'Bring them all back to Portugal’- Robert Murat on the Mccanns,in the Sunday Express

(89 Posts)
kweggie Sun 05-May-13 19:42:08

Robert Murat,(who was originally made an arguido by the Portuguese police as were Kate and Gerry McCann), has appealed to Scotland Yard to get the 'Tapas Nine' back to Portugal to stage a reconstruction of the 48 hours leading to the disappearance of Madeleine Mccann in 2007.

As Scotland Yard have so far spent an estimated 4.5 million of public money reviewing this case, is there any justifiable reason for the parents and their friends to refuse this?

jkklpu Sun 05-May-13 22:27:29

Um, if the police haven't suggested it themselves and don't think there's any mileage in it?

kweggie Sun 05-May-13 22:58:27

The Portuguese police asked them all to do it but they declined.They were back in the UK by then.

Viviennemary Sun 05-May-13 23:12:27

There doesn't seem a lot of point after all this time. And they probably feel they have answered everything they can and would be upset about going over it all again.

CognitiveOverload Sun 05-May-13 23:15:48

This is all speculation and not very sensitive or helpful.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 05-May-13 23:36:18

CognitiveOverload

This is all speculation and not very sensitive or helpful.

Indeed.

thezebrawearspurple Mon 06-May-13 01:00:54

It's too late now, the time for that was six years ago. The child is long dead.

I have had four sons....two of my children died - one because of congenital heart problems and one was knocked down and killed by a lorry. I recognise my emotions when I look into their families eyes x

The McCann family stay inside my heart and my mind always. I cannot comprehend not knowing where my child was/is.

It is indeed all speculation. x

kweggie Mon 06-May-13 09:33:10

Sorry, what is all speculation?

kweggie Mon 06-May-13 10:08:06

Police investigations are surely conducted to get at the truth. This must be what the Mccanns want. I don't think 'sensitivity' should be the main issue if a child has disappeared. Finding out what happened should.

DyeInTheEar Mon 06-May-13 11:11:09

Shabba I am sorry for your awful losses.

I feel desperately sad for the McCanns.

5318008 Mon 06-May-13 11:15:19

OP you are asking us to speculate on whether a course of action suggested by a newspaper is a good use of money.

um, no thanks.

Shabba I am so sorry for your losses sad

kweggie Mon 06-May-13 12:00:06

it wasn't suggested by a newspaper originally, it was requested by the Portuguese police. The Mccanns and their friends refused, and as they were back in the uk and it was a Portuguese investigation, they couldn't be made to attend. The Uk review has so far cost an estimated 4.5 million pounds of taxpayers' money. If a reconstruction would clarify inconsistencies in the original statements, why wouldn't you want to go and sort it out?

5318008 Mon 06-May-13 12:13:30

still not going to speculate, and as you can see from the responses, most Mners don't want to, either

If you want to speculate, ask your mates or family

HTH

kweggie Mon 06-May-13 12:16:35

this is a forum

NotTreadingGrapes Mon 06-May-13 12:19:09

Actually, I'm not going to speculate either, and nor do I want to, but there was no speculating going on as far as I can see in the first few posts that necessitated an HQ post.

kweggie Mon 06-May-13 12:24:28

sorry, what's an HQ post?

ZZZenagain Mon 06-May-13 12:31:39

post from MN HQ (head quarters), see the one coloured differently below

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Mon 06-May-13 12:40:28

I don't care how much tax payers money they spend on trying to find Madeleine McCann or any other missing child - it's money well spent. I trust her parents to do what they & the met police think is right - it breaks my heart that she is still missing, I just can't imagine what they go through on a daily basis - speculating about what they should or shouldn't be doing according to Robert Murat is a waste of time. Still if it draws attention to a child that is still missing, knock your socks off.

Booyhoo Mon 06-May-13 12:40:35

I would imagine that if the police felt a reconstruction would unearth something or show up inconsistincies they would have done it by now. Wht is murat's agenda?

Soupa Mon 06-May-13 12:43:55

Shabbysad so sorry for your loss and so much respect for your empathy.

Thank you everybody. To not know where you child is - wether they are alive or dead - must be mental torture every second of every day. I cannot comprehend how they must feel - truly cannot.

kweggie Mon 06-May-13 13:24:38

Booyhoo, that's my point. The police themselves wanted to do a reconstruction but the Mccanns and their friends didn't want to. I don't know what Robert Murat's agenda is either but if it solves what has happened to Madeleine this can only be a good thing? Why keep spending money if this would shed light on it immediately?

Booyhoo Mon 06-May-13 14:01:42

If the police really thought it would help they wouldnt have needed the mcanns and friends back to di the recon the coild have used actors.

Murat agenda is surely to shine the spotlight anywhere but himself. I wonder if hes feeling a bit of heat or paranoia and needs to deflect the attention.

kweggie Mon 06-May-13 14:18:52

but the point was that the police thought there were inconsistencies. Actors couldn't explain them or remember things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now