I voted on Thursday. Not sure it made any difference. You?

(17 Posts)
boxershorts Fri 03-May-13 13:37:40

That said, there was a seat in my area won by ONE VOTE

We have always voted. But we dont get very excited about it.

Solopower1 Fri 03-May-13 19:39:22

Keep voting. How else can we let them know what we want? If you don't vote, you can't complain when they get it wrong.

I can understand why people don't vote, but that's like lying down and letting them walk all over you.

MsVestibule Sat 04-May-13 08:27:41

I forgot! Lame, I know... I think voting in local elections is as important as voting in the general elections. Arguably, local elections can have a greater effect on our day to lives.

PoppyWearer Sat 04-May-13 08:43:02

My vote made zero difference.

BUT, voting is hugely important, please don't stop voting!

Remember the suffragettes, we are hugely privileged to even have the vote.

boxershorts Sat 04-May-13 11:30:27

I accept that Poppy

specialsubject Sat 04-May-13 20:59:56

I spoiled the paper for the first time ever - after research, I felt I could not support either candidate BUT I have the right to vote and I am honour-bound to use it.

PoppyWearer Sat 04-May-13 22:17:59

special I did that for the police commissioner election. what a load of twaddle

weblette Sat 04-May-13 22:21:10

In an area which could genuinely have a dustbin in Tory colours elected I feel I have to show there are at least a few people who think differently.

soimpressed Sat 04-May-13 22:23:33

I wanted to spoil my paper too. I had the choice of UKIP, Cons, LD and an independent who had made no effort to let anyone know anything about him. I know it's a safe area for the Conservatives but I still wanted a proper choice.

Ponders Sat 04-May-13 22:23:50

1-2-3 figures in our ward went 1061, 1016, 932 so really pretty close

turnout was under 30%

I wish more people would bother hmm

ReturnOfEmeraldGreen Sun 05-May-13 01:04:33

Labour won in my ward by 42 votes, we are surrounded by safe Tory wards. Really pleased, I delivered hundreds of leaflets and will look to be as active as I can in 2015 in getting our vote out, regardless of it not being a 'winnable' seat.

pointythings Sun 05-May-13 19:08:16

I voted - at least I had a Labour candidate to vote for this time. In previous years I've had to add a 'none of the above' box to my ballot paper and tick it, i.e. spoil my ballot, because I refuse to vote for the Tories or UKIP.

My council ward is in true blue toryland though, so it won't have made any difference. But I'll keep voting.

We didn't have any local elections so I couldn't this time. But we had our local council elections last year (or possibly the year before) and we went from a Lib Dem council back to Labour. We haven't had a Tory MP voted in since 1979 in these parts.

GibberTheMonkey Mon 06-May-13 23:46:00

We had two seats

I voted tactically
Sadly though the ones I voted for got in, Ukip still got the other one.

Solopower1 Wed 08-May-13 19:14:59

My son has just turned 18 and he said there just isn't anyone he wants to vote for, and he would have to vote tactically, ie in order to keep a particular party out. What I think he should do is vote for a small party that he mostly agrees with but knows won't get in, because that sends a message to the bigger parties that in order to win our support, they need to change their policies.

That's what has just happened with UKIP, of course (and I don't like them at all). But if more people voted Green, for example, that would send a very important message to the Labour party.

boxershorts Thu 09-May-13 12:23:49

The Greens are under publicised and UKIP over publicised

AphraBehn Thu 09-May-13 12:42:05

Greens won in my area, which has one of the highest Tory majorities in the country.

They based their campaign on planning and environment issues which are a real concern locally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now