50 things to do before you die.

(91 Posts)
exoticfruits Tue 07-May-13 09:53:15

In the Times today-a list of things to do before you die-compiled by a survey. I can't say that I agree with them all but I have done more than 30 and have some still to do and some I have no desire to do.
How many have you done?
Would you add anything?

1 Stop worrying about money
2 . . . and about what other people think
3 Take two holidays a year
4 Enjoy the little comforts in life
5 Experience different cultures
6 Work to live, rather than live to work
7 Pay off all debts
8 Be true to yourself
9 Concentrate on what you have, rather than what you don’t have
10 Use money on experiences rather than saving for a rainy day
11 Make time for family and friends
12 Try all types of food
13 Find true love
14 Visit at least 25 different countries
15 Go outside more
16 Learn a new language
17 Be well thought of by family
18 Help a member of your family out when they really need it
19 Lose a stone in weight
20 Treat each day like it’s your last
21 Visit all of Britain’s historical landmarks
22 Book an impulsive holiday
23 Volunteer for a good cause
24 Take up a challenge
25 Go on safari
26 Blow a load of money in one shopping trip, just because you can
27 Learn a new instrument
28 Be married for longer than 20 years
29 Leave money for the grandchildren
30 Start a family
31 Earn more than your age
32 Have a pet
33 Drive a really fast car
34 Travel alone
35 Be able to keep the kids on the straight and narrow
36 Meet strangers
37 Move away from home to an unfamiliar place
38 Have a one-night stand
39 Pass your driving test
40 Get a degree
41 Rescue someone
42 Date someone exciting but completely wrong for you
43 Get a promotion
44 Reach desired career peak by 40
45 Have an all-night drinking session
46 Perform something on stage in front of others
47 Snog a stranger
48 Plan a surprise party
49 Try an adrenaline-packed activity such as sky-diving
50 Spend time with children, even if they aren’t yours

Hmm, well yes possibly am a little addicted to the place, but there are worse things I could be doing I guess.
At least it's interacting with someone, and a lot of good folks here, and have learnt a lot from them in different ways.
Anyway, as you say, much to be thankful for.

Xenia Thu 09-May-13 15:58:00

Gosh what a typo or Freudian slip.... I meant internal contentment.

Mind you internet posting and computer games all work on the same bit of the brain and plenty of addictive personalities get into its grip. I think it attacks or pleasures the pleasure centres.

The island (it does exist) is just a metaphor - meaning women can pick what is important to them and seize the day and achieve their aims.

Wondered if you meant to include "internet contentment" Xenia ?!

Though achieving internet contentment has added greatly to the sum of my happiness in recent years too - especially on this place grin

I've been lucky too, especially to have my two DDCs.
I've never owned an island, except I'm thinking now, in childhood - when my granny had a hut on Mersea Island, and we enjoyed many summer days on the beach there and playing around the hut.
You kinda own the whole world as a child don't you ? smile

Xenia Thu 09-May-13 15:28:23

Most of all to achieve health and happiness, internet contentment - those inside issues are 1000 times more important to me that any of the external stuff. If people put as much effort into their psyche as they do into pointless consumerism and "experiences" they would be a lot happier.

Giving birth. A good career. Breastfeeding. Having a large family. Buying an island. I planned all that in my teens and I did it. Having a nice big house was good too. I always wanted to do a lot of singing and that has happened as well. I have been so very very lucky so far in so many ways.

Above all do good.

IamMrsElf Thu 09-May-13 12:46:13

I like the 'fuck it' list, makes a lot more sense.

Isn't it important to think about how you, the individual, want to live your life - and then just get on and do it?! Probably better to be doing it than sitting around in your office thinking about it.

I want to limit the amount of regrets I have on my death bed.

Off to enjoy a bit more living...

BeCool Thu 09-May-13 11:19:54

oh how I hate these 'bucket lists'! Big YAWN!!!
When I was younger I used to want to do it all - now I'm a little older and more mature (crikey) I totally think these lists are fraught with "issues" - insecurities, money focused, materialistic, snobby, self important kind of issues. Yes the media LOVE them, but I don't.

And I know I cannot see or do it all, nor do I want to.

I'm more inclined to agree with this commentator and have a 'fuck it' list!

DadOnIce Thu 09-May-13 10:56:17

Why career peak at 40? Seems rather under-ambitious for the remaining 25 (at least) years of your working life.

Reckon I'll save the opiates for when I really need them - when hopefully they'll be prescribed liberally and I can go into the next life as high as a kite ready for the party ! (Or a long rest will do me just fine too) Am sorry you lost friends too young. I have too, but due to fast cars not drugs (with possible exception of alcohol I don't know)

eccentrica Wed 08-May-13 23:57:04

juggling I have always steered clear of opiates and morphine, lost too many friends that way.

MDMA is a different kettle of fish smile

Rockinhippy Wed 08-May-13 23:37:48

Or 130 on a Virago down the Westway at 3am in the morning - post clubbing in a mini dress & thigh boots - lol - that beats any fast car for me smile

VerySmallSqueak Wed 08-May-13 23:27:24

Yes,I have to say Braw that if I hadn't paid the gas bill,it wouldn't figure highly in my list of regrets when on my death bed!

BrawToken Wed 08-May-13 23:24:01

Stupid list. Be debt free :D :D

I was invited into an opium den in a village in northern Thailand (well a tent where people were smoking the stuff if that's the same thing ?) - I declined and do not regret it.
I stuck to interesting substances which I was a little more familiar with instead.

eccentrica Wed 08-May-13 23:15:05

juggling I've never seen anything that suggests we're not! It's my genuine response to "things I am glad I have done in my life and would not want to die without experiencing". Not so sure about driving fast cars...

YY Rockinhippy to a fast bike down a windy hill, or maybe ski-ing down a mountain, or roller-skating as a kid down a nearly too steep hill grin
- more than fast cars, though my friend did have a nice open top sports car which we used to drive down to the beach in - that was alright smile
What's 21 again ? Nearly impossible ? < goes back to check list >
Ah yes, all of Britain's historical landmarks ... could take a while that one !

Rockinhippy Wed 08-May-13 23:13:26

I'd like to see a larger survey and see how the "thing to do before you die" change with age

Me too, you can start to spot the likely answers though, but yes, that would be more interesting to me too

Why is 'have sex with George Clooney' not on that list

golfyc Wed 08-May-13 23:03:28

Think that its probably just better to try and be a decent human being and enjoy yourself - however that probably means someone will just make another ruddy list!

Rockinhippy Wed 08-May-13 22:57:44

I agree its a rubbish list, but I'm quite shocked to see that I've actually done most of themshock

Though losing more than a stone was down to ill health, not needing to - does that countgrin & being well though of by family is never going to happen, because so long as I know my intentions are good, I really don't care what others think, which just doesn't work with a narc DM

21 is probably impossible & fast cars don't interest me, so a fast bike will have to do & I've a way to go with a 20 yr marriage & grand DCs

Rubbish list, agree too money driven & contradictory

b4bunnies Wed 08-May-13 22:01:12

oh, i thought you were just asking what i wanted to do before i die...
i was just going to write 'tidy up' fifty times.

curryeater Wed 08-May-13 21:55:36

Good answer, Crashdoll. Someone was burbling the other day about a narrow squeak making them want to live life to the full, ie, doing a load of attention -seeking, expensive, midlife crisis type things. But I just want to live THIS life to the full. The one I have with my two little girls at home and devoted to me, my lovely dp, our pretty little town, my fun job, books to read, music to play, trees to look at, friends to see. It's the good stuff right now.

crashdoll Wed 08-May-13 21:46:22

Another one who hates those bucket lists. I've had a difficult life (not trying to be woe is me,it is what it is) and all I want is to be content in life with whatever I have. I spent a lot of time trying to be cleverer, thinner and just generally trying to be perfect. It made me desperately unhappy. There's always something better to aspire to; a better degree classification or a bigger first home (or any first home actually!) but I want to be content with what I have now, rather than constantly peering into the future and wishing I had more. What I have is good enough for me right now.

(I've clearly had far too much therapy!)

Minimammoth Wed 08-May-13 20:45:34

Personally I would like to achieve a non 'doing' thing. To find peace within myself.

thermalsinapril Wed 08-May-13 19:48:26

"Things to do before the end of the day" would be more useful!

Each day has enough of its own to be getting on with smile

catgirl1976 Wed 08-May-13 19:47:27

Whenever I lists entitled "Things to do before you die" I am always surprised that "Shout for help" is not the top answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now