Zimmerman found 'not guilty' of Trayvon Martin's murder

(390 Posts)
Kveta Sun 14-Jul-13 03:25:58

m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23304198

Bloody hell.

How utterly crap for Martin's family and friends sad and how dangerous for race relations in Florida sad

Boomba Fri 19-Jul-13 21:21:35

also, actually..my posts havent even been aggressive...aprt from 2, where i told you to get to fuck and the other where i told you to stick the race card up your ass confused

Chanatan Fri 19-Jul-13 21:26:34

Boomba,dont rise to the bait,I refused to engage with her since very early on in this thread after a blatantly racist post.

Boomba Fri 19-Jul-13 21:28:17

AND anger is a perfectly natural and reasonable response to racism and to the murder of Trayvon Martin and the injustice of the trial. You talk to me as if Im abnormal in some way for my emotions confused

BlingBang Fri 19-Jul-13 21:32:01

Don't know what happened other than Zimmerman instigated the whole sequence of events and was armed with a gun. he followed Martin, and if Martin felt in danger from some older guy following him then yes I don't think he was out of order to defend himself from threat. We have no idea what happened to cause the fight and who threatened and confronted who or who actually made the first move. but Zimmerman caused this.

Had I been on the jury then I might have not been ale to give a guilty verdict as t has to be beyond reasonable doubt but Zimmerman is lucky to have walked away from this.

Boomba Fri 19-Jul-13 21:34:01

you are right chanatan smile

ChrissieTay Fri 19-Jul-13 21:36:44

Boomba - Other posters have challenged my opinion of the case, but have not been as angry and rude as you! I will be yet again, reporting you for your defarmation of character, goodbye

Evening

A link to our talk guidelines for those who may need a look.
Thanks awfully.

JaquelineHyde Fri 19-Jul-13 21:49:08

Oh yet again Chrissie ignores all of my post as she has done through out the whole thread and just continues to post utter bullshit. Not only bullshit but highly offensive, insensitive bullshit.

Disgusting behaviour, utterly disgusting.

Chanatan Fri 19-Jul-13 21:51:38

defarmation of character, grin or actually pmsl.

JaquelineHyde Fri 19-Jul-13 21:51:50

Oh no Olivia's here...scarper grin

chocolatespiders Fri 19-Jul-13 22:19:15

Oh no did I miss a reply to me..

Racism should not be allowed/tolerated on Mumsnet and the poster should be told to do one.

BCastle: Elvis's entire dance style and early music style is based on what Black artists were doing for years at the time of his rise. Having two Jewish men write the lyrics to one song doesn't take away from his entire career being built on making that music and dance style more acceptable to young White people. That's the system of the industry, they do it all the time. You can practically follow the trends from one type of music channel to another - Cyrus and Bieber are both quite obvious examples - Bieber particularly has been used to clean up styles made famous by Usher and those similar to him. Their indecent (or in the case of Bieber quite horrible, violent) behaviour has nothing to do with being industry whitewashes. Even dance styles - Harlem Shake, twerking, all decade or more old in their place of origin, suddenly jump into the mainstream. It's practically a conveyor belt. It's not a natural progression or evolution, it's purposefully done by the industry to make money out of particular images, it's a purposeful system.

I am well away of Macklemore's song on white privilege and he can write about it all he wants, he can talk about it all he wants, has he put any of it into action? Has he used any of his concern to boost the actual LGBT*+ hip-hop artists, to give them more mainstream airtime? Has he turned down the accolades of being the first hip-hop artist to discuss these issues - no he hasn't, no he isn't. Nothing wrong with liking someone problematic, but he is. Any talent or recognition of the problem doesn't help if he doesn't do anything with it. He is not a credible voice for the LGBT*+ community - because he isn't a part of the LGBT*+ community. Just like Lady Gaga who has been promoted in the same fashion, regardless of complaints from the actual community about her horrible treatment and shouting over us.

Most mainstream rap is produced or at least makes its money through the white music industry, it has a function within the industry, it has to portray a certain image. You'd need to get beyond those to see artists without that imagery, hence why you haven't seen the LGBT*+ hip hop artists before. A lot of rock and pop has problematic lyrics or imagery as well - Axl Rose has a song full of n words and homophobic slurs and goes on about being "pro-hetero", many of particularly harder rock genre are full of it, no one complains that all rock has a homophobia or racism problem. Pretty easy to guess why.

Rhianna's songs are her processing the complicated emotions around her relationships. Taylor Swift does the exact same thing. One is torn apart, the other it's a nudge nudge wink wink joke. One having more difficult relationship is not the defining factor. It is well known Pink has also had rough relationships as has Madonna. Her abusive relationship with Sean Penn certainly didn't have the same effect and that involved a baseball bat and still confessing to loving him many months after.

A lot of this has already been written about and more detailed sources written by people within relative communities who choose to discuss or educate others and can be through whichever search engine you prefer to educate yourself with if interested.

BeyonceCastle Sat 20-Jul-13 04:47:10

Morning to you LSBSpork - Thanks for replying. Fair points you raise.
I was just thinking of this today as I read about artists I hadn't heard of getting more recognition although btl comments agree that it may be more about white record companies cashing in /making money than owt else.

www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jul/13/gay-rap-becomes-reality

Out of interest why do you think black artists like Dre/Wanz/Timbaland/Snoop are happy to collaborate with Eminem/Macklemore/Timberlake/Cyrus when they are white privileged?

Well aware of heavy rock being misogynist - not sure that Axl Rose is still relevant in the 2000s - back when he was being a twunt the media were demonising him for dodgy headbands rather than the proper issue of dodgy output. The double standards re criticising Rihanna for her relationship with CB and not Madonna with SP I think stem from the fact that Madonna was never seen as a positive role model for young girls as Rihanna is held up as. Also back in the late 80s dv wasn't even deemed a sodding issue. Rape within marriage didn't become a crime in England until 1991 ffs.

many apologies for any derail of thread

BeyonceCastle Sat 20-Jul-13 04:48:37

strike out fail - i meant to do it in bold - sorry

many apologies for any derail of thread

BeyonceCastle Sat 20-Jul-13 05:33:16

*musically relevant

should not post when knackered

bandanas (meaning the british media stories tended to focus on hellraising,attire and angram of his stupid name as opposed to his blatant racism and homophobia)
That said, in the US at least he was named and shamed for it in the same way gangsta rap was criticised. Sadly the controversy and furore probably enabled GnR to sell more copies...

Any talent or recognition of the problem doesn't help if he doesn't do anything with it.
You have already convinced me. But as his fanbase will include young male teens who could well need enlightening, it's a start at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now