Get the feeling Charles pushing Camilla as Queen?

(173 Posts)
bkgirl Wed 08-May-13 15:10:47

Fine, the Queen is elderly and needs to cut back.
Fine, Charles is stepping up.
Fine, Charles is with Camilla.
However, I feel he is pushing Camilla on to us as queen and frankly with the history of the whole thing....it's just not on. Diana was far from perfect (who is) but C&C manipulation of her, from the train carriage just before the wedding to the phonecalls from Britannia during the honeymoon - no. They used her for breeding and I just think to let Camilla become Charles Queen would make a lot of people who are quite royalist lose faith. I really think that's why the poor queen has hung on so long. She is wise. Thank goodness for William and Kate.

Camilla could be some sort of consort but nothing more. Frankly I do not trust Charles at all on this.

KittenofDoom Thu 09-May-13 00:41:44

Assuming both Charles and Camilla outlive the Queen, Camilla will be Queen. (Queen Consort as opposed to Queen Regnant, obviously.).

If they wanted to create the title of Princess Consort (which currently doesn't exist), there was ample opportunity with the current legislation going through re female heirs and marriage to Catholics. They haven't taken that opportunity, so that says it all really.

Snazzynewyear Thu 09-May-13 00:48:15

I am not sure Camilla herself is too keen on the idea anymore. There was a newspaper article or two a few years ago saying she and Charles actually lived mostly separate lives now, with her spending lots of time with her own kids and grandchildren. She doesn't much like royal life and does some stuff to stave off overt moaning about soaking up taxpayers' money but the romance of it all had allegedly gone very much off the boil. Be careful what you wish for, I guess.

Morloth Thu 09-May-13 02:20:41

Does it matter?

What, when you get right down to it is the British Monarchy actually for other than entertainment?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 09-May-13 02:35:46

Snazzy I don't believe that for a minute. I'm sure she does see a lot of her own family, but anyone can see that she and Charles are very happy together. That will be some kind of crazed Diana-worshipper having written that wink

Camilla will be Queen, and so she should be. William has actually paved the way by marrying Kate rather than a member of the aristocracy.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 09-May-13 06:18:15

I suppose some small-minded & petty people can never get past the idea that Camilla is the 'OW' but what's that phrase 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'? The divorce rate in the UK demonstrates that many are not still with the first person they married for one reason or another. Plenty of second-time-around spouses will have been OM and OWs at some point. Why hold royalty up to a standard that is unrealistic?

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Thu 09-May-13 06:29:59

Don't care about Camilla one jot... I just don't want Charles to be King! (I irrationally dislike him)

King Harry all the way. grinwink

scaevola Thu 09-May-13 06:35:36

You don't need to legislate to create the titles or styles for the consort, as they are within the gift of the monarch.

Camilla was only one of PoW's OW, btw. The airbrushing out of the other shows how 'managed' the campaign against her was at one time.

twooter Thu 09-May-13 06:55:54

If they hadn't used her for breeding, Andrew would be king after Charles, and I don't think anyone wants that, do they!

I like camilla, I feel sorry for Charles, who was forced into the position of finding somebody 'who'd do'.

And realistically, I can't imagine Diana would have been happy staying married to Charles if there was no Camilla, so though I'm sure she had some shit years, she also had a get - out whereby she wasn't labelled a slut (cf fergie).

tribpot Thu 09-May-13 06:58:15

Whilst people might be divided on the idea of Queen Camilla I think we can all agree Queen Fergie would not have been good for the nation!

BranchingOut Thu 09-May-13 07:03:21

I actually think that Fergie was very poorly treated by the Royals.

I only recently realised that she was actually officially separated from Andrew at the time of the financial advisor/toe incident.

How is that any worse than the behaviour of the other royals in their marriage breakdowns?

RubyOnRails Thu 09-May-13 07:46:24

...because they were still technically married?

plus there's not more submissive than a toe job....gads

twooter Thu 09-May-13 08:39:47

Was the toe incident the first one? Didnt she have two dalliances? I agree the royals didnt treat her nicely - not letting her have Xmas with her children for instance. But then, how many families do get on well with the ex, especially where OM/OW are involved?

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 09-May-13 08:44:04

Do some of you read the Daily Express?

Dana and Charles got divorced, Charles is remarried. When he is king she should be queen. Monarch is an anachronism anyway, so why get het up about what Camilla is called. It is usual for the wife of a king to be called queen. No need to change things because of a spectre of a dead princess.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 09-May-13 08:45:50

Monarchy
Diana

KittenofDoom Thu 09-May-13 12:00:00

scaevola What I should have said was that it would take legislation to prevent Camilla (or any other female consort) from becoming Queen on her husband's accession. The BRF doesn't do morganatic marriage. So she would be Queen whether the Diana nutjobs people like it or not, just as she is now Princess of Wales.

seeker Thu 09-May-13 12:02:40

"To let Camilla become Charles Queen would make a lot of people who are quite royalist lose faith."

Would it?

LONG LIVE QUEEN CAMILLA!!!!!

Weegiemum Thu 09-May-13 12:08:36

Personally, when the Queen dies I'd get rid of the lot of them.

<hummff>

Pootles2010 Thu 09-May-13 12:09:20

Am i being really thick? Why would she be queen? Phillip's not king is he? So wouldn't Camilla just be Princess?

seeker Thu 09-May-13 12:11:11

LONG LIVE QUEEN CAMILLA!!!!!

KittenofDoom Thu 09-May-13 12:12:42

Pootles Don't you remember Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother)?

seeker Thu 09-May-13 12:14:01

I don't think she was queen Elizabeth when she was married to the king, was she? I thought it was a courtesy title.

TheSlug Thu 09-May-13 12:20:27

pootles The King's wife is always the Queen. Not so the other way around though!

KittenofDoom Thu 09-May-13 12:20:57

In the UK the wife of the King is always called Queen. She is a queen consort, not a queen regnant. Surely you people have heard of Queen Mary? Queen Alexandra? Queen Charlotte (Helen Mirren in The Madness of King George)? shock

Men don't get the same deal. Queen victoria wanted to make Albert the King Consort, but the politicians didn't think it a good idea.

Jux Thu 09-May-13 12:21:01

I'd be delighted if Camilla became Queen; far more so than if D had.

I;m not the only person in the UK who thinks like that either. Have no idea whether we're in the minority or not, but D died a long time ago and you have to move on. If you had known her personally, you would be over it by now and not begrudging Charles a happy life.

Camilla is his wife, and therefore should become Queen.

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 09-May-13 12:21:17

Anyone got a spare grip please? OP has lost hers completely.

I'm royalist but couldn't give two farts if camilla is queen. She's his wife, not queen like Elizabeth per se. If he died Wills takes over.

Liz is queen because the role description says 'do til die'. It's quite clear. I don't feel abdication is an option for her.

For someone who seems quite het up about nothing, why do u seem oblivious to these very simple but glaringly obvious items?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now