Mandela critically ill

(92 Posts)
janey68 Sun 23-Jun-13 21:11:50

Not unexpected but nevertheless sad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23024836

timidviper Mon 24-Jun-13 02:13:55

Even I am no expert on this and am wary of a lot of the information online as, even now, there are still strong feelings amongst some so it may not be impartial. From what I understand Mandela did not plant the bombs himself but was a leading figure in setting up the fighting wing of the ANC and, by his own admission, "signed off" approval for bombs to be planted to further their political cause.

If you Google Nelson Mandela bombings you will find numerous sites showing appalling pictures of the carnage caused by the ANC bombing campaign which killed and maimed many yet seems to have been erased from history. This is one . Here is another but, as I say, I am no expert and cannot vouch for the veracity.

I am a great admirer of Mandela and all that he has achieved since his release from prison but he wasn't always so saintly.

EvenEducatedFleasDoIt Mon 24-Jun-13 02:33:07

Well, it's obv you aren't an 'expert'. Yes, Mandela did set up the 'Spear of the Nation' which was the armed wing of the ANC. Unfortunately the brief googling you just have done are from really ill-informed and slanted sites which I am sure the Nationalist Party would like to promote? No, he wasn't 'saintly' and indeed even on release insisted the armed struggle needed to continue, until the govt. were going to recognise the practice of democracy.
No-one in SA erases the bombings from history, but it is now recognised that the black majority were not going to have any access to human treatment by means of discussion or negotiation.

MyBaby1day Mon 24-Jun-13 02:52:34

I am so sad for him sad. I just hope he isn't going through anything or suffering, poor man. He was remarkable.

timidviper Mon 24-Jun-13 02:54:49

Which if you read my posts is exactly what I said Even. In my first post I have pointed out that the apartheid regime was abhorrent and I have said throughout that it is difficult to find information that is objective, rather than partisan but the fact remains that much of this period of South African history is largely unknown to most people in the UK now.

I lived in South Africa through some of the years of horrific brutality and have personally witnessed some of that violence. Maybe, if you are so well informed, you could link to more accurate sites so anyone interested in learning more could do so.

TheRealFellatio Mon 24-Jun-13 05:55:50

I absolutely detest the way the media circle like vultures over someone whose death is imminent. Sometimes there has been so much said about the person while we are all busy anticipating their death that there si barely anything to say upon it actually happening.

He's 94 for crying out loud, let him slip off when he's ready and let's talk about it then. And as for the fact that 'it has emerged that his ambulance broke down on the way to the hospital' being one of the LEAD stories on the news the other day - So??! Do we think the life of a very elderly man succumbing in the most normal way (organ failure/pneumonia) to his final days could have been averted if they'd used a different ambulance? confused

I remember this happening when George Best was on his deathbed as well. God, the poor man was having his eulogies read by various TV Rent-a-Gobs before he'd even drawn his last breath.

peggyblackett Mon 24-Jun-13 06:40:33

Amazing man - it's incredibly sad.

“There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” - Nelson Mandela

katydid02 Mon 24-Jun-13 06:45:10

It's sad, but then it is sad when anybody dies - it makes no difference if they are well known/famous/admired by many, it's a sad loss for their family and friends and that is what really matters.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Mon 24-Jun-13 07:25:35

A chance to find peace for Nelson Mandela himself but the world will be dimmer for losing him.

The peace and reconciliation alone was just an amazing way to try to heal a Nation.

vvviola Mon 24-Jun-13 08:15:38

I had the pleasure of holding a door open for him once, and got a lovely smile in return. Made my day. Hell, it made my year and, being an international superspy at the time, I ran into a fair few famous faces

Very sad that he's so ill, but I suppose it really is to be expected at his age (and the years in prison can't have been good for his health either)

meditrina Mon 24-Jun-13 08:44:12

This morning's update from BBC website.

It quotes a senior official saying that South Africans should not hold out "false hopes" and I think this suggests a final illness.

expatinscotland Mon 24-Jun-13 09:26:17

Why is it sad? Everyone has to die. He is very old.

Feminine Mon 24-Jun-13 09:50:49

I agree with expat here.

he is 94.

Meglet Mon 24-Jun-13 10:07:21

I don't like the way the media keep pouncing on him every time he goes to hospital, it almost comes across as being in denial about his age and state of health.

94 is a cracking age, especially after what he has been through and eventually achieved. None of us last forever.

I think it IS sad because so much of his life was wasted in prison for fighting a just cause. But agree that it is inevitable obviously, we all die someday.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 24-Jun-13 10:24:26

Why is it off? hmm He is no dying age 47, is he.

VeganCow Mon 24-Jun-13 10:29:02

Also agree with expat.

FreedomOfTheTess Mon 24-Jun-13 11:22:30

I think it's time to let him go peacefully.

As expat said, he is 94, and considering he spent so much of his life in prison, I think it's quite miraculous he has gone on to live as long as he has.

mumofthemonsters808 Mon 24-Jun-13 11:23:11

Agree with expat.

Mumma2cutiepie Mon 24-Jun-13 12:08:40

Very sad to hear this... Hope you get better soon smile)) or you are able to drift off to end the pain xx

I think what is really sad is how the current ANC is trying to milk this for everything they can.

It is sad for his family and others who love him. It is also sad as he represents so much for so many people. Personally, I am sad and don't want to face facts.

He has been a beacon of light and hope for me for over 35 years. I want him to go when he is ready but I will be probably weep buckets. As with any death of someone you admire, respect or love despite him being 94 I am not ready to let go, and probably never would be. He represents a personal journey for me when so much has changed both in SA and around he world.

Clawdy Mon 24-Jun-13 17:10:45

I remember his release from prison,such an amazing moment. Sadly I read an article recently saying his family are divided and feuding,mainly over the monetary assets linked with the use of the Mandela name. I really hope he is not aware of this,and can die in the peace he so deserves.

joshandjamie Mon 24-Jun-13 17:34:32

I posted this on FB today and I'll post it again here:

This from Nelson Mandela's daughter:
"Other people want to lecture us on how we should behave, and what we should do. Really, it's our dad, it's the children's grandfather. We've never had him in our life for the better part of our years. This is in a sense quality and sacred time for us, and I would expect the world to really back off and leave us alone."

Exactly. Leave the little old man alone with his family. He may be the father of a nation, but he's someones real father and grandfather and they deserve to spend time alone with him without the morbid death watch.

AvonCallingBarksdale Mon 24-Jun-13 18:40:24

Why is it sad? I think it's sad because he's dying, regardless of how old he is. He's a huge figure globally, but also someone's husband/father/grandfather. He's reached a remarkable age considering his time in prison and, yes, everyone has to go, but it's still a sad day IMO.

Chipstick10 Mon 24-Jun-13 19:09:12

I pray he goes quickly to end his suffering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now