Unbiased reporting?

(52 Posts)
Madlizzy Thu 23-May-13 18:37:16

Okay, newswise, where will I find the most unbiased reporting? Sick of the mainstream propaganda that we're being fed on a daily basis. Shocked that the BBC and ITV thought it was necessary to show yesterday's bloodbath on the main news.

Moominsarehippos Fri 31-May-13 10:04:52

Could refer to male treatment of females in some parts really.

Boomba Fri 31-May-13 10:02:14

Terrorism definition

the use of violence and intimidation in pursuit of political aims

Moominsarehippos Fri 31-May-13 09:58:22

Its a handy shorthand for 'everybody panic'.

Boomba Fri 31-May-13 09:46:30

That's what I mean though moomin. It's an empty term really I think. As a word, it is really effective in evoking a gut response, without really thinking about the crimes, the criminals and the motives

Moominsarehippos Fri 31-May-13 09:37:30

Can an elected government be labelled terrorists though? I'm thinking Hammas, the Iranian regime...

I'm not smart enough to understand foreign policy - I studied history up to degree level (as part of my degree) and its a tangled web of alliances, nods/winks, and back door agreements.

Was Saddam a terrorist in Kuwait? Who were the terrorists in the Iran/Iraq war? Gadaffi - he wasnt exactly the peoples choice (did they bomb that airline?) Ayatollah Khomeni (not Iranian or Aryan)? American when is blew the Iranian passenger plane out of the sky?

The world's a bloody great big mess.

ommmward Fri 31-May-13 09:25:48

lazyjaney - thank you. Great link!

Boomba Fri 31-May-13 09:23:50

But, Britain entered an illegal war....doesn't that then make out army/government 'terrorists'?

Moominsarehippos Fri 31-May-13 09:09:03

I suppose terrorist acts are an act aimed at the state/government, or those where the person carrying out the attack makes statements/videos saying that they are.

Hate crime is an attack because of some mad hatred against a person for what/who they are.

Sadly there are too many conspiracy theorists out there. I am waiting for someone to say that the murder last week of the soldier was a british government set up, and the murderer was a british agent and it was all to stir up racist sentiment.

The murder last week was a hate crime, dressed by the murderer as a terror crime. He stated why he/they did it. In his garbled brain anyway.

And there have been/are plenty of 'white' terrorist groups. Ever heard of the IRA, Bader Meinhof, Army of God...

NicholasTeakozy Fri 31-May-13 07:12:35

Boston suspect 'executed' by the FBI. According to various reports from my Facebook news feed this unarmed man was questioned for 8 hours then shot in cold blood. No British news broadcaster carried this despite their blanket coverage of the bombing and subsequent manhunt.

What GoshAnne says is right, white people commit murder not terrorist acts.

Nowadays I try to get news from several sources, including the swivel-eyed conspiracy theorists, so I can cross check and decide for myself.

GoshAnneGorilla Fri 31-May-13 04:07:02

Pan - if it's brown people doing a crime - it's terrorism.

If it's white people - it's murder.

Hence Marwa El Sherbini's murderer wasn't described as a terrorist and Anders Brehvik often isn't either.

Pan Thu 30-May-13 22:53:57

Yes, we've a massive increase in Hate Crimes against the Jewish community in recent years....

Lee Rigby's horrible death cues the control freaks to clamp down on other people's freedoms - hence re-igniting discussions about email and telephone recordings.
An old friend of mine asked last week IF she could talk about being of the opinion that it's all an opportunism for reactionary types. She is an intelligent, aware person but felt constrained in talking about this stuff with family and other friends.

Boomba Thu 30-May-13 22:48:22

Pan yes really. Im not sure I even really know what 'terror attack' is any more......

It was a murder. A hate crime. Same motivation as the Grandad stabbed on his way home from Masjid

Pan Thu 30-May-13 22:43:50

and really, who still believes the murder last week deserves the blanket, swivel-eye'd, 'terrorist' reaction we have been subjected to?

Pan Thu 30-May-13 22:36:58

Second NT's Al-Jezeera comment. Even CNN have a different take.

Also try Fox News for some really weird idea what is actually going on.

To balance Fox, but in a worrying similar presentation, try the daily mash You will laugh your socks off, though in a different way to how you would do with Fox.

Boomba Thu 30-May-13 22:25:46

Im glad i found this thread

Have been feeling really frustrated and cross about this recently

I started a thread today about the American soldier who attacked 2 villages and killed 16 people, mostly women and children. Horrific. 1 man lost his mum and 2 year old daughter. I just got a few biscuits and cross faces for wrongly saying the soldier was British

I really really think, a lot of people in the UK, dont value non-white British life. Not on the same level, at all

Interesting links mini thanks

Moominsarehippos Thu 30-May-13 14:59:06

I heard about the elderly asian man beinm stabbed, just as I heard about the church organist being murdered at new year (or christmas). Senseless crimes are a daily occurrance sadly, crimes categorised as 'terrorism' are more rare (especially a man being hacked to death in broad daylight with the murderers bragging/encouraging people to film it).

boxershorts Thu 30-May-13 14:45:52

suprised to hear the BBC bought there street murder story off the sun. And BBC/ITN can use each others stories by agreement. (Medi prog Radio 4 wed 4.30pm)

boxershorts Thu 30-May-13 14:42:36

Probably no such thing as unbiased reporting. Maybe |Private Eye who do it in jokes.

NiceTabard Tue 28-May-13 23:33:10

I hate the hierarchy of victims / attackers that the press use.

It is distorting and frankly just wrong.

But like I say they are there to sell, so they choose their stories accordingly.

Freedom of the press is a total misnomer, red herring, wrong thing isn't it? Press freedom means they write what their readers want to hear, they pick and choose what they cover accordingly. Nothing more, nothing less. The BBC is supposed to be different, but, hmm, not seeing it lately.

NiceTabard Tue 28-May-13 23:29:43

The report I saw said a racial attack was a strong line of enquiry and they are looking for at least one white man late 20s/early 30s.

Unless you have another reason that you think a pensioner using a walking stick was stabbed to death on their way home from prayers? That the police haven't mentioned? Possible gang links, are you thinking? <rubs chin>

Not seeing it.

claig Tue 28-May-13 22:55:52

'On the topic of this story, there was a facebook thing about an elderly asian man who got viciously attacked in the UK by white men in a suspected racially motivated attack, before the murder of the soldier. Was that headline news? was it in the news at all? Nope.'

NiceTabard, according to those newspaper reports there is no evidence that it was a racist attack or that white men were involved as far as I can see. That is probably why it was not headline news. Had it been a racist attack for certain, then I think it would have received greater coverage.

NiceTabard Tue 28-May-13 22:32:21

I suppose my point is that facebook was the first I heard of that story, and I watch a reasonable amount of news for a standard person.

That bothers me. TBH. I know they have to pick and choose but so much seems so off at the mo even with the BBC and they are supposed to be unbiased.

NiceTabard Tue 28-May-13 22:29:15

Well,

I watch the news on the BBC & newsnight & channel 4 every day

And I definitely didn't recognise the story, while the soldier one was all over the news immediately.

It's to do with some kind of hierarchy in the press, and I think that is something i can't get the hang of, and what I think the op was getting at

edam Tue 28-May-13 22:15:48

See here and here and here.

It was widely reported - someone started the Facebook thing after the soldier's killing, presumably to try to deflect any anti-Islam attitudes.

I think the lesson is, don't believe anything you read on Facebook without checking.

edam Tue 28-May-13 22:12:27

It happened before the attack on the soldier and was reported before the attack on the soldier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now