The April Jones trial has started

(369 Posts)

The trial of Mark Bridger for the abduction and murder of April Jones plus some other charges has started today. From what I've read of the initial statements given by the prosecution, it's clearly going to be a very distressing case.
My thoughts are with all in court including the jury but most especially with April's parents who are in court. I don't know how they can bear it.

georgedawes Tue 30-Apr-13 16:24:12

It really is horrific and it's only the opening speech. God her poor family.

lottieandmia Tue 30-Apr-13 16:25:00

I would have thought so Rooney because someone posted them on the internet in October and they were then quickly removed.

bootsycollins Tue 30-Apr-13 16:26:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

RooneyMara Tue 30-Apr-13 16:27:37

oh thanks Lottie. I am so glad that this stuff wasn't leaked properly and so put in jeopardy the chance of a trial.

My heart goes out to them. How bloody strong must they be to bear this.

Nehru Tue 30-Apr-13 16:28:03

I would be careful of any judgments made on here while a trial is in progress

VERY

RooneyMara Tue 30-Apr-13 16:28:28

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

lottieandmia Tue 30-Apr-13 16:28:42

RooneyMara Tue 30-Apr-13 16:29:08

Nehru, should we report the thread - I'm not sure what we are Ok to say and what we're not.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Tue 30-Apr-13 16:45:24

HeySoulSister Tue 30-Apr-13 16:49:19

colin hatch was murdered in prison by the prisoner who also attacked Huntley...hatch haunted me for years....he murdered an 8 yr old boy. worked on the case and can never forget the horrific details. you just cant

Mutt Tue 30-Apr-13 16:58:31

This needs deleting.

Have reported.

Animation Tue 30-Apr-13 17:05:47

georgedawes Tue 30-Apr-13 17:10:25

Don't think the whole thread needs to go, just some posts.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 30-Apr-13 17:11:53

Hello

We're sure nobody on here wants to prejudice the trial.

Please be very careful not to speculate about guilt.

Animation Tue 30-Apr-13 17:12:18

Oh good lord let people express their anger!

Tingalingle Tue 30-Apr-13 17:21:28

People cannot prioritise expressing their anger over getting justice, Animation.

georgedawes Tue 30-Apr-13 17:22:21

But animation we have to be careful, he is presumed innocent til the end of the trial when the jury returns his verdict. It would be awful if anything said here harmed him getting a fair trial.

georgedawes Tue 30-Apr-13 17:24:17

Although I didn't speculate on his guilt my deleted post, I don't think.

Animation Tue 30-Apr-13 17:28:22

If we cannot express outrage this whole thread might as well be deleted as it seems disingenuous to only say poor parents .. poor little girl .. poor parents ..

What's the point?

MrsEdinburgh Tue 30-Apr-13 17:30:56

It's horrific & also bought tears to my eyes, having a young daughter.

As George rightly points out, we have to be very careful about what we write.

Growlithe Tue 30-Apr-13 17:36:27

I can't see any good coming of this thread TBH.

We can all read the news reports. We are all upset about the details within them, and the fact that April has gone and her parents are suffering in the most unimaginable way.

Now justice needs to be done, and part of that, in this online world, is responsible members of the public not putting stuff online which could prejudice the case. See it as your duty, as those poor 12 in the jury have to do their duty.

5318008 Tue 30-Apr-13 17:37:16

growlithe great post

Mutt Tue 30-Apr-13 17:37:49

Animation - it's natural that people want to speak about the trial because it is an emotional subject.

What you are not allowed to do, legally, is prejudice a fair trial with comments about the defendant and their involvement.

If you can't differentiate perhaps you should step away from the thread.

The strength that Aprils parents are showing by attending the trial is astounding.

In their position I don't think I could bear to be there for purely selfish reasons.

I wish them continued strength throughout this horrific trial. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now