Missing women found in Ohio

(151 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 07-May-13 06:29:30

article

When the story of Natasha Kampusch broke in 2006 it seemed like a bizarre one-off. Since then we've heard about Jaycee Dugard and one or two others. Now three more missing women (possibly more) have been found at a place in Ohio seemingly having been held captive for many years. Good conclusion to a tragic story and makes you wonder if there's anyone in the UK, written off as missing, but being similarly held against their will. Thinking about the case of Claudia Lawrence, for example.

Booyhoo Tue 07-May-13 16:31:59

jemima i think i saw a documentary about that same woman. she recounted teh whole story start to finish and yes, she was absoloutely convinced it was all part of a massive conspiracy and that there were people belonging to the organisation (cant remember the name he told her it was called) everywhere and if she tried to tell anyone she would be killed. she was 'permitted' to work and went into the local town for her job but was too terrified to speak to anyone. AFAIK the guy even brought her back to her family for a visit and she had to pretend he was her fiance and that everything was fine but one of her cousins ( i think) sussed something wasn't right/ cant remember how she got away in the end.

phantomnamechanger Tue 07-May-13 18:45:54

what a horrendous story. A good outcome, ie escape, but how do these poor women and their families adjust to normal life again. How in all that time did these men (one was a school bus driver shock) keep up their huge secret so that noone outside knew anything about these women? Never accidentally mentioned a name, nothing? How do people who "knew" those men feel now? Poor neighbours - imagine finding out that had been going on under your nose! In a way, its actually a good thing there is more than one victim here, as presumably they will remain in contact and be good support to each other. Or would you cut all ties?

And yes, it must give hope to others with missing loved ones. What a choice though - to hope your loved one is holed up in a scenario like this, rather than dead sad

Pixel Tue 07-May-13 19:13:00

cogito yes, i have watched a few programmes about women (it's always girls and women isn't it ) who have been held captive and i've found myself thinking, "the door is open, just go" but it becomes really clear that it isn't just physical restraints holding them there. those poor girls.

You don't know what they've been told though do you? I seem to remember Jaycee Lee Dugard was told that her family would be killed if she tried to escape. She was only 11 and had no reason not to believe someone who'd already kidnapped and raped her. She knew that he knew where they all lived.

scaevola Tue 07-May-13 19:19:16

Has it been confirmed that the child found at the premises (or escaped at the same time) is Amanda Berry's daughter? It was being widely reported earlier that she is, but they were 'unconfirmed reports' (I really do despair of news standards sometimes).

I hope this does bring hope to the families and friends of those who have gone missing especially in suspicious circumstances.

GibberTheMonkey Tue 07-May-13 19:24:24

There are photos of Amanda with her sister with her arm around a younger child. I had assumed because of this that the reports were true but I do know what assumptions can lead to

suburbophobe Tue 07-May-13 19:27:03

It's almost unbelievable, it's so bizarre. Those poor women, being held for 10! years or more....

It reminds me (a.o) of that German woman who was kept in a cellar by her father and had numerous children by him. I remember thinking, also with Natasha Kampusch, how many more..? shock

I do think the operator was rather insensitive, but I got the impression he didn't know who she was by her name (that she was missing) and just rattled of his spiel of "Police, Ambulance or Fire Brigade". They must get hoax calls....

Also thinking of Madeleine McCann's parents now, how they are experiencing this news.

Who is Claudia Lawrence?

Moln Tue 07-May-13 19:40:58

it was Austria wasn't where the daughter was held for over 20 years and raped by her father. Unless there's also a German one too.

It's hard to comprehend isn't it the psychological damage this will cause to the women. also disturbing to think how many others are being held, and where - next door possibly?

tribpot Tue 07-May-13 19:45:33
Booyhoo Tue 07-May-13 19:47:11

"You don't know what they've been told though do you? "

that was my point.

Booyhoo Tue 07-May-13 19:51:02

yes josef fritzel held his daughter for 24 years in a cellar in austria and fathered several children with her.

Booyhoo Tue 07-May-13 19:54:59
Pixel Tue 07-May-13 20:32:46

Oh I know Booey, I wasn't disagreeing with you smile.

edam Tue 07-May-13 20:38:32

I'm glad they are safe but good grief, how many more cases of this kind are there going to be? Astounding.

Booyhoo Tue 07-May-13 20:40:54

ah sorry pixel, i thought you were explaining why they couldn't escape in the way i was suggesting "just open the door" and had just missed the next bit of my post! blush

Booyhoo Tue 07-May-13 20:44:12

sadly edam i think certain types of people will always take/hold captive children/young women for their own evil plans. the only hope is that police/investigaters get better and better at tracing missing people and can reunite them with their families far sooner in future.

Moln Tue 07-May-13 21:01:29

I think there was a case in Japan too, a school girl kept barely any distance from her parents house

edam Tue 07-May-13 21:08:41

I've just seen he drove a school bus. Horrible that someone who is trusted with the welfare of children could be so evil.

BriansBrain Tue 07-May-13 21:10:01

I've only just heard about this and I'm shock those poor women and children.

I haven't listened to the emergency call but the person who asks "police, fire or ambulance" can do no more than put the call through to the correct emergency dispatcher and without any delay. Some times it's easier to drown out the screaming, panic and extra words to just hear the word you are looking for to be able to help? A dispatcher is trained in calming and empathy though.

suburbophobe Tue 07-May-13 21:10:55

Oh yes, it was Austria. the Fritzl case <shudder>

I wonder how you ever get over something like that...if you even do.

Thanks for the Claudia Lawrence link, gonna read it now.

suburbophobe Tue 07-May-13 21:13:15

Oh god, yes, I remember her, the chef that disappeared.

Poor woman, poor family.........

KitKatShoes Tue 07-May-13 21:32:19

Same as people don't tell about physical/sexual abuse in a way - you think all they have to do is tell a teacher/parent/aunt etc but it is the psychological hold the abuser has. They groom and control them.

Snazzynewyear Tue 07-May-13 22:13:14

It has been confirmed now that the six year old is Amanda Berry's daughter. The photo of Amanda, her sister and (blurred out) the young girl at the hospital is very moving.

What a brave woman Amanda Berry is. She handled the 911 call much better than the operator did for her in return; she knew the important thing was to get the police and quickly.

KittenofDoom Tue 07-May-13 22:16:07

Where was she phoning from? What about the neighbour who helped her, couldn't he have taken her somewhere safe?

Booyhoo Tue 07-May-13 22:33:16

i think the neighbour brought her either to his house or another neighbours house to phone teh police. not sure though. she probably was safe with her neighbour but the 911 operator didn't bother to ask her that.

Booyhoo Tue 07-May-13 22:38:17

i've just watched the news clip again and the neighbour says he brought her to his house and she phoned the police.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now