Stockholm burning: Riots grip surburbs as violent trouble spreads

(7 Posts)
musu Fri 24-May-13 20:57:49

This was reported earlier in the week on all of the news programmes I heard (BBC radio).

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Fri 24-May-13 20:45:29
harbinger Fri 24-May-13 20:44:38

I was aware of this but could not find out the reason for the riots. The BBC was very poor.

StuffezLaYoni Fri 24-May-13 20:36:45

Why are the bbc not reporting this on their website?

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Fri 24-May-13 20:35:45

London, not France!

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Fri 24-May-13 20:35:29

It doesn't surprise me. I used to live in Stockholm and the racism and race-related poverty there is grim. As bad as anything in Paris or France.

ElenorRigby Fri 24-May-13 08:13:15

"Huge swathes of Stockholm were in ruins today after a fourth night of rioting left hundreds of cars ablaze and saw mobs attacking police with bricks.

The violence, which began in the immigrant enclave of Husby on Sunday night after police shot an elderly man who threatened them with a machete, has now spread to 15 suburbs.

It has morphed into a protest by largely immigrant demonstrators about underlying racism in Swedish society - and an apparent lack of employment opportunities.

Last night, officers battled desperately to keep the city under control as a police station was set alight and fire services were kept from a major blaze by an angry stone-throwing mob"
Link
Link
Link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now