Texas Fertiliser Plant Explosion

(12 Posts)
LtEveDallas Thu 18-Apr-13 09:49:34

Caught this on Twitter very early this morning. It's horrific.

BBC

NBC

CNN

Saw some reports on Sky, one of which really bought it home. A chap videoing what he thought was "just" a fire (bloody huge fire) and then there is a HUGE explosion.

Fire and other emergency services were on the scene already, and now many are missing, feared dead.

They haven't confirmed numbers yet I don't think.

This is a town called "West" that is in Central Texas.

My thoughts go out to all those involved. I'm sure we have a MNer in Texas, or maybe from Texas.

Apologies if my links don't work, sometimes I can't get through the firewall.

Unfortunatelyanxious Thu 18-Apr-13 10:04:56

I just read about this, my dbro lives in Houston so miles away, what a terrible tragedy.

Thoughts and prayers for all those involved, such sad news.

LtEveDallas Thu 18-Apr-13 10:39:05

There are concerns about toxic gases as well now, and reports of people 'missing' from a local old peoples home sad

AuntieStella Thu 18-Apr-13 10:40:36

I've seen some of the coverage and it is sounding horrendous beyond words.

It's awful. It's shocking really that a plant like that is allowed to be so close to people's homes and schools and such.

AuntieStella Thu 18-Apr-13 11:09:36

The nearest city to West is Waco.

The whole area has been sealed off. It's not yet light there, so extent of damage is hard to assess. There is a major storm belt moving through the area, and that's likely to complicate things even further.

fromparistoberlin Thu 18-Apr-13 11:11:11

and preventable, thats what enrages me

so so preventable. fuckers

and you know what, the firm will go out of business I expect

fromparistoberlin Thu 18-Apr-13 11:11:50

and why on earth people sit around filming a fire at a chemical plant, the fear in that young boys voice made me cry

Wannabestepfordwife Thu 18-Apr-13 12:37:45

So heartbreaking according to tv reports in Texas there could be 60-70 fatalities.

USA is having a horrific week my thoughts really are with all the people in Boston and west who have lost their lives or had them changed.

It's horrific isn't it? I couldn't believe how close it was to houses etc. Unbelievable.

Daylight will bring more horror. So sad.

fromparistoberlin Fri 19-Apr-13 14:18:57

why site a school right next to a chemical plant?

what do all terrorists uise in home made bombs? yup.fertilizer

It was horrific. And I so wish they hadn't played the sounds of that little girls terror when it exploded on the bbc yesterday. It haunted my dreams sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now