Speedboat accident in Padstow

(243 Posts)

I don't know if the mother was a MNer, but I am hoping she pulls through with her other DCs and so sorry to hear she lost her husband and daughter, Emily. I know words are useless, but I am thinking of them. It's all so sad and awful. sad

expatinscotland Wed 08-May-13 09:34:44

I hope the rest of the family pulls through, but the horror of that day will haunt them forever sad.

janey68 Wed 08-May-13 09:36:18

Oh I'm absolutely sure they didn't set out with the intention of anyone gettng killed or injured. But the fact remains that many people feel there should be legislation around this type of craft... It can be just as lethal as a car or plane and you can't just hop in either of those and set off. It doesn't diminish the fact this is an awful tragedy for the family, I think that goes without saying.

edam Wed 08-May-13 09:48:18

Of course we all feel desperately sorry for the family - it's an horrendous tragedy. But if it was caused by lack of use of the kill cord, that's appalling and highly irresponsible - tragically. People should be made to take a course and gain a qualification before they can use any powered craft.

My Dad sails. He took his Yachmaster's. It's what you DO. It's common sense! (On his 'test' - dunno what the proper term is - his instructor had a heart attack. My Dad had to sail the boat back into harbour while liaising with the emergency services - we all teased him that because his instructor wasn't really paying attention, he's not actually fully qualified. Obv. had the instructor died we really wouldn't be joking about it!)

BlueSkySunnyDay Wed 08-May-13 09:50:00

I think everyone appreciates that this is an awful thing to happen and send our sympathies to the family. We dont know how it happened so obviously cannot assume it was negligence rather than a fault, apart from which this isnt really the time for it is it?

But as this has happened at the beginning of the summer season it is worth discussing what should be done to be safe - even if only one person listens it could save an unnecessary accident from happening.

I would imagine the same kind of people are drawn to motor boats as sports cars - focussed on the speed and the thrill of the thing...safety? "Pah, it wont happen to me" I've heard friends say it.

Xenia Wed 08-May-13 09:57:45

Very very sad. Presumably they were swimming very close together which meant so many of them were hit. I hope he did follow safety rules, have the kill cord etc.

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 08-May-13 10:12:49

Heartbreaking poor poor family so tragic. Must have been awful for people watching it happening feeling helpless very brave of the 2 boat men's to do what they did before more people were injured.

gazzalw Wed 08-May-13 10:13:43

It is a horrid, horrid tragedy. I cannot imagine how it will be for the mother, with her own life-changing injuries, to have to support three children, one of whom also has the same type of injuries, and cope with grieving the loss of her husband and a daughter. :-( sad.

My thoughts are with the surviving family members...

specialsubject Wed 08-May-13 10:15:01

all accidents need to be investigated so that the chance of a repetition can be reduced.

IF this was a 'didn't use the killcord' situation, then perhaps it will make those who don't realise that what they were taught is true.

Tingalingle Wed 08-May-13 10:26:00

When we used to sail as a family at a sailing club, initially there was always a powered 'safety boat' around to collect capsized youngsters quickly.

After a couple of years, there was an edict from the club head office that the 'safety boat' had to be banned, as their judgement was that it was far more dangerous to have a powered craft in the water -- even in relatively careful hands -- than to let the children flounder around until rescued by canoe.

Xenia Wed 08-May-13 11:06:00

Ting, that reminds me of sailing holidays we have had on land. They are always very very careful to rope off and totally separate at resorts the swimming areas and the areas where power boats are coming in and out. That is very wise. There are also lots of Jet Ski accidents too.

Tingalingle Wed 08-May-13 11:37:00

Yes -- my father was actually trained in rescue with the safety boat but the insurance premiums he would have needed (in case of damage to others) were just too high to contemplate.

(He can't swim. He reckons that makes him a particularly safety-conscious helm!)

specialsubject Wed 08-May-13 12:44:44

tingalingle - what a load of bollocks from the club. Safety boats in trained hands, used properly WITH THE DAMN KILLCORD, not used to show off and properly maintained are fine.

if that was an RYA club they should be reported to the RYA and deregistered.

phantomnamechanger Wed 08-May-13 14:40:22

LittleAbruzzenBear - yes, people who pass driving tests can still have accidents, as can someone who has been driving 30 years with no accidents at all - but I think this case is more like people who pass their driving tests, then think they are invincible and can do whatever speed they like and don't need to wear an uncool seatbelt, because they know what they are doing and it's a lovely day and all's well...

I just HOPE that until the point of the accident they were all enjoying it. I hope to God the wife was not yelling at him to stop being an idiot/slow down sad as she and the children have enough to cope with

wishing them all strength and healing

janey68 Wed 08-May-13 21:52:53

It seems that the prognosis for the boy is better than first expected so that's something to be thankful for. But the whole family will never get over this; such a waste.

edam Wed 08-May-13 22:24:23

There seem to be a few cases where Dads on a day out with their kids in the water have caused a tragedy by taking risks with safety - there was the horrible canoeing case up in Scotland where the kids weren't wearing life jackets (or not the right life jackets, can't recall) and I'm sure there was another. (Obv. the investigation in this case is still happening so I may be entirely wrong about this and it was an equipment failure or something.)

expatinscotland Wed 08-May-13 22:37:52

The case in Scotland was shortly after DD1 died. The two men were used to taking their children out, why not? On that day, one of them had got a Canadian river canoe. They had all been camping the night before and went mackerel fishing in the canoe, but in a sea loch.

The one father had two sons, aged about 3 and 5. His sons died soon after recovery, but his own body has never been recovered.

The other had two daughters. He and the elder one, then age 8, swam the quarter mile to shore. The 5-year-old died in the same unit DD1 did the next day.

None of them were wearing proper life jackets and the water was very, the vessel was not fit for conditions or terrain and the water was very, very cold.

IIRC the inquest has not even begun, much less recorded a verdict but it's likely to be an accident.

Same as this.

This family will never be the same. EVER.

It is horrible to lose a child in such a way.

Having lost one from entirely unavoidable natural causes is utterly awful, and having met other parents whose children died in accidents, their guilt is that much worse, a truly terrible thing.

I feel for this family and hope they get the help they need.

edam Wed 08-May-13 23:17:55

Quite. The agony of losing a child is immense and it's not quantifiable so I sure it's trite to say 'plus the extra guilt if you know you are in some way responsible' but there's something there that I'm having great difficulty in expressing. Probably because it's a daft thing to try to express anyway.

Lazyjaney Wed 08-May-13 23:22:04

I hope that something positive comes out of this, and that is the Powers That Be finally force anyone who wants to use a motorboat or jet ski on open waters to have a licence of some sort.

It won't prevent all accidents, but I think it will have an impact.

expatinscotland Thu 09-May-13 01:09:12

That's why I never said it, edam, and never will. I have friends now, who lost their children through accidents. Accidents. And misadventures and even involuntary manslaughter by reason of insanity.

It is a loss, of the absolute worst kind, and there will needs be things we did not have to experience but others I know have: post-mortem, inquest. Months! These things take months. And still, your husband and child are dead.

Did you know, if you wish to cremate, or your loved one's wish was to cremate, that you cannot if there is need for inquest? You can bury, but not cremate. Did you know, if your loved one has need of post mortem, you cannot register his/her death until it is completed? If there is no need, you are given a little slip of paper, which you have exactly 7 working days under UK law, to take into a council, to record your loved one's death.

There are admin things that go with death, that on top of this woman's 'life-changing' injuries and recoveries this widow will not be able to complete until the inquest is finished and death certificates issued. And that included her husband's life insurance.

I cannot begin to imagine!

No inquest has taken place.

Details will be released then.

Until that point, other than those VERY rightly sharing boat safety, no need to speculate! I am a former climber, who once saw a 23-year-old man bleed his life out of his skull over a mistake and a 70-foot fall. Let it not happen again!

And I appreciate the posts on here from those experienced in water craft and safety, who do not condemn but share and plead for safety. This is so vital, same as it is in climbing and mountaineering!

An 8-year-old girl has lost her life, and her father, and two of the family remain in hospital gravely injured.

Xenia Thu 09-May-13 09:06:10

I don't think extra admin/licences are the answer. He may have had the kill cord - it will have to be found out. It certainly will not bring back the husband or child either way. I am not against children doing risky sports with parents - all in favour, but with sensible precautions. I presume more children are killed by a parent or cross a road every day than in boat accidents. Sadly the most dangerous place for most children is in the family home.

Tingalingle Thu 09-May-13 10:50:09

<Quick reply to SpecialS: no, not RYA, and I tend to agree that a lack of safety boat makes no one safer.>

specialsubject Thu 09-May-13 13:26:13

thanks for that. Hopefully someone will see sense and get the RYA round!

MOSagain Thu 09-May-13 18:50:37

I've thought of this terrible accident a lot since it was first on the news. I can't stop thinking about that little boy and am praying that his injuries are not as bad as first reported. My DS is the same age and I just can't imagine what his poor mother is going through. Life will never be the same for all of them again but I hope that they all recover as best they can.

oldfatandtired1 Thu 09-May-13 20:41:36

I don't know what happened in this terrible accident. But my STBX bought a yacht some years ago (a whole new thread). On the odd occasion the kids and I went we enjoyed going out on the dinghy. I had NO IDEA you were meant to attach the kill cord to your wrist/ankle. I had NO IDEA the dinghy would go round In circles if we fell out. My H is/was a high earner and he 'treated himself' to the boat. No training, no exams passed. I think we were lucky.

edam Thu 09-May-13 22:49:56

sounds like it, Emily. Your post shows exactly why rules and qualifications are required before people are let loose with dangerous equipment that they don't know how to use - worse, don't even realise there's stuff they don't know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now