Something bad happens and suddenly all these racist remarks on facebook

(90 Posts)
lottieandmia Wed 22-May-13 20:25:14

I feel terrible about what happened to that poor soldier. I was so shocked when I heard about it on the radio.

But why do people immediately start posting racist status updates starting with 'I'm not racist, I'm not against immigration' and then posting videos entitled 'Islamic infiltration in the UK'

I am going to get into rows with people over this and probably should delete my account.

Why do people think this type of terrorism has anything to do with Islam and why do people think we should start 'weeding out' people who do this. Terrorists don't even have to be residents of a country to carry out an attack.

lottieandmia Thu 30-May-13 16:18:42

NanaNina - I completely agree with your posts.

NanaNina Thu 30-May-13 12:43:38

I find it scarey that there are so many racists out there and they crawl out of the woodwork at the first opportunity. I believe that some of the police are still racist. I saw on the news a young black man in a jewellers shop suddenly being pounced on by a huge copper, and he had him in a headlock in seconds, and then about 4 other beefy coppers piled in on him. It was very clear to see on CCTV, and guess what, there were no charges bought. The bloke was actually trying to buy a Valentine gift for his girlfriend, but in the copper's mind - black guy in a jewellers shop - must be on the rob!! The number of "stop and searches" of black and Asian blokes still considerably outnumbers those of white people.

Thing is, so many people read the tabloids and the DM of course and they are full of right wing reactionary shit, and because it's in the paper, people believe it has to be true.

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 30-May-13 08:11:22

Just deleted my best friends husband. A week of ridiculous posts culminating with a 'piss off we're full' and linking a BNP thing. I don't want to see it any more.

NanaNina Wed 29-May-13 14:12:58

Same here. My nephew has been posting racist crap on FB and I am ashamed and embarassed, but I have just been ignoring it in the hope that if I don't comment, no one else on my FB will see his comments. Not sure if that's how it works, but I thought I could only see "friends of friends" if they were in a conversation, but I gather it depends on privacy settings.

I so agree that there are racists out there, on the alert and ready to "jump in" with racist comments at every opportunity. UKIP try to hide their racism but as far as I'm concerned they are fascists in suits.

Of course I deplore what happened to the soldier, but it would have been terrible had it been anyone and there would not been nearly so much coverage in that case. I agree with smokesinaces - many people just don't seem to realise that hundreds of ordinary citizens (including children) have been killed in the US/UK war in Iraq and Afghanistan. They use drones, and other sophisticated equipment to kill the enemy and ok that's what war is about, but when innocent people get killed, that is just bad luck. I am actually surprised that there hasn't been more of a backlash here, given the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Blair took us into the war in Iraq on a false premise (or a lie) he knew damn well there were no "weapons of mass destruction" - he just wanted to join forces with Bush. The only politicians who were principled enough to stand up to him were the late Robin Cook and Claire Short. The others said nothing.

I suspect that the 2 blokes in this attack were just a couple of over zealous "loose cannons" as the plan did not seem to be sophisticated in any way. I can only assume that by waiting for the police to arrive they were akin to "suicide bombers" - and wanted to be imprisoned for life for the sake of Allah. Of course it was nonsense to talk about people being killed in "our land" as this is their land, but I think they were just trying to draw attention to the fact that innocent people were being killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. I think Cameron has his sights set on Iran too, though does not dare to take them on, and it won't be long I fear before Europe is involved with the civil war in Syria. It's all about the oil isn't it.

thenightsky Tue 28-May-13 22:34:59

Oh God... I'm currently in a verbal war with a 26 year old mate of DD's. She's linking to the DM on FB. Its getting messy.

I am happy to report that after my deleting frenzy last night, most posts are in support of troops but no outright racism anymore.

Am hiding all fuckwit family. If I can't see it then I can ignore them.

lottieandmia Thu 23-May-13 09:32:26

And so it goes on. It's similar to those 'If our flag offends you pack your bags and leave' stupid pages.

I can't believe people think like this. However, I grew up in a family who made ignorant comments. As I grew up I could see they were wrong. I think though, that having challenged my mum on points like this for years now, she seems to have come around to my way of thinking.

Dawndonna Thu 23-May-13 08:54:02
KingRollo Thu 23-May-13 08:43:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sheshelob Thu 23-May-13 08:28:06

Some of the filth that people are posting on FB is gobsmacking.

There is something about this attack that reminds me of the mentally ill man who decapitated the pensioner in Tenerife because he thought he was Jesus Christ. Calling the Woolwich attack terrorism just doesn't ring true with the evidence that we have so far.

KRITIQ Thu 23-May-13 08:26:56

Nailak and Mini - when I was growing up in the US in the 70's and early 80's, many Irish Americans identified with and some even financially supported Irish Republican causes. (Anyone remember NORAID?) Most were 2nd or even 3rd, 4th or 5th generation immigrants to the US, but felt no conflict in their dual identity and dual loyalty. Happens.

MiniTheMinx Thu 23-May-13 08:15:57

Un-friended two bigots last night. I had no idea that either of them were nationalist and racist.

nailak "So although for all intents and purposes they are from London, they can still identify with war torn countries"

YY

Lottie, I think you must have the same friends as me as I am now seeing all the Australia crap.

lottieandmia Thu 23-May-13 01:59:01

'I think sadly there are alot of folks out there who do harbour racist, islamaphobic and other bigoted views, even if they don't broadcast the fact all the time. They are on the "alert" for examples that support their views because these give them a sort of "permission" to be more candid in talking about what they believe.'

So true - you've hit the nail on the head there.

KRITIQ Thu 23-May-13 01:37:35

I'm so glad I don't have Facebook. I don't want to know that my second cousin's husband more a colleague I worked with 3 jobs ago is a racist arse. I don't think my blood pressure could take it.

I think sadly there are alot of folks out there who do harbour racist, islamaphobic and other bigoted views, even if they don't broadcast the fact all the time. They are on the "alert" for examples that support their views because these give them a sort of "permission" to be more candid in talking about what they believe. I certainly don't believe that today, thousands of folks suddenly turned into bigots because of one (albeit terrible) murder. The incident has simply flushed them out from their cover and because they are hearing/seeing so many voices that concur with theirs, they feel more emboldened in their bigotry.

Having said that, I manage the works Twitter feed and have been heartened that so many folks are prepared to call out the ridiculous and biased reporting from some mainstream media and calling for solidarity with and amongst Muslims and people of colour. Okay, maybe we follow people whose knuckles don't drag the ground (so to speak,) but I also don't think we can completely take a gauge of public opinion just based on the tiny proportion of the population who use social media.

Barbarashop Thu 23-May-13 01:32:26

Ahhhh - can't do it!!!

Barbarashop Thu 23-May-13 01:32:10

http://youtu.be/RxvWGROpjEs

Barbarashop Thu 23-May-13 01:31:21

Link failure - I can't work it out bUt search youtube for: Islam against terrorism "to a suicide bomber"

nailak Thu 23-May-13 01:27:38

link dont work ^^

Barbarashop Thu 23-May-13 01:27:11

I've posted this on my Facebook page:
www.youtu.be/RxvWGROpjEs

lottieandmia Thu 23-May-13 01:21:31

One of the haters on my page did a bit of a U turn status after what I posted.

Another is banging on about we should take a leaf out of Australia's book. They can speak for themselves!!

nailak Thu 23-May-13 00:45:05

the thing is it is our country, until people start telling us otherwise, then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy is you see what i mean, even on mumsnet, in every single one of these threads, i have to say hold on this is our country, what you mean muslims should go somewhere else if they dont like it etc, i have had people telling me if i wear scarf i am seperating myself from society etc, so some people feel allegiance to two countries, is not a big deal.

Nailak I said that was my thought due to his accent. He was saying how he apologises for women seeing it here but women see it in his country. This is his country. I have used this on FB when people have been saying send immigrants back home etc that he is in fact home.

He killed an innocent man and that's his excuse?! His reasoning is it happens in a another country? He might use religion as an excuse as well but no. He is an evil man no matter where he is from or what religion he believes.

Pan Thu 23-May-13 00:08:41

Well that's utter bollocks feeltheforce - those people short of thinking skills will see your sense, and insist other muslims make statements, when thier own good sense should make the need for those 'statements' irrelevant.

feeltheforce Thu 23-May-13 00:00:30

Re OP - this type of terrorism has EVERYTHING to do with Islamism I'm afraid. It's a political ideology based on faith and provoked by a clash with western values. Doesn't make every muslim a terrorist anymore than every Catholic supported the IRA. However, when that group don't show their strong opposition to what is done in their name then all are tarred with same brush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now