2 explosions at the finish line at the Boston Marathon.

(411 Posts)
landofsoapandglory Mon 15-Apr-13 20:22:00

BBC have it as news at the moment.

Sky also have it.

One person dead according to Sky on the TV.

FrubesOnTheCouch Mon 15-Apr-13 21:13:50

Bloody hell ! Not had news on all evening so just heard this now!

FrubesOnTheCouch Mon 15-Apr-13 21:14:34

Was it two explosions in same bit or different places?

Hulababy Mon 15-Apr-13 21:15:05

Two within the same hotel, only a few metres apart, according to BBC.

AuntieStella Mon 15-Apr-13 21:17:25

There were definitely runners still on the course (as media converting the race were still there and footage is being broadcast).

UK police reported (SKY) to be reviewing security, not of Thatcher's funeral, but of London Marathon which takes place this (?) weekend.

tribpot Mon 15-Apr-13 21:19:02

London marathon scheduled for 21 April.

Wannabestepfordwife Mon 15-Apr-13 21:20:59

So sad I can't help but shed a few tears. I really hope there are no more fatalities.

I really hope they catch who ever was responsible- according to eyewitness on the mail it was a bomb

Gales Mon 15-Apr-13 21:21:03

Yes, there would still be people on the course sad but most of the media coverage would have finished

landofsoapandglory Mon 15-Apr-13 21:22:00

stella I was wondering about the London marathon earlier. It would be my guess they will step up the security.

Gales Mon 15-Apr-13 21:24:37

Security for London is huge - we have to register months in advance and be police checked to run a water station.

I have so many questions as to how this could have happened...

landofsoapandglory Mon 15-Apr-13 21:31:22

They can't police check spectators though, Gales, also, what about the bins, do they seal them off?

wonderstuff Mon 15-Apr-13 21:31:54

Why on earth would anyone do this, I just can't comprehend. So crazy, those poor poor people. How traumatised must those who aren't injured be? Tragic

Darkesteyes Mon 15-Apr-13 21:34:07

According to what has been coming into my feed some of the Newtown families were there. my thoughts are with everyone affected.

landofsoapandglory Mon 15-Apr-13 21:35:06

They just said there has been a 3rd explosion at the JFK library in Boston.

I guess that rules out an accident!

They are reporting the third device on sky now, in a hotel apparently.

Sory JFK library not a hotel

Hulababy Mon 15-Apr-13 21:36:51

BBC have reported two more devices found; controlled explosions to occur.

AuntieStella Mon 15-Apr-13 21:37:24

The distance between the first known two blasts made it exceedingly unlikely it could be an accident. The third explosion (and reports of other suspicious objects) make it look criminal beyond doubt, as do the imposition of noticeable security restrictions in other cities eg round the White House.

Awful scenes. My heart goes out to them all x

Isityouorme Mon 15-Apr-13 21:40:45

JFK library is apparently just a fire and not related to explosions.

Gales Mon 15-Apr-13 21:44:01

The route including bins is checked by sniffer dogs and whatever other science they use these days. We are only allowed to use clear plastic bags for rubbish.

BBC now reporting that White House not locked down at all.

One explosion was outside JFK library (BBC)

LottieJenkins Mon 15-Apr-13 21:45:46

My friend is running on Sunday he has run every year for the last twenty years.............I wonder if they will cancel it?

landofsoapandglory Mon 15-Apr-13 21:46:31

Isityou according to Reuters police have confirmed it was an explosion at JFK library.

Gales Mon 15-Apr-13 21:47:13

I'd be amazed if they do Lottie. And disappointed. It hasn't occurred to me not to go.

NicholasTeakozy Mon 15-Apr-13 21:52:28

A chap on the BBC says he smelled cordite. What a vile thing to happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now