oh and I have reported your post.

Chanatan Sun 14-Jul-13 17:15:06

I wouldnt have bothered Hokey,let everybody see her for what she is.

yamsareyammy Sun 14-Jul-13 17:15:26

I'm white too.
Maybe my use of the words per se, and yours, are not the same.

Chanatan Sun 14-Jul-13 17:17:51

And for the record I,m white too.

yamsareyammy Sun 14-Jul-13 17:23:37

Past criminal history - he doesnt appear to have been previously charged with anything, whereas Zimmerman had. Though again, not sure if Zimmermans past criminal history had any bearing on this case.

Else , that too would mean, that anyone with a charged criminal past, is guilty of anything else that comes to court.

I'm not black (lightskinned Metis). I am from the States though and have family there. The news has been highly followed, along with the case of Marissa Alexander, the Florida Black woman who got 20 years for firing a shot at a wall that hurt no one to scare off an abusive husband who admits he was there to harm her.

Prison in America is highly racialized as are stopping procedures. Ignoring race is to be blind to the problems such as that the racial profiling that you spoke of earlier gives no better results and White people are far more likely to have contraband than people other groups because we've all been shown that they're more likely to get away with it . Britain is better though racism is a problem in the UK's police force as well.

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 18:09:27

HokeyCokey I am not actually - let LL Cool J take me to bed anyday wink

But I also don't need to justify this to u...

What I find quite ironic is that none of you have actually answered my question - Where is / was the racial indication within this attack ???!

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 18:11:12

Wasn't Zimmerman involved in some charity work for a black friend / neighbour a few tears ago? Would he seriously have done that if he was a racist ??!

Card - played - much !!confused

yamsareyammy Sun 14-Jul-13 18:12:48

ChrissieTay you say he was a thug with an attitude. Where do you get that idea from?

I am not personally sure there was a racist indication.
Wasnt there. Dont know the 2 people at all.

yamsareyammy Sun 14-Jul-13 18:14:13

People can hide behind charity work sometimes.
especially celebs

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 14-Jul-13 18:14:26

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/14/how_power_works_in_america/singleton/

Can't link as on phone, interesting reading...

staffie99 Sun 14-Jul-13 18:15:35

I suppose it's a bad time to point out that the only evidence of racism in this case with any credibility is Trayvon Martin referring to Zimmerman as a "creepy ass cracker".

Cracker originated from the term whipcracker, as in a slavedriver.

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 18:20:02

staffie99 - I'm referring to the whole case - there are protestors all over America right now claiming racism - accusing Zimmerman, the Jury, Judge, Police etc of being racist due to giving him the not guilty verdict!

What I said was where is any indication that Z was actually racist and it was actually Martin who used the racist slur! Not that am saying Martin was racist, by no means I'm not but where / how is your argument justified??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now