Zimmerman found 'not guilty' of Trayvon Martin's murder

(390 Posts)
Kveta Sun 14-Jul-13 03:25:58

m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23304198

Bloody hell.

How utterly crap for Martin's family and friends sad and how dangerous for race relations in Florida sad

fuzzywuzzy Sun 14-Jul-13 12:07:34

The police told Zimmerman not to follow Martin, he should not have been chasing after a kid with a gun.

chocolatespiders Sun 14-Jul-13 12:36:18

Dora- Have you evidence of a police record? And why is that relevant of what happened on the night? The boy had been to a shop paid for sweets and a drink and walked home with his hood up because it was raining!!! And he was profiled by a wannabe cop who regularly phones reporting people to the police.

What about Zimmermans history is that relevant?

chocolatespiders Sun 14-Jul-13 12:47:52

Casey Anthony killed her kid = Not Guilty

George Zimmerman kills a teenager= Not Guilty

Michael Vick killed a dog= GUILTY #WakeTheFuckUp!

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 14:48:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 14-Jul-13 14:50:04

Fed up of "them" to whom are you referring?

Chanatan Sun 14-Jul-13 14:53:46

I,m interested in who you referring to as "them" as well.

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 14:54:18

No, a life should not have been taken and the US gun law is for another post, and I also don't agree that it was Trayvon's fault totally just because he has records of criminal activity, but I do NOT believe race has anything to do with it! And all of those protestors in America just clearly have nothing better to do...

On the issue of race though, it was actually Martin when on the phone to his friend that made a white racial remark about Zimmerman !! R u all blind?!

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 14:56:32

As 'them' I'm referring to the black communities obviously - the ones who feel the need to revert back to centuries ago and claim that everyone id a racist!! Jeez we live in 2013 get a grip!! Yes, there are still racist people / groups etc but you tell me where the racial element was in this case for people to jump on the 'race' bandwagon ??! confused

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 14:58:44

So do we flip it around and call Martin racist for referring to Zimmerman as a 'cracker', which apparently in the US is a racist term amongst thr black communities for white people???!

Chrissie, do you think Zimmerman would have chased Trayvon so vehemently if he was white? If it had been a white kid in that situation, the vigilante-wannabe wouldn't have looked twice, but because it was a black boy in a hoodie, he was "suspicious" and went in when he had been told to wait for the police.

THAT is why race is a factor in this case.

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 15:08:18

GalaxyDefender - this is exactly my point?! WHY or what makes you believe he wouldn't have acted the same way if Martin had've been white??! What evidence supports that? Crazy!

Zimmerman is multi racial himself too !!

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 15:09:28

I do agree however that he seems (Z) as though he was a vigilante/law enforcement wannabe! But still NOT a racial reason for his attack

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 15:11:41

Also, not being rude here, but if Martin's colour/race riled Z's suspicion, isn't it statistical fact in the US that the majority of criminal activity is carried out by black men ? Statistically, the majority of men on death row are black males...Was Jeffrey Dahmer a racist for targeting a black male? No!

Chrissie - Zimmerman called the police and they told him NOT to follow Trayvon. He used race specific slurs about Trayvon as to why the police should come against and why he was following.

The coroner proved that Trayvon had no bloods on his hands and no offensive or defensive wounds - just an old cut on his finger and a point blank shot. The coroner said that Trayvon was able to feel the pain for 1-10 minutes but was unable to move. This completely goes against what Zimmerman said (that Trayvon held his wound and said "you got me"). He wasn't even able to grab the wound.

Zimmerman being part Latino doesn't mean he can't be racist against a Black youth.

Chanatan Sun 14-Jul-13 15:21:36

Also, not being rude here, but if Martin's colour/race riled Z's suspicion, isn't it statistical fact in the US that the majority of criminal activity is carried out by black men ? Statistically, the majority of men on death row are black males,that statement could be taken another way www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-quigley/fourteen-examples-of-raci_b_658947.html

Dora - Zimmerman has a string of assaults, sexual molestation, and rape charges against him. However his criminal record was dismissed as was Trayvon's school records showing he had a 3.7 GPA (out of 4), a full ride scholarship to University, and over 600 volunteer hours under his name.

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 15:33:07

LittleSporksBigSpork - Yes, I agree that he should've waited for the Police to arrive as opposed to following Martin, but again, as I said before I also agree that he was on a power trip - law enforcement wannabe!

Where and what where his 'slurrs' about Martin that would be considered racial ?!

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 15:34:16

Chanatan - they're not actual statistics of prison and the colour / race of the majority of inmates, which is what I was referring to

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 15:35:50

LittleSporks - Are you saying because apparently Martin was well educated / intelligent then he therefore could not have been in any way violent towards another human being???! One name - Ted Bundy! Look how intelligent / edicated he was!

Dora - that picture was 6 months old and most of the thug pictures have been proven to be another person entirely. Trayvon was small than Zimmerman www.snopes.com/photos/politics/martin.asp

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 15:42:45

Martin's family are portraying him to be an angel (!) yet pictures have leaked online of him smoking drugs! And text msgs on his phone, that he'd sent to a friend just before he was killed, about his anger towards losing a fight with somebody ! Quite the little angel that!

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 14-Jul-13 16:00:34

What he did or didn't do before he was shot is irrelevant, he was not on trial.

He was not committing a crime nor was he armed. He was shot, in all probability because he was a young black man in a hoodie.

If you have black family or know young black men in this country then you will know how they can be treated purely because they are young and black.

That is why some of the black community raise these issues, because they are relevant and not because they 'are playing the race card' as I think you put it.

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 16:12:23

HokeyCokie - was Martin not committing a crime when he started repeatedly punching Zimmerman ?! Errm, no, as Zimmerman was a wannabe vigilante - Martin was a wannabe gangster by all sounds of it!

I don't have black family, but have / do have black friends who, in this day and age, actually agree to an extent that their own races play the card all too often.

ChrissieTay Sun 14-Jul-13 16:14:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Chanatan Sun 14-Jul-13 16:17:34

If racisim wasnt so widespread then ethnic minorities would be unable to "play the race card" as you describe it,so blame the racists rather than the racially abused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now