Samantha Brick. Again. This time we're all fat failures unless we starve ourselves.

(133 Posts)
MumfordandDaughter Thu 18-Apr-13 08:37:27

DM Link: www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2310797/Joan-Collins-right-Any-woman-wants-stay-beautiful-like--needs-diet-day-life.html

Some of her finest quotes in case anybody doesn't want to click.

"I am 42 years old and have been on a permanent diet for the past 30 years. The logic is simple and irrefutable: any self-respecting woman wants to be thin, and to be thin you need to spend your life on a diet."

"I don't believe overweight is ever attractive. Whether we like it or not, we live in an age and a part of the world where men and women regard thin as beautiful."

"I have no intention of letting my body slide flabbily into middle age. I believe that any woman with a modicum of self-respect should watch her figure with the same vigour."

"I was glad to see the back of Easter this month, as it seems to have been hijacked by the greedy masses who regard it as a free pass to gorge on chocolate."

"For three decades, self-denial has been my best friend. And one of my biggest incentives is that I know men prefer slim women."

"I have only ever dated men who kept a strict eye on my figure. My partners are not only boyfriends but weight-loss coaches."

"In the workplace, male bosses will always give the top job to a woman who looks fit and in control, rather than one who looks like a bulging sack in danger of imminent cardiac arrest."

"I fainted with hunger on one occasion - a minor hitch, eclipsed by the fact that I was being asked out on lots of dates."

"I am 5ft 11in and slimmed down to a size 8. One of my lecturers was so worried she pulled me aside to voice her concern. I put her intervention down to jealousy, as she was a size 16."

"Luckily for me, there is no better weight-loss incentive than a Frenchman. Pascal would not tolerate a fat wife and has told me that if I put on weight, our marriage is over. What more motivation do I need?"

"The world admonished Kate Moss for claiming that 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' but I'd go further. As I see it, there is nothing in life that signifies failure better than fat."

hmm

I'm thinking of giving her the benefit of the doubt. She sounds as though she still has an eating disorder and is possibly in an emotionally abusive relationship, so isn't thinking straight.

On the other hand, she may just want another five minutes' of fame...

As someone who has never been happy with my figure (despite the fact i'm in a 'healthy' BMI range) this woman has made me feel like utter poo this morning.

But i know she's wrong. This is just her opinion. My friend is about four dress sizes bigger than me and is by far the prettiest woman i know. Size doesn't equal beauty. Nor does it guarantee success.

Personally, i'd have thought an employer would rather give a promotion to someone who was larger than someone fainting with hunger.

Owllady Thu 18-Apr-13 16:01:32

she really is quite bonkers
Is she a relation of Liz Jones?

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad Thu 18-Apr-13 16:02:11

The Mail knows exactly what it's doing, Sam Brick is always guaranteed clicks and outrage = more publicity for this stupid rag.

Don't feed the scrawny troll.

Chubfuddler Thu 18-Apr-13 16:03:19

Didn't she write this exact article about three months ago?

Oh well. MN relationships board will be there when the scales fall from her eyes.

landofsoapandglory Thu 18-Apr-13 16:11:50

DS1(18) was just reading that article on his iPad. He piped up "Samantha Brick, aptly named because she looks like she has been hit in the face with a brick!"grin. I had to explain to him that she is most beautiful!

She would absolutely loathe me, I am 5ft4 and 8stone7. I don't diet and I don't exercise either.

DoIgetastickerforthat Thu 18-Apr-13 16:12:17

"For three decades, self denial has been my best friend" says it all really. To be fair to the women, it's hard to forge friendships when your a sour faced, judgemental trollop, who would ridicule and belittle anybody who had the misfortune of being your friend if you thought someone would bung her a couple of quid for doing it your a foreigner abroad.

ouryve Thu 18-Apr-13 16:14:55

She should have bought her judgypants a size bigger, then they wouldn't be nearly so uncomfortable in them and wouldn't need to abuse her body with constant dieting.

MummyPigsFatTummy Thu 18-Apr-13 16:18:15

LadyMountbatten, to what does thin help or make a difference? Apart from whether men fancy you or not, I mean.

Dolallytats Thu 18-Apr-13 16:18:25

I can't decide what is more tragic, that she writes this stuff, that she believes this stuff or that she does it to keep hold of someone who looks like an unfit member of the Village People.

This sort of thing being written really scares me. Our daughters could be reading this rubbish (along with what seems like every other magazine out there) and all they will be able to see is 'Female must be thin, male can suit himself'. Terrifying and so sad and the stupid bint is banging home the negative message.

diddl Thu 18-Apr-13 16:22:26

"Luckily for me, there is no better weight-loss incentive than a Frenchman. Pascal would not tolerate a fat wife and has told me that if I put on weight, our marriage is over. What more motivation do I need?"

I just don't know what to say to that.

How desperate must you be to have a man?

MummyPigsFatTummy Thu 18-Apr-13 16:23:13

Oh and I do accept that being fat is not always healthy (depending how fat you actaully are of course) but this article doesn't seem to be concerned with health at all - just looks really. I mean if someone chooses whether or not to employ you on the basis of your size, unless you are clearly unhealthy (red-faced and wheezing during the interview, say), then they are basing the decision purely on their own prejudices and not at all on whether the fat or thin person is actually better for the role.

FasterStronger Thu 18-Apr-13 16:24:08

on the upside, I think SamBrick has peaked. there will be loads less press on this than the last time.

CotedePablo Thu 18-Apr-13 16:24:41

I clicked because I didn't know who she was either. Is it rude of me to mention that her husband is as ugly as sin? She's no oil painting either mind you.

BrevilleTron Thu 18-Apr-13 16:27:21

When it comes to Samantha Brick

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits
With a 'lady' so clearly unarmed

SlimFitWellies Thu 18-Apr-13 16:27:59

CBA to read her article, but in my HO, the two most beautiful and sexy women in the world- Nigella Lawson and Isabella Rossellini both love food, and look as if they do.

MrsBucketxx Thu 18-Apr-13 16:37:51

he has a really unhealthy attitude to food, she needs help.

anyone who throws choccy away can't be normal in my book.

kelda Thu 18-Apr-13 16:41:34

She's doing it to get paid for her next round of IVF. She is desperate for the money. I can't see any other reason for her selling her soul writing this rubbish.

It's dangerous stuff though that's she's writing, because many people will be reading it, agreeing with her, and feel validated in their anti women opinions.

And it may even encourage some women and girls to go on dangerous, unhealthy diets.

SherbetVodka Thu 18-Apr-13 16:44:15

I can't decide what is more tragic, that she writes this stuff, that she believes this stuff or that she does it to keep hold of someone who looks like an unfit member of the Village People.

If she genuinely believes what she's writing, then I feel sorry for her because she appears to base her entire self worth on how attractive she is to men. And no matter how much she diets, she's still ageing. She's in her 40s already and won't have many more years left where she'll be considered conventionally attractive rather than well preserved for her age.

(Sorry, I'm not saying that I personally think that older women are unattractive. Just that mainstream society does tend to see it that way. And she obviously takes a very shallow view of what's attractive anyway).

If she isn't sincere and is just writing this shite so she can keep her job at the mail then that's almost as bad because anyone who is willing to make themselves look this bitchy and insecure, not to mention a target for national mockery, for the sake of a few quid has to be rather seriously lacking in self respect. Honestly, why would anyone do that to themselves? confused

SherbetVodka Thu 18-Apr-13 16:46:14

She is desperate for the money. I can't see any other reason for her selling her soul writing this rubbish.

You're right kelda, she is selling her soul. Shona Sibery is another one, so is Lucy Cavendish.

MummyPigsFatTummy Thu 18-Apr-13 16:55:38

I think she comes higher up the soul-selling scale than those opinion writers who involve their minor children in their pieces - I can think of two recent offenders, but I am sure there are more. I realise that may only be because she does not have children, but I hope that is not the case.

timidviper Thu 18-Apr-13 17:01:28

What a sad deluded woman she is. I am a plus size woman who has a happy marriage, healthy and well-balanced children, a nice circle of friends and a good job, for which I was head-hunted.
If Samantha Brick is correct then I should not exist as apparently everybody would judge me by my weight/podge and not like me or employ me.

I think her problem is that she is so insecure she is constantly trying to reassure herself and put others down at the same time.

Wishihadabs Thu 18-Apr-13 17:19:38

I suspect she can't fall pgs naturally because of her ongoing calorie deficit. I doubt her bone health is that good either. Reads like a e excerpt from an anorexics support group. Yuk

PoohBearsHole Thu 18-Apr-13 17:20:15

All that froma hideously unhappy woman, in a dodgy relationship with what seems like an eating disorder which has probably affected her fertility all being said and done! Being thin doesn't make her prettier, her dh doesn't look much of a catch tbh. I knw I am being bitvhy but as she has the hide of a stone rhino I can't see the point in not. And her thin body doesn't scram healthy to me as there's nothing about her figure that suggests a modicum of exercise!

PoohBearsHole Thu 18-Apr-13 17:21:49

All that froma hideously unhappy woman, in a dodgy relationship with what seems like an eating disorder which has probably affected her fertility all being said and done! Being thin doesn't make her prettier, her dh doesn't look much of a catch tbh. I knw I am being bitvhy but as she has the hide of a stone rhino I can't see the point in not. And her thin body doesn't scram healthy to me as there's nothing about her figure that suggests a modicum of exercise!

hackmum Thu 18-Apr-13 17:26:26

I'm afraid I'm drawn to these Sam Brick pieces like a moth to a flame. Obviously the DM only publishes them to wind people up - I don't know what her motive is though, apart from money.

The thing that always makes the articles for me, though, is Pascal. Imagine how annoying it would be if she was actually married to someone who looked like Brad Pitt, as opposed to some middle-aged greying bloke who is a bit paunchy and by her own admission doesn't shower or wash his socks. He is so very far from being anybody's idea of a catch that the comedy value of these pieces is absolutely priceless.

EldritchCleavage Thu 18-Apr-13 17:32:56

No, the stepson has featured MummyPigsFatTummy.

None of it's necessarily true, though, is it? I think of her articles as 'confessional fiction'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now