4 year old starved to death by his parents

(307 Posts)
SquidgyMummy Tue 04-Jun-13 19:53:29

Horrendous Story

What i can't understand is why all the people who could have helped him: Teachers, school nurse, doctors etc could not see he was being mistreated. My 2 1/ year old weighs more than that poor child when he died.
I am just sickened by his needless death and the hand wringing "if only's" by the other adults who should have protected him

Chippychop Wed 05-Jun-13 22:55:44

I'm not reading the report. I know enough by what's been discussed on here. How truly awfully heart breaks for the little tot.lets all try not to let this happen. I hope his parents rot in hell

KrazyKurls Wed 05-Jun-13 23:04:26

That poor wee soul has been let down by so many, I could not do the teachers job my heart would break for them.

May he rest in peace.

chocolatespiders Wed 05-Jun-13 23:22:28

Absolutely heartbreaking > that is all..... RIP Gorgeous boy

ArtemisiaGentileschisThumb Thu 06-Jun-13 11:34:39

I can't stop thinking about this since I read it yesterday. I'm so sad and angry for that poor, lovely little boy.

RoooneyMara Thu 06-Jun-13 19:18:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nettle1 Sat 08-Jun-13 10:01:03

I have cried and cried since reading this. That darling boy still manages a coy smile in his photo despite the terrible trauma he suffered on a daily basis. Enough of making excuses for the teachers etc. They all had a duty if care to this child. They were all responsible for his safety and well being and they could have done more. Ewo should do unannounced visits in cases such as this but tge regulations prevent them there is a fear child is at risk of imminent harm which clearly the school didn't think that there was. Im heartbroken for this child and what he suffered at the hands of those monsters. Hope they rot in hell in prison for the rest of their live s. Probably they'll be out in no time though

Feenie Sat 08-Jun-13 10:26:52

which clearly the school didn't think that there was

I would wait until we know the full facts - that isn't the impression I got. As far as I can see, the teacher was recording incidents and was straight into the Head's office on at least one occasion in reaction to one incident. All a school can do then is keep reporting it to the EWO and Social Care - I get the impression this happened.

If I am wrong about that, then the school need to be accountable and should have to take responsibility.

Incidentally, the Head in poor Lauren Wright's case who refused to take on responsibility for Child Protection in her school (she wouldn't be able to do that now), leaving the post vacant, was free to go on to be a Head elsewhere. The NQT who kept flagging up concerns to her never taught again.

Feenie Sat 08-Jun-13 10:30:08

According to this report, the deputy head even rang his GP.

That's Social Care, EWO, his GP......everyone knew. So why the hell didn't anyone act?

chocolatespiders Sat 08-Jun-13 14:56:47

They could have given him some food though sad

When I read they stopped punishing him for taking food shock how must he have felt so desperate for food but then punished at school for taking it. I know they didnt realise how desperate he was but my heart breaks.

Cloverer Sat 08-Jun-13 15:04:52

I've not seen anything to say that they didn't give him food - there are hungry children in every school and teachers often do try to give them extra snacks and milk. And he also brought in a packed lunch. They couldn't let him eat other children's lunches though.

chocolatespiders Sat 08-Jun-13 15:10:49

Did you read what his lunch box consisted of?

I hope I do read that they gave him something to eat... I do realise this is not an isolated incident and have read about teachers having to feed hungry children sad

Feenie Sat 08-Jun-13 15:18:02

They could have given him some food though

I am sure they did. Most teachers have been in this situation, believe it or not sad and we all make sure that the children have something to eat, one way or another.

Feenie Sat 08-Jun-13 15:18:37

but then punished at school for taking it

Not seen that anywhere - are you sure?

Cloverer Sat 08-Jun-13 15:27:12

There are probably children in his class with worse packed lunches than him.

I'm not defending anyone, but I don't think the teacher can take the blame. She probably did give him some extra food, he was bringing some lunch in, she referred her concerns to the Head (and hopefully the Head referred to Social Care). GP, paediatrician were involved.

Undoubtedly there were things that went wrong and lessons to be learned, but also it is very hard to stop a determined parent killing a child.

It seems there are only two ways to view child protection - it's either social workers destroying innocent families, taking children instead of offering support, misinterpreting things, schools and nurseries blowing things out of proportion and over-referring OR uncaring professionals aren't trying hard enough, ignoring child abuse, appeasing parents.

The emphasis at the moment is keeping families together. Unless the situation is really clear cut - a child discloses sexual abuse or obvious violence to an infant - parents will be offered support and guidance and every effort will be made to keep the child at home. The school had concerns in January or February, this boy was murdered in March - that isn't a huge amount of time for medical investigations, social care investigations, support to be put in place etc.

chocolatespiders Sat 08-Jun-13 15:28:11

I know both my parents are teachers... secondary school though.

It was in the DM report from the court. it said they stopped punishing him for taking food....... But if he was taking from over children s lunch boxes then he would be told off. I didn't read he was taking from other children s lunches I read about him eating cores that other children has discarded sad

Going out now but I will see if I can find it again later.

chocolatespiders Sat 08-Jun-13 15:36:01

There are probably children in his class with worse packed lunches than him.

I agree but what are the underlying reasons for this. Financial or using food as a form of torture/abuse.. one of the text messages shown to court read ‘We will deal with him after school. He won’t see grub at all.’

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 08-Jun-13 15:42:37

In one of the reports it said the parents would force him to vomit after school. So giving him food at school would not have saved him.

It is awful that children can slip through the net in this way despite so many people being involved.

Cloverer Sat 08-Jun-13 15:51:19

How can the teacher know though chocolatespiders?

Mumfun Sat 08-Jun-13 22:53:52

still so upset about this too. the parents are pure evil

nettle1 Sun 09-Jun-13 19:55:55

Sorry, but come on...This poor little child weighed 1.5 stone, there was a failure to thrive, his clothes were hanging off him. He was starving and stealing food....He turned up to school on one occasion with two black eyes and on another occasion with bruise marks around his neck! What more evidence is required of abuse and neglect???!!! This child was let down in the worst way possible by the authorities who should have protected him.

edam Sun 09-Jun-13 23:04:02

Cloverer, I don't think that's fair. People expect SS and doctors and teachers and everyone involved in child protection to have some common sense and relevant professional knowledge. To spot the children in trouble who need saving and to know the difference between them and a perfectly normal family. It's like saying it's unreasonable to expect doctors to know the difference between someone who is ill and someone who is well. Yes, it might take some investigation, yes it might take some research, but that's the basic purpose of the job.

nettle1 Sun 09-Jun-13 23:19:01

I fully agree with edam. These people are employed to protect children. They failed miserably to do so and its so sickening. Its too late to cry over this child now. They should have read the signs. Its unforgivable.

RikeBider Sun 09-Jun-13 23:21:36

I feel for the teachers, I'm sure they feel awful for not doing more. I used to run a daycare room in a Sure Start centre, and work in family support, and I have definitely got things wrong - I've been very concerned about one family only for a court to find nothing amiss. I've also had a child very underfed, thin, bruised, broken bones (lots of innocent explanations) and mum has turned it around - but over the course of 6+ months. Even having all the child protection training in the world it's not always an easy call to make. Luckily have not had a situation go the other way.

nettle1 Sun 09-Jun-13 23:22:46

I fully agree with edam. These people are employed to protect children. They failed miserably to do so and its so sickening. Its too late to cry over this child now. They should have read the signs. Its unforgivable.

So sad. My 8mo already weighs over a stone and ds was 3stone last yr at 4yo. Really hits home to me how skinny that poor little boy must have been.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now