Samantha Brick. Again. This time we're all fat failures unless we starve ourselves.

(133 Posts)
MumfordandDaughter Thu 18-Apr-13 08:37:27

DM Link: www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2310797/Joan-Collins-right-Any-woman-wants-stay-beautiful-like--needs-diet-day-life.html

Some of her finest quotes in case anybody doesn't want to click.

"I am 42 years old and have been on a permanent diet for the past 30 years. The logic is simple and irrefutable: any self-respecting woman wants to be thin, and to be thin you need to spend your life on a diet."

"I don't believe overweight is ever attractive. Whether we like it or not, we live in an age and a part of the world where men and women regard thin as beautiful."

"I have no intention of letting my body slide flabbily into middle age. I believe that any woman with a modicum of self-respect should watch her figure with the same vigour."

"I was glad to see the back of Easter this month, as it seems to have been hijacked by the greedy masses who regard it as a free pass to gorge on chocolate."

"For three decades, self-denial has been my best friend. And one of my biggest incentives is that I know men prefer slim women."

"I have only ever dated men who kept a strict eye on my figure. My partners are not only boyfriends but weight-loss coaches."

"In the workplace, male bosses will always give the top job to a woman who looks fit and in control, rather than one who looks like a bulging sack in danger of imminent cardiac arrest."

"I fainted with hunger on one occasion - a minor hitch, eclipsed by the fact that I was being asked out on lots of dates."

"I am 5ft 11in and slimmed down to a size 8. One of my lecturers was so worried she pulled me aside to voice her concern. I put her intervention down to jealousy, as she was a size 16."

"Luckily for me, there is no better weight-loss incentive than a Frenchman. Pascal would not tolerate a fat wife and has told me that if I put on weight, our marriage is over. What more motivation do I need?"

"The world admonished Kate Moss for claiming that 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' but I'd go further. As I see it, there is nothing in life that signifies failure better than fat."

hmm

I'm thinking of giving her the benefit of the doubt. She sounds as though she still has an eating disorder and is possibly in an emotionally abusive relationship, so isn't thinking straight.

On the other hand, she may just want another five minutes' of fame...

As someone who has never been happy with my figure (despite the fact i'm in a 'healthy' BMI range) this woman has made me feel like utter poo this morning.

But i know she's wrong. This is just her opinion. My friend is about four dress sizes bigger than me and is by far the prettiest woman i know. Size doesn't equal beauty. Nor does it guarantee success.

Personally, i'd have thought an employer would rather give a promotion to someone who was larger than someone fainting with hunger.

hackmum Fri 19-Apr-13 08:29:08

mrsshackleton - I suppose so. But much as I like money, there are some things I wouldn't do for it. Like expose myself to ridicule in a national newspaper.

duchesse Fri 19-Apr-13 08:32:46

Ooh look, pathetic DM professional trolls come in both sexes. It's almost exploitative of the paper to be using their desperation to such an effect.

mrsshackleton Fri 19-Apr-13 09:22:21

Hackmum, I wouldn't do it either, but SB is living in France and been having IVF for years, her husband doesn't earn much. She has to support herself somehow and she's clearly trained herself to be immune to the nastiness and to dream up as controversial themes as possible so the gigs keep coming.

FreedomOfTheTess Fri 19-Apr-13 10:13:35

Stupid woman.

I've never been on a diet and that's God's honest truth.

msrisotto Fri 19-Apr-13 16:48:08

a bit of light relief from the poke about the brick's diet!

duchesse Fri 19-Apr-13 21:08:03

That is funny, risotto!

lljkk Sat 20-Apr-13 10:19:04

Sad the way she defines herself in terms of how much men want her or how much (she thinks) other women envy (or admire) her.

Does she herself has having any merits other than as an object of lust, resentment and envy?

Darkesteyes Sat 20-Apr-13 22:36:03

This is a brilliant take on it and mentions the fact that what her h is doing is domestic abuse.
I spotted it on the Feminism board earlier.

belle-jar.com/2013/04/18/there-is-a-special-circle-of-hell-and-its-full-of-cake/

lljkk Sun 21-Apr-13 09:38:09

Great link, Darkest.

jennywren45 Sun 21-Apr-13 09:43:31

Hang on - she's flabby, untoned and decideldy average for her age. I am older and can knock her into a cocked hat.

Her figure is NOT great.

jennywren45 Sun 21-Apr-13 14:11:40

So, he looks like a heart attack waiting to happen with that overhanging beer belly - imagine that schlapping about on top of you vomit and she is flabby with a rounded stomach .
The irony of this article - she isn't slim!
So glad they have each other! grin

JakeBullet Sun 21-Apr-13 14:15:17

She isn't real, in the same way that Shona Sibary isn't real. They are both Liz Jones wannabes, although why anyone would want her misery is a mystery to me.

jennywren45 Sun 21-Apr-13 14:15:19

I did lol at this comment,
I've puzzled for a long time why Samantha Brick doesn't complain about whoever is replacing the pictures of her slim, handsome. debonair husband with a short, overweight, ugly man with a comedy moustache
I'd also be suing the DM for putting photos of a flabby, untoned plain looking woman next to him instead of her.

giveitago Sun 21-Apr-13 14:38:16

This is probably her only source of income so she's milking it for what it's worth. Her statements get more silly and extreme as time goes on.

FasterStronger is absolutely right. She'll fizzle out soon enough.

Not worth the effort even to read the article.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Mon 22-Apr-13 11:00:01

Watching her on this morning, she seems more nervous and almost going against her article

slug Mon 22-Apr-13 12:23:01

Now I feel is an appropriate time to introduce the essential questionnaire, Who said it: Samantha Brick or Derek Zoolander?

Xenia Tue 23-Apr-13 16:43:55

Her husband is older fat and ugly and not surprisingly infertile which is the risk you take when you marry older men who have no money out of desperation when your own career fails. She is trying to earn money.

She might want to consider a sperm donor. It may be her years of dieting (rather than simply healthy eating which is very different) have affected her fertility.

She is certainly right that too many of us are fat these days. I was just thinking earlier what a shame it was there were so many active weight loss threads and I could not find one about women and business and money - it may be there but it escaped me when I looked so I'll get back to my own work/business. I suppose that's because the best way for many women to have more money is marry it still rather than earn it themselves so keeping themselves thin and attractive means that their husband still pays to keep them at home.

merrymouse Wed 24-Apr-13 23:37:36

So she never eats chocolate and is always on a diet but still has to crash diet every three months because she keeps gaining half a stone... and after all that she is an ordinary size 12?

what a palava.

SoleSource Fri 26-Apr-13 21:02:30

Samantha Thick.

donnie Sat 27-Apr-13 16:54:18

But just look at the pics guys - she seriously ain't all that. She has baggy eyes, a huge nose, a twisted mouth, uber awful root regrowth and flabby arms. FFS.

Seriously, it makes me chuckle...if you are going to set yourself up as some kind of beauty template then you need to actually be gorgeous. Samantha Brick is not gorgeous. She looks her age and looks like an ok older woman. And nothing more.

mombie Sat 27-Apr-13 17:05:19

I feel sorry for her, she seems to be really worried bout what men think of her. Which is massively alien to my fat arse.

diddl Sat 27-Apr-13 17:29:22

But how much is true & how much exaggerated?

Supposedly she's happy with her looks, husband & life-why feel sorry for her?

mathanxiety Sat 04-May-13 05:51:55

'I have only ever dated men who kept a strict eye on my figure. My partners are not only boyfriends but weight-loss coaches.

My first love continually reminded me that one can never be too rich or too thin, and my husband of five years frequently tells me that if I put on weight he will divorce me.'

Sweetie, your partners and your husband are controlling abusers taking advantage of anorexic insecurity.
And yes, the husband is old, fat and ugly. A French chauvinist. How original..

<Excellent points Xenia.>

mizu Sat 04-May-13 09:05:19

Wow. Reading these quotes - didn't link to the Mail - makes me feel sad and sorry for this woman. Is she saying all this for publicity or does she really think like that?

For the record, I have never been on a diet in my life and have pretty much (apart from after 2 children) always been a size 10. Was a bit thinner for a few months when I was ill. IMO size 8 is too thin.

sue52 Sat 04-May-13 13:20:04

The diet she says that she adheres to would not give her enough calories to maintain a constant size 12. She's obviously writes whatever tosh she thinks the Mail will pay for and print.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now