Stuart Hall jailed for only 15 MONTHS

(40 Posts)
ghayes Mon 17-Jun-13 13:33:47

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22932222

Ridiculously short sentence IMO. They should have locked him up and thrown away the key.

PearlyWhites Tue 18-Jun-13 14:59:13

The reduction in sentence from 24 months ( the maximum the law allowed at time of offence) was reduced to 15 months not because of his age but because of his guilty plea.

Mumfun Tue 18-Jun-13 14:24:43

Too right Onesleep -double leniency.

That said I thought he might get nothing because of how Graham Ovenden was treated.

I hope the hell gets sued out of him and that he couldnt hide his money.

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 18-Jun-13 10:01:46

So he's had it both ways. Sentenced according to the tariffs of the time. But given a degree of leniency because of his age now. If the sentence was relevant in part to when the crime was committed then it should be dealt with consistently.

TheFallenNinja Tue 18-Jun-13 08:29:17

Well, I hope that the civil claim people go to town on this fucker.

SoupDragon Tue 18-Jun-13 08:10:11

This:

the judge has to apply the maximum sentences that were in effect at the time that the offences were commited (25yrs ago), rather than those currently in force (which are longer).

age was taken into account by reducing sentence by one third (a standard rule/practice apparently), i.e. he would have got 2yrs if not for his age.

TheFallenNinja Tue 18-Jun-13 08:08:05

Perhaps the sentence was short to ensure that his assets are sufficiently untouched and available for compensation.

Judges can be pretty creative in some circumstances.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 18-Jun-13 08:02:25

Apparently he's supposed to serve inly 2 weeks. Today's DM.

MrsTwgtwf Mon 17-Jun-13 22:09:53

Thanks, bkgirl, will send an email. smile

I think it's important that judges get a strong message on this. They are far too laidback about people like him. He claimed the victims were lying, right up to the last stage. angry So that abuse of them was this year. angry

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 17-Jun-13 21:35:20

Good post bkgirl.

bkgirl Mon 17-Jun-13 21:29:40

Oh for those that want to contact the attorney general about the light sentence..
correspondence@attorneygeneral.gsi.gov.uk

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 17-Jun-13 21:28:51

Hopefully he will die there.

bkgirl Mon 17-Jun-13 21:24:53

Why shouldn't pedophilles dies in jail? I would NEVER release then unless chemically castrated.

NiceTabard Mon 17-Jun-13 21:08:39

On a thread when the case was going it said that there was an accusation but that the victim didn't want to testify and that as they had 13 other people to testify they didn't push it with her, but it is still there in the background as it were.

ohforfoxsake Mon 17-Jun-13 21:04:03

What does 'one count of rape on file' mean?

It's outrageous. And that he has signed over all his assets to his wife so the victims can't bring a civil claim against him AFAIK. Vile man.

crazynanna Mon 17-Jun-13 20:53:07

Thank you MrsTwgtwf smile

NiceTabard Mon 17-Jun-13 20:19:07

Why do the sentences always seem to be concurrent?

Why not add them up like they seem to in the states?

If you added that lot up he would be in for a good few years and quite right too.

NiceTabard Mon 17-Jun-13 20:15:21

So he has been rewarded for getting away with it for years.

Fucking outrageous.

One count of rape lying on file as well.

A strong message to people interested in engaging in a spot of serial paedophilia, I think.

cerealqueen Mon 17-Jun-13 20:04:44

Well he will get crucified in prison, so his time will be short but intense.

avacuppa Mon 17-Jun-13 20:00:32

Here is a link to the judge's sentencing remarks: www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/stuart-hall-sentencing-remarks-17062013.pdf (warning: contains details of the offences).

Some interesting points:
* the judge has to apply the maximum sentences that were in effect at the time that the offences were commited (25yrs ago), rather than those currently in force (which are longer).
* age was taken into account by reducing sentence by one third (a standard rule/practice apparently), i.e. he would have got 2yrs if not for his age.
* the fact that he pleaded guilty (albeit not at the first opportunity) was given some weight.

MrsTwgtwf Mon 17-Jun-13 19:59:56

There is a campaign to lobby the Attorney General by making a complaint. Eddie Mair on PM was practically begging us to make one.

Don't suppose anyone's got a link? I think if lots of people complained it would send a useful message.

Really sorry about your dd, crazynanna. sad

AnyaKnowIt Mon 17-Jun-13 19:45:07

The Attorney General are now looking into it.

hackmum Mon 17-Jun-13 18:43:53

The man who defaced the Rothko painting got two years.

I think that says something about the justice system's priorities.

ohforfoxsake Mon 17-Jun-13 17:22:30

angry

crazynanna Mon 17-Jun-13 17:16:08

Does seem short, but agree his age/health had an influence.

20 years ago, DD's abuser got the same sentence for 3 counts of indecent assault on her, so comparing the amount of victims here, yes it was short. Or we had a bloody good judge.

MardyBra Mon 17-Jun-13 17:12:40

angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now